Revolver shooter looking for first pistol recommendation

This is a discussion on Revolver shooter looking for first pistol recommendation within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi All, I only own a revolver (Ruger SP101 in .357), but am interested in buying a semi-auto handgun. I'd like something small enough to ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Revolver shooter looking for first pistol recommendation

Hi All,

I only own a revolver (Ruger SP101 in .357), but am interested in buying a semi-auto handgun. I'd like something small enough to conceal (I weigh 225lbs so it doesn't have to be tiny though), and something cheap enough to shoot -- so I'm probably looking for something in 9mm. I've shot the Ruger SR9c and enjoyed it, but want to check out my options before I make a purchase. My price range is under $500 -- let me know if that's not being reasonable

thanks

You're going to see a thousand different opinions...

You just have to find what feels good in your hands and points naturally for you. I currently carry a m&P 9c, but you just have to find what works for you. Find a range that rents guns and try a few of their 9mm pistols out.
    sensei2 likes this.
    Armatus Carry Solutions: Custom Kydex Holsters, mag pouches, and accessories.

It is really hard to beat a Gen 3 Glock 19, Springfield XDM 9mm or S&W M&P 9mm compact. The XDM has a grip safety.

The Ruger SR9C is a solid choice, too.

I'm not too particular about calibers or pistol brands. It's just what fits best in your own hands and what trigger feels best to you. Good luck.
    NRA, Lifetime Member

also, I have girl hands, so being able to manipulate slides, releases and safeties is harder on some larger guns

Take a look at a Sig SP2022 $400 and you should like the sweet DA/SA trigger.

Don't ask for specific recommendations or the other responding members may be called out for their opinions. Sorry, couldn't resist.

OK, seriously, the Ruger is a fine choice. I can't say I have much experience with other small 9's.

I don't own one, but I would suggest that you also look at the Sig p250. If you like a revolver style trigger you will like this gun.

NMB
    Glock or MP would be my recommendation. You could go 1911 but you would be hard pressed to find something decent in 9mm for that price range.

Go shoot or at least hold both. Buy the one that feels right.
    NRA Member
    Certified Kitchen Gunsmith

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
    - C.S. Lewis

9mm is off my list of calibers.. Cant buy it anywhere. something to think about

I'm not sure you go wrong with any modern 9mm from a reputable manufacturer. Their level of technical development is remarkable. See what fits best; try shooting it if possible. I like Beretta quality, but find them too bulky for a proper DA grip, for instance.

I was a revolver only guy for 20 years and having gotten into semi-autos I find myself preferring ones that are hammer-fired and have DA/SA or DAO triggers. They seem to most closely resemble the feel of a revolver. The Bersa Thunder 9 ultra compact (and the newer variants) is one of my favorites for that very reason. And very well priced too. Good quality, durable, and reliable firearm.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Glock 19, m&p9c, Sig 2022, The ruger as you mentioned, Beretta px storm 9mm, springfield xd 9mm, ..... to keep under 500 dollars you may have to buy used with the current market for some choices, their are many others well.

Quote Originally Posted by sebring View Post
    9mm is off my list of calibers.. Cant buy it anywhere. something to think about
    Where I'm at you can't buy ANYTHING anywhere. 22 long rifle is the hardest to find and the highest percentage increase in price recently. Crazy.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by pat701 View Post
    Take a look at a Sig SP2022 $400 and you should like the sweet DA/SA trigger.
    I really like the looks of this gun

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    I'm a Glock fan so if I were going to switch to 9mm it would be the G26. I carry a G27 now so for me an easy choice
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links