What to do with my 6" barrled revolver?

This is a discussion on What to do with my 6" barrled revolver? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Good evening everyone, I am looking for advise on what to do with my revolver. Right now I am planning on carrying my taurus 651 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: What to do with my 6" barrled revolver?

Good evening everyone,

I am looking for advise on what to do with my revolver. Right now I am planning on carrying my taurus 651 when my ccw permit comes in in the next week or two. I also have a 6" barrled taurus 66 (7 shot) that obviously is not ideal for ccw but I would like another carry gun with more than 5 shots. The 66 holds 2 more rounds and I can also hunt with it which is its primary purpose now. So what I am thinking of doing is either trading the 66 for a 4" barrled model that would be easier to carry or look into selling it to purchase a 10mm such as a glock 20 or a EAA. That way I can have something concealable that I could still hunt with.

Which route would you take and why?

Perfect for open carry.

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    if you need it for hunting duties i would keep it for that purpose. If you want something with more capacity than save up and get another. It may take a bit to save up but that is how many of us build a collection. One weapon at a time.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

I would keep the 6 inch revolver, which is an excellent choice for hunting, and spring for a new carry gun with polymer frame and short enough barrel for easy conceament, in one of the common semi auto calibers like 9mm, 40 or 45. There are dozens of choices out there, if not hundreds. The prices might range from $400 to $800, depending on what you get. Such a gun might weigh about 22 ounces, a lot less than a steel revolver, and be flat and easily concealable compared to a big revolver.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

I am not fond of 6 inch revolvers. Even for hunting I prefer a 4 inch revolver. Six inch revolvers are cumbersome for me, they are hard to sit with and are constantly catching on something. If I could trade it for a 4 inch revolver I would.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Wow you all are quick on the replies.

I was afraid I would hear just get a new gun lol. Personally what I would love to do is trade my 6" for a 4" and get something like an sr9 or sr40 and that is probably the best method but that take alot more money. I was just researching the 10mm and liked the look of the ballistics and the choices of guns. From what I could find the 10mm has more power than the standard load 357, it comes in a concealable package, more ammo capacity and the local wally world carries ammo for it at the same price as 357. It just sounded like a pretty good deal. However I would be sacrificing, accuracy and reliability(maybe) of a revolver, as well as the option to mount optics on the revolver. Oh and the ability to share ammo with my carry gun.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    I would keep the 6 inch revolver, which is an excellent choice for hunting, and spring for a new carry gun with polymer frame and short enough barrel for easy conceament, in one of the common semi auto calibers like 9mm, 40 or 45. There are dozens of choices out there, if not hundreds. The prices might range from $400 to $800, depending on what you get. Such a gun might weigh about 22 ounces, a lot less than a steel revolver, and be flat and easily concealable compared to a big revolver.

^^^^I'm in this camp here^^^^^^^^^^^^

Best advice you'll get. Don't ditch you're .357 mag, especially if you have a good shooting Taurus.
    If you were having problems with it, or it shot lousy, which they didn't, (my dad had a 4in..357 mag from Taurus and it was a good shooter) KEEP IT, and save.
    You have a CCW firearm for the moment, so there is no rush.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    I would agree with this also. The 10mm is an excellent, powerful round. It is also a caliber you will have a VERY difficult time finding ammo at most retailers. A local gun shop may have a box or two and some of the box stores MAY have some. I think you'd be better off keeping this one and saving for a common caliber (9mm, .40, .45). I had a 6" S&W 586 that would cut down most deer-sized game and smaller out to about 100 yards, as well as hog & two-legged threats. I sold mine for a 4" version only because the Sheriff's Office wouldn't allow me to carry my 6" .357. I should have kept the 6" and saved for the 4". But that was back when I was younger and when I knew everything. :)
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    You have a CCW firearm for the moment, so there is no rush.
    You have a very good point here. I suppose I need to start looking into second carry guns :). I am thinking I want something full or mid sized since I already have a small gun.

You could put a rubber cane tip on the end of it and use it for a walking stick in the woods

The issue with trading it in is they'll give you next to nothing for it at most shops. You could try selling it outright to someone, but Taurus guns (even revolvers) aren't known for great resale value.

If you really don't have much practical use for it (I have a huge 44 magnum revolver that I'm in the same boat with), then be prepared to take a hit on it when trading it in on whatever you decide just to knock a little out of pocket off your next purchase. It all depends on the number they offer. I've had some I traded in and others that I'd rather keep it than give it up for the offer.
    archer51 likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Luckly BugDude is I do deer hunt with it here in MO we can hunt with anything centerfire during firearms season and they converted muzzleloader to "alternative methods" where we can use centerfire handguns. So I get to use my taurus quite a bit. It is also my ride along gun when I cruise the backroads. The only reason I was thinking of trading it was maybe I could have a gun that would fit more roles.

I have to go along with others and say keep the 6" revolver and gat another carry gun if you wish. Since you already have a carry gun you have time to save money for the new acquisition if you need to.

shoot a Taurus 617 with ribber grip, then make up your mind. a 7 - shot 2 1/2 " barrel , .357.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    shoot a Taurus 617 with ribber grip, then make up your mind. a 7 - shot 2 1/2 " barrel , .357.
    Thats what i was looking for before I bought my 651. I don't know how you could carry that big ol cylinder IWB.

Maybe I should just custom make or buy a IWB holster for my 6" and carry it when the mood is right. I mean simply rugged will add the IWB loops for $15 extra.

VIP Member
    Have to agree with BugDude. As a trade in a revolver isn't going to bring much, especial Taurus revolvers. Not knocking the Taurus revolvers, I've had several and currently carry a model 85 when I want a light weight revolver on my hip. It's just a fact of life. If you truly want to get rid of it and get something different, sale it outright to a private individual. That will give you the best return on your money. A dealer might give you half of what it is worth.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links