Antique Wheel Guns

This is a discussion on Antique Wheel Guns within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Have been known to carry these on occasion. And no they are not antiques. Model 19, 10, 60, 40 and Detective Special. Model_19_R.JPG Mod_10_R.JPG M-60R.JPG ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Antique Wheel Guns

VIP Member
    Have been known to carry these on occasion. And no they are not antiques.

Model 19, 10, 60, 40 and Detective Special.

Model_19_R.JPG Mod_10_R.JPG M-60R.JPG S&W_Model_40_R.JPG P1010188.jpg
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

2. Remove Ads

To the OP, are you being serious, trying to be humorous or just looking to pick a fight?
    NCSoxFan likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by DSRTEAGLE357 View Post
    Would you feel comfortable carrying these??
    Sure! I Carry at times either a Colt Detective or its alloy twin Colt Cobra 38, both from early 60s, neither shot much when I got them, police guns, probably like yours, holster marks but little shot. These older revolvers were better in many opinions than contemporary: hands on work in the "old days". Both of mine shoot 6, the Detective thought by many experts to be the quintessential snub - highly accurate, easy to shoot, sweet, sweet trigger as all Colts have. (Ever shoot the renowned Colt Python 357 Mag? I have one: like a knife in warm butter, the trigger: a 357 Mag but completely comfortable to shoot):

Colt Python:(light area on grip is photo, not the grip)

Colt Cobra 38 (Detective looks exactly the same)

Plus those 60s/70s revolvers are beautiful, why not Carry them? One last thing: they will scare the you-know-what out of a perp looking down the barrel of one of those big ones. Likely you'll see dust and one fast running-away BG! I'd have them first checked by a smith to make sure they're OK if sitting around for years or something like that. Otherwise, clean 'em up, bit of oil and hit the streets (the range first of course).
    Last edited by detective; February 3rd, 2013 at 06:09 PM.
    bmcgilvray likes this.

If it shoots nicely, and without fail i'll cary it no worries, oh and no black powder, too much smoke
    “But now,” he said, “take your money and a traveler’s bag. And if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one!” Luke 22:36 (NLT)

The only concern I'd have is that firing pin on the hammer. Heard horror stories of those
    guns going off if dropped with the hammer over a round in the cylinder. Made a five shot
    out of a six shooter with the hammer down on an empty cylinder.

One ( just one ) of my regrets is having inherited two old Iver-Johnsons ( Owls Head ),
    a blued .32 and a nickel plated .36 get away from me. A Chief aboard ship wanted an
    HD gun for his wife while we were away and I sold the .36 hammer-less to him. I think
    I got $25 for it. Too old to remember what happened to the .32. They both came out
    of Gramp-paws saloon and I can imagine there were some tales that went with them.

My Avatar is the real deal !
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

Barrel length and grip design

One of the two guns you show is a 4 inch S&W model 19 with large target grips. You could carry this concealed, but it would be a lot easier with the same gun in 2.5 inch barrel and round butt grips, as shown below. The 4 inch barrel and large size grips are harder to conceal. I have often carried the snubby model 19 below, and it is easy to conceal because of its short, rounded contours.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Senior Member Array GentlemanJim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DSRTEAGLE357 View Post
    Would you feel comfortable carrying these??
    You are just showing off.

Jim

Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar
    I have a 1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special. My uncle owned a pawn shop in Houston and bought it new. He carried it for 40 years and probably never shot it. My cousin (his oldest son) took over the shop and the gun. He carried for about another 10 years. I bought it about 10 years ago from him when he retired. I don't know if he ever shot it. I have put a total of 2 rounds through it since then just to see if it worked.

I am going to clean it up, oil it and take it to the range. I bought 200 rounds at Wally World. I want about 200 more so I can take my 14 yo grandson with me so he can shoot for his first time.
    detective and bmcgilvray like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Absolutely! And since bmcgilvray is away on travel, I'll add a proxy vote for him as well.

Looks like a Ruger Security Six and a S&W Model 19? Or is the S&W an N-frame? The designs may not be new, but those are very rugged and reliable guns which fire a proven round, the .357 magnum.
    I had to go back and look. Your right, it does say Security Six on the frame of the gun, however it also appears to have the fixed channel sights. To my knowledge the Service and Speed Six were fixed sights and the Security Six was adjustable sights. I've never seen a Security Six with the channel sights.

To the OP. If in fact it does say Security Six and has fixed sights. Call Ruger with the serial number. Spend a few bucks and get the history of the gun. You may have a gun that is worth some money to a Ruger collector.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybm View Post
    The only concern I'd have is that firing pin on the hammer. Heard horror stories of those
    guns going off if dropped with the hammer over a round in the cylinder. Made a five shot
    out of a six shooter with the hammer down on an empty cylinder.

One ( just one ) of my regrets is having inherited two old Iver-Johnsons ( Owls Head ),
    a blued .32 and a nickel plated .36 get away from me. A Chief aboard ship wanted an
    HD gun for his wife while we were away and I sold the .36 hammer-less to him. I think
    I got $25 for it. Too old to remember what happened to the .32. They both came out
    of Gramp-paws saloon and I can imagine there were some tales that went with them.

My Avatar is the real deal !
    No, you must be thinking of a Colt SA which, to keep to original specs, has no transfer bar. But any double action revolver will have had for decades and decades either a transfer-bar safety or hammer-block safety, either of which keep a block between the hammer and the round's primer. Only while pulling the trigger is it released so the firing pin can make contact with the primer. Soon as you fire, block goes back into place.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by detective View Post
    No, you must be thinking of a Colt SA which, to keep to original specs, has no transfer bar. But any double action revolver will have had for decades and decades either a transfer-bar safety or hammer-block safety, either of which keep a block between the hammer and the round's primer. Only while pulling the trigger is it released so the firing pin can make contact with the primer. Soon as you fire, block goes back into place.
    The early model (three screw) Ruger SA revolvers were designed the same way, the firing pin rested on the primer under the hammer. After Ruger was raped in a lawsuit brought by an individual who dropped a revolver with all six chambers loaded and it discharged and shot him in the leg Ruger redesigned them to include the transfer bar and re-designated them the New Model (two pin).
    detective likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Senior Member Array royal barnes's Avatar
    I carry either a Colt Cobra(1965) or a Colt Agent(1969). My truck gun is a Smith Model 10 2"(1970) and my house guns are a Smith Model 66(1980) and a Smith Model 60(1973). Are you calling me an antique?!!!
    detective likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Most of my pistols are revolvers. What I carry most is a SW 642
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

Lead Moderator
    Sure, why not?
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

VIP Member
    I sure would.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links