Revolver shooter looking for first pistol recommendation

This is a discussion on Revolver shooter looking for first pistol recommendation within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have shot a number of small 380 autos and was not particularly impressed with accuracy or fun of shooting. Sure they are accurate enough ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Revolver shooter looking for first pistol recommendation

Try a Shield

I have shot a number of small 380 autos and was not particularly impressed with accuracy or fun of shooting. Sure they are accurate enough up close, (and in reality that is what they are made for) but I like to push it out a little further. My favorite gun to shoot is a Colt Combat Commander .45. Loads of fun, very accurate, easy recoil, but a brick to carry!

A friend had just bought a M & P Shield 9mm so we went out to the local range to shoot zombies. The little 9 shoots incredibly. Headshots at 15 yards right out of the box. Smooth trigger, clean break, very modest recoil and a lot of fun to shoot. Loved it so much I bought one!

That being said, it is larger than the 380s. But the little extra size is out weighed by the accuracy.

If you want a pocket gun, go 380. If you don't mind hanging it off your belt (IWC, OWC) go with the shield.

By the way, I'm 250 pounds plus and have small hands. The Shield fits great.

2. Remove Ads

...my one 9 is a pre-rail stainless Ruger P95 decocker...the P95 is big enough to shoot well, small enough to conceal well...15+1 and easy to handle...used market $300-375...leaving money for ammo, holster, etc...I wouldn't recommend the new ones...

I love revolvers and it is my carry weapon of choice. (Ruger LCR)
    We also have a Glock 26 which I like a lot also.

As for a suggestion for you first it would be whatever is comfortable in your hand out of what is available at the time.

Right now around here ammo is just about gone as are most popular guns. Especially in 9MM.

Quote Originally Posted by revolVA View Post
    I really like the looks of this gun
    I have no reason to B.S. you. My son in-law bought a 9mm Sig Sp2022 in Sept 2012. It has a better Da/SA trigger then my West German 1990 P226 and my P239 in 9mm. 500 flewless rds thru it. You shoot wheel guns so you know to STAGE the DA pull, then you go into SA. Also you could look at a Sig P250 it has the smoothest DAO trigger i have ever felt, long better lighter then a custom wheel gun. Again Stage the trigger and you will see how got the trigger is. My son in-law paid $404 from PSA delivered to my FFL. Go to a LGS and just check out the triggers on both SP2022 and P250. Plus you cah get a P250 in 45ACP

The SR9 is a great choice but I would take a hard look at the LC9. Great for pocket carry and after all it is a RUGER!!

VIP Member
    No experience with the Ruger semi's, but I can recommend the Kahr CW9 or CZ75 Compact, PCR and P-01.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Revolver shooter looking for first pistol recommendation

Be sure and check out the Sig P250. Read all the reviews and try them in your LGS or at the range or both. Great DAO trigger and they come in 3 sizes.

I carry the sp101 90% of the time but on occasion I will take the 380 bodyguard, I have put 300 to 400 rds thru it have had no problems nice sights for a small gun an really accurate out to 15 to 20 yards keeps all rounds in a paper plate not painful at all to shoot

Ruger SR9c dont own one but alot of friends do and ive shot all of em. If 9mm was where I was headed it would be the pick of the litter hands down.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

The SR series are some really nice guns, a friend of mine in AZ carried an SR9c. I've shot it a couple times and like it a lot. I took a hard look at one before buying my M&P9c, having a half dozen M&P mags swayed my decision. The stainless slide SR is a good look if you care about aesthetics also.

If I were starting over and trying to pick a first pistol, with the selection of guns available today, my first choice would be an M&P of whichever size & caliber I preferred. A Shield would be great, if you can find one.

A Glock or Sig would be a viable choice as well, with an XD or Ruger 'P' series as honorable mention. Do not even consider a SAO pistol for your first one if you have any thoughts of CC'ing it.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member

He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

An other guy that would get a Glock 26. It is a fine carry gun. If you want to go with a 40 or 357 Sig the Glock 27 and Glock 33 are fine choices.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    I was a revolver only guy for 20 years and having gotten into semi-autos I find myself preferring ones that are hammer-fired and have DA/SA or DAO triggers. They seem to most closely resemble the feel of a revolver. The Bersa Thunder 9 ultra compact (and the newer variants) is one of my favorites for that very reason. And very well priced too. Good quality, durable, and reliable firearm.
    The Bersa Thunder 9 Ultra Compact Pro is a great gun at a very reasonable price. I think the Ruger SR9C would also be an excellent choice.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

I have been looking for the same thing I am a snubbie junkie But I think I am going to add the EMP in 9mm has a 1911 trigger which I like an easy to cc.

I'd say try to shoot friends guns/rent if you can. I have nothing in the world against Glocks, I've shot several of my friends and I'm quite handy with them to be honest, but they just don't feel good in my hands. I love their performance/reputation, but they aren't for me - I say try before you buy. I was intent on getting an SR9/SR40c to compliment my LCR, but wound up going with the M&P .40c.

I adore my M&P, but honestly the LCR still gets to ride along most of the time.

There are a lot of differing opinions on guns, but you're really not going to go wrong with any reputable semi-auto in that price range. I personally would stick with say Sig, Glock, S&W, Springfield, Ruger to be sure you get a quality piece over stepping down to say a Keltec etc (no offense to those owners).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links