Defensive Carry banner

Searching for a New, Full-Sized 9mm

8K views 40 replies 37 participants last post by  Phaedrus 
#1 ·
After fruitlessly attempting to find a new full-sized 9mm (Glock, Ruger, S&W) at local gun shops and on-line, I was very much surprised to locate a new Springfield XD-9 (capacity 19 rounds) at the local military exchange for ~$630. Should I snatch this up now, or wait and see if the market gets any better? I figure any 9mm with a 19 round capacity is a rare find these days. Advice welcome.

#5 ·
Seems high (they are $579.99 at my LGS), but as you pointed out the market may or may not get better. I think I would wait, but then I don't know if you need the gun or just want the gun.

Edit: I just realized you are talking about the XDM-9. Those are $639.99, so your $630 seems like a fine price.

#6 ·
My wife has the XDm 9mm 4.5" with 19+1 and we couldn't be happier for competition IDPA/USPSA and doubles as her home defense gun, has a rail for lights and lasers and stone cold reliable accurate. I think the plain XD is the same gun in non-match grade barrel. Hard to beat these in general. The barrels ride a little higher than Glocks but the perceived recoil is less, sweet shooters. We bought hers because she could not find a grip on any of the other brands that felt as comfortable. Springer Precision and a lot of other online outfits have endless upgrades, options, sights, holsters for these models. Of course I love some of the DAO double action 9mm guns like my Sig P250 and my friends H&K which are pretty fantastic. I feel a little safer carrying the DAO service pistols and since I love revolvers I can shoot the crap out of them. This is a short range test of her 9mm against my 45 Springfield XDm9 and XDm45 FACEOFF INTERNET CAFE STYLE - YouTube

P.S The XDm trigger kits bring them to a whole other level but you loose some of the combat safety of the heavier stock break.

By the way I've located brand new XDm's in stock for less than that XD. Also think about Glocks with their amazing warranty coverage. I might wait also if I were you and make a better more perfect decision, prices will go down after all this Biden Obama insanity gets crushed.

#10 ·
If it's what you want, then by all means go ahead and get it.

Just curious as to where your at in VA. Unless something has changed recently, the Ft Lee Exchange doesn't carry gun. :mad:

#14 ·
Buy it. It's high unless it's an XDM but with the market the way it is it's probably the best you'll get. I LOVE, LOVE, my XD's and XDM's, and really all my Springers in general. To whomever was talking about Glock's CS, I've never had to deal with Glock's so I can't say about theirs but Springfield Armory's CS is second to none. Seriously.

#16 ·
At the Marine Exchange at Camp.Allen. Stopped by Langley AFB....some crummy Taurus 9mm's.

#17 ·
Try looking also for a Beretta M9. There are lots of them floating around and they are a rock of a pistol and a future collector's piece!

#19 ·
That pretty much explains it then. I had heard that the NEX System carrys guns. Wish AAFEES would start carrying them.

#21 ·
The xd pistols are great guns. I regretted trading my xd 40 away. You wont regret and if you do you will get very close to what you paid for it if you sell it later.

#22 ·
CZ75 B will change your life. The CZ Shadow will make you a fanatic! Don't say I didn't warn you.

Walther PPQ also gets high marks.

Since you mentioned service pistols, I included these. The CZ's aren't optimal for CC. The compact, PCR or P01 models are. The PPQ is also getting into a reasonable CC size.

#23 ·
My vote goes to Sig, either the P226 or P229

#27 ·
Maybe a look at the Beretta PX4 Storm compact, hickock45 has a demo on you-tube. I just picked up the PX4 Storm SC with 2-13rd mag. for the same cost as my M&P 9 fullsize.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.