.45 acp pistol decision

This is a discussion on .45 acp pistol decision within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My LGS has both a used Kimber Tactical Pro II and a Colt Combat Commander for sale for $900 each. While I think that may ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: .45 acp pistol decision

.45 acp pistol decision

My LGS has both a used Kimber Tactical Pro II and a Colt Combat Commander for sale for $900 each. While I think that may be a bit overpriced, I have recently desired a commander sized 1911 and am tempted. Both have been modified with sight and grip changes. Given just the make and model, which do you think is more desirable and reliable for carry? Thanks all.

2. Remove Ads

Modified as in how??

I Like Kimber better but that's my opinion because I have one lol
    Sig Sauer P229 SCT, Sig Sauer P938, Glock 19 Gen 4, Glock 17 Gen 3, Remington 870, Grandpa's Old Single Shot 12 Gauge

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves. Abraham Lincoln

NMB
    Colt hands down.
    oneshot likes this.
    NRA Member
    Certified Kitchen Gunsmith

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
    - C.S. Lewis

Colt
    oneshot likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Colt make GREAT GUNS.

Easy choice, Colt!!
    oneshot likes this.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

I've never had a Colt. I do have a Kimber Ultra Raptor II. The Kimber is a beautiful gun, a flawless example of craftsmanship, and a work of art in my opinion. I don't regret buying it, but it's almost too pretty. You don't want to scuff the finish, so you avoid Kydex or any signs of holster wear. You want to keep it clean and pristine as the day you bought it. Sooooooooooooo, the Kimber doesn't go out much. That's just my experience. Other Kimber owners may feel differently about theirs.

In retrospect, if I was looking for a 1911 for practical purposes, I would go with the Colt.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Kimber's are beautiful, but I'd do the Colt if for no other reason than the heritage.
    USM1976 likes this.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

neither since you can get a Springfield Champion NIB for less than those two used. JMO....sorry. I'd pass on both.
    bigmacque likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

.45 acp pistol decision

Colt.

This is not a difficult choice. The Colt will hold it's value much better than the Kimber. Although many people have great experiences with Kimber, an equal number do not.

If you do a good job with customizations (by the right gunsmith), the Colt's value could very well increase. There is less customization to do to a Kimber, but keep in mind that all of them are the same. Cookie-cutter!
    oneshot likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Glockman10mm says Colt. Decision made. And the choice is between Colt and Kimber.
    mwhartman likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

.45 acp pistol decision

Colt

I would go with Colt, I have a Colt and love it.

Be safe!
    NEVER point a gun at something you are not prepared to destroy!
    AND for GODS sake, get your finger off the trigger until you are ready to squeeze the trigger!

To paraphrase something I read once on here in somebody's sig, with apologies to the Glock guys:

"Kimbers are the guns you show your friends, Colts are the guns you show your enemies."

To paraphrase something I read once on here in somebody's sig, with apologies to the Glock guys:

"Kimbers are the guns you show your friends, Colts are the guns you show your enemies."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links