Colt 1908...

This is a discussion on Colt 1908... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Questions... Some time ago, I built a concealed carry rig for an attorney pal of mine who carries a 1908 Colt .380. It's a dandy ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By DaveWorkman

Thread: Colt 1908...

Colt 1908...

Questions...

Some time ago, I built a concealed carry rig for an attorney pal of mine who carries a 1908 Colt .380. It's a dandy little gun, a real shooter, he says, and I am curious about some things.

Does anyone here pack one of those pistols? The .380 isn't the best round, of course, but it definitely meets the first rule of a gunfight.

If you do carry one:

Why?

What ammunition do you use?

Do you have spare magazines and were they difficult to find?

What holster do you use?

Ever had any reliability issues?

Did you buy the gun or inherit it?

I watched Humphrey Bogart blast a Nazi Sunday at the end of Casablanca with a 1908. Round up the usual suspects....
    shooterX likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Not to steer your thread into a different direction but does his gun look like the one on bottom right of this pic?

3358184731_cfc3ba61eb.jpg
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rcher View Post
    Not to steer your thread into a different direction but does his gun look like the one on bottom right of this pic?

Nice collection. I see you also have the 1908 vest pocket gun in .25ACP. My sister want's one of those. I can't talk her out of it. My other sister has Model 9 Walther in .25ACP (looks, shoots, and feels like a brand new gun but it's 80 years old) that she carries every day.

Fitch
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity"Sigmund Freud

The Colt 1908 that Rcher pictured above is the more expensive of a series of three identical weapons from Colt, FN & Husqvarna. I own the Husqvarna m/1907 in 380. The original design is by John M. Browning. It is definitely an amazing shooter! I inherited mine from my father and it has the honor of being a safe-queen. My only wish, since I will not carry a 380, is that it was at least a 9mm. It is extremely thin even though it is a 5" barrel, all metal weapon.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Quote Originally Posted by Rcher View Post

Yeah, that's the animal, looks like.

Quote Originally Posted by 357and40 View Post
    The Colt 1908 that Rcher pictured above is the more expensive of a series of three identical weapons from Colt, FN & Husqvarna. I own the Husqvarna m/1907 in 380. The original design is by John M. Browning. It is definitely an amazing shooter! I inherited mine from my father and it has the honor of being a safe-queen. My only wish, since I will not carry a 380, is that it was at least a 9mm. It is extremely thin even though it is a 5" barrel, all metal weapon.
    Well, here's looking at you, kid....

Play it again, Sam,///

I had both a Colt 1903 .32 ACP and a 1908 .380 ACP. The 1908 was never reliable with fmj, and I sold it. On the other hand, the .32 never malfunctioned. The Colt .32 lived in the car glove box for may years, before being replaced by a CZ-82 in 9mm Mak.

FWIW.

Quote Originally Posted by gold40 View Post
    I had both a Colt 1903 .32 ACP and a 1908 .380 ACP. The 1908 was never reliable with fmj, and I sold it. On the other hand, the .32 never malfunctioned. The Colt .32 lived in the car glove box for may years, before being replaced by a CZ-82 in 9mm Mak.

FWIW.

The 1908 was never reliable with FMJ? Ye, gads man, it was DESIGNED for that round.

Methinks you got a lemon. Even in them days, an occasional pistol got past the quality control people.

Links