Kahr MK9 vs. P380, or any other small gun?

This is a discussion on Kahr MK9 vs. P380, or any other small gun? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking around for a smaller gun. I have thought of going with a .380 because generally speaking they are available in much smaller ...

Thread: Kahr MK9 vs. P380, or any other small gun?

Kahr MK9 vs. P380, or any other small gun?

I am looking around for a smaller gun. I have thought of going with a .380 because generally speaking they are available in much smaller packages. I know there are a lot of compact 9mm's out there also. I like the Kahr K's, and am ordering either a 9 or 40 (probably the 40) as a more primary carry gun. They feel awesome in my hands and I want something I can shoot with great precision. Having a full metal frame is one of the big factors in that decision. It also carries through to the MK series also. Considering the size - it is .1" taller, .15" wider, and .4" longer than the P380 = not much different. Weight isn't an issue, heavier the better I think (to a point). A light gun often means controlability and accuracy degradation for me.

So considering the compact'ness of the MK9 - how well does it shoot? What can you compare it to?

I would throw in the MK40 for discussion's sake, but I'm not going to go that route. My guess is the .40 is a handful in comparison to the 9mm.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by gun1 View Post
    I am looking around for a smaller gun. I have thought of going with a .380 because generally speaking they are available in much smaller packages. I know there are a lot of compact 9mm's out there also. I like the Kahr K's, and am ordering either a 9 or 40 (probably the 40) as a more primary carry gun. They feel awesome in my hands and I want something I can shoot with great precision. Having a full metal frame is one of the big factors in that decision. It also carries through to the MK series also. Considering the size - it is .1" taller, .15" wider, and .4" longer than the P380 = not much different. Weight isn't an issue, heavier the better I think (to a point). A light gun often means controlability and accuracy degradation for me.
    - I own the Kahr MK9, PM9 and P380, so I can hopefully give you an informed response.

If you're going to carry IWB or OWB, then the MK9 or PM9 would be a better choice than the P380. Both are very slim and compact guns. The MK9 is going to be an easier gun to shoot due to it's heavier weight. The PM9 is going to recoil a little more due to it's lighter weight. The PM9 is a much more pleasant gun to carry. When I carry the PM9 all day, I can easily forget it's there. I can't do that with the MK9. Due to that reason, I haven't carried my MK9 in over a decade.

Considering the size - it is .1" taller, .15" wider, and .4" longer than the P380 = not much different. Weight isn't an issue, heavier the better I think (to a point). A light gun often means controlability and accuracy degradation for me.
    - On paper, that might not seem like a lot, but in person the P380 is a lot smaller. It also weighs less fully loaded than the PM9 unloaded. If you're going to pocket carry, that's a world of difference.

I would throw in the MK40 for discussion's sake, but I'm not going to go that route. My guess is the .40 is a handful in comparison to the 9mm.
    - The recoil on the MK40 is a little snappier than the MK9, but it's manageable. I chose the MK9 simply because I wanted the extra round.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks for the reply tokerblue. Question for you, or anyone else for that matter, regarding the grips on the MK9 - I just saw in the spec's it is a "textured hard nylon" material. The K's have "textured soft polymer" grips. How much of a difference is there? How comfortable are the hard nylon grips on the MK's vs. the soft polymer on the K's? The first time I picked up a K it just "melted" in to my hand and was a perfect fit. I am guessing the ergonomics of the MK's is very similar, just a more compact version and maybe not as "sticky/grippy"?

Beretta nano
    " A free people ought not only to be armed & disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms & ammo to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them including their own government"
    George Washington

Mk9
    +1 to what Tokerblue said.

I have the MK9, the PM9, and the P380. The MK9 is my favorite to shoot. It is sturdier and has less recoil. However, the weight means that since I pocket carry, I generally carry it with sturdy pants. When I'm wearing lighter pants, such as a suit, I go with the PM9 (lighter) or the P380 (lighter and significantly smaller).

If you really don't care about weight, I'd go with the MK9. Kahrs of the same model are not all the same...some are flawless and some are flawed. My P380 took a lot of work to get it to 95 per cent reliability. I attribute that to the size and presence of a loaded chamber indicator and magazine disconnect. The .380 round and 9mm round are basically the same width, but the 9mm kahrs are .15 inches wider, meaning more room for error.

Of course, you could buy a P380 and have it be perfect. Many have.

It will never be as lovely as your MK9. If you buy one, you must get wood grips.

The K's have "textured soft polymer" grips. How much of a difference is there? How comfortable are the hard nylon grips on the MK's vs. the soft polymer on the K's?
    - I have a very early model of the MK9, so I don't know if the grip material is different on the newer ones. The grips on mine are a little slippery, but are comfortable.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks for the reply tokerblue. Question for you, or anyone else for that matter, regarding the grips on the MK9 - I just saw in the spec's it is a "textured hard nylon" material. The K's have "textured soft polymer" grips. How much of a difference is there? How comfortable are the hard nylon grips on the MK's vs. the soft polymer on the K's? The first time I picked up a K it just "melted" in to my hand and was a perfect fit. I am guessing the ergonomics of the MK's is very similar, just a more compact version and maybe not as "sticky/grippy"?

zonker1986 has posted a great pohoto of his Mk9 with wood grips. i suspect you're not restricted to the grips that come on the gun. see what's available after market.

The .380 sized pistols, even those chambered in 9mm are poor substitutes for a more capable defensive gun like the G19, M&P9, G30, etc. The mini guns are much harder to shoot well and have much lower capacity. Personally, therefore, I would very, very rarely consider a mini pistol to be a "primary" defense weapon. But they can be good back-up weapons.

I have a PM9 and a P938. Both are excellent mini pistols which can serve well as back-up guns. But they are not so easy to shoot well and have relatively low capacity.

With a decent IWB holster and an ample-weight, untucked t-shirt, carrying a more capable compact pistol (like a G19) is so easy that I can't see choosing anything smaller as a primary defense gun.
    The clowns in government office see the solution to everything is write more laws, creating the ever-mounting morass of legal handicaps that we citizens must labor under.

STATE'S RIGHTS RULE and should be INVIOLATE. Feds butt out!

I have a P380. I want an MK9. I always have the P380 one me when I'm not sleeping or at work. Sometimes it plays backup, but it's always with me.
    Glock 23 - CZ 452 ZKM Special
    Walther P22 - LMT STD 16
    Mossberg 500A - Kahr P380
    Henry H001Y - Winchester 12
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield
    Mossberg 500B - Marlin 336Y

My IWB's are a K40 and a Bersa Satin Nickel 380cc. All metal and works for me - like the weight. I don't think the MK's give you much over a K series unless you carry AIWB and I would think they'd be rather heavy for most pocket carry situations. - could be good for ankle carry though.
    I always aim for the right eye...and I never miss - Goldeneye

I own a mk9, k9 and a p380. The grip of the k9 and the mk9 are night and day. I hated the grip on the mk9 and immediately put wood grips on it. I had the mk9 for a little over a year and then bought my K9 about 3 months ago. Since I bought my K9, the mk9 has mostly stayed in the safe. The K9 is not much bigger but I can shoot super accurately. The mk9 is a pretty good shooter but I feel much more confident with k9. I have thought about putting the wood grips on my K9 but the soft polymer is soooo comfortable.

I am not a huge fan of .380 but I do love my p380. I mostly use it when I make a quick errand and need to stick a gun in my pocket. I have thought about selling it a couple of times but I can't seem to part with it. I especially like it when I cannot conceal a bigger gun very easily.

Attached is a picture of the mk9 with the wood grips.
    Attached Images

Kahr MK9 is an excellent carry gun.

I've had a Kahr MK9 for about 5 years and have shot it quite a bit at the range. I have also carried it IWB at the appendix position, where it conceals very easily. The dimensions of the gun make it small and flat, although it weighs about 24 ounces empty, due to all steel construction. The trigger pull is long and smooth, breaking at about 7 pounds. This makes it easy to shoot well with the gun. Mine came with both a 7 round and a 6 round magazine. I put a grip extender on the 6 round magazine, giving me a full finger grip without really affecting concealability. I also have wood grips for the gun, which are more attractive than the stock plastic.

My MK9 has been perfectly reliable through about 1000 rounds. The picture below shows that its size is not much greater than a Sig P238, a .380 gun.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DHart View Post
    The .380 sized pistols, even those chambered in 9mm are poor substitutes for a more capable defensive gun like the G19, M&P9, G30, etc. The mini guns are much harder to shoot well and have much lower capacity. Personally, therefore, I would very, very rarely consider a mini pistol to be a "primary" defense weapon. But they can be good back-up weapons.
    I feel that training is the biggest factor in regards to the effectiveness of your carry gun. A Kahr CM9, M&P Shield, Beretta Nano, Ruger LC9 exc. are great concealed carry guns that are very easy to shoot, have adequate firepower, and can be carried comfortably. I don't feel they are poor substitutes, I would instead term them excellent alternatives. Every gun has it's place.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Links