Colt 1908...

This is a discussion on Colt 1908... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Questions... Some time ago, I built a concealed carry rig for an attorney pal of mine who carries a 1908 Colt .380. It's a dandy ...

Results 1 to 8 of 8
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By DaveWorkman

Thread: Colt 1908...

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Array DaveWorkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Bellevue, WA
    Posts
    541

    Colt 1908...

    Questions...

    Some time ago, I built a concealed carry rig for an attorney pal of mine who carries a 1908 Colt .380. It's a dandy little gun, a real shooter, he says, and I am curious about some things.

    Does anyone here pack one of those pistols? The .380 isn't the best round, of course, but it definitely meets the first rule of a gunfight.

    If you do carry one:

    Why?

    What ammunition do you use?

    Do you have spare magazines and were they difficult to find?

    What holster do you use?

    Ever had any reliability issues?


    Did you buy the gun or inherit it?


    I watched Humphrey Bogart blast a Nazi Sunday at the end of Casablanca with a 1908. Round up the usual suspects....
    shooterX likes this.

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #2
    Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    1,747
    Not to steer your thread into a different direction but does his gun look like the one on bottom right of this pic?

    3358184731_cfc3ba61eb.jpg
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

  4. #3
    Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    So. Central PA
    Posts
    1,603
    Quote Originally Posted by Rcher View Post
    Not to steer your thread into a different direction but does his gun look like the one on bottom right of this pic?

    3358184731_cfc3ba61eb.jpg
    Nice collection. I see you also have the 1908 vest pocket gun in .25ACP. My sister want's one of those. I can't talk her out of it. My other sister has Model 9 Walther in .25ACP (looks, shoots, and feels like a brand new gun but it's 80 years old) that she carries every day.

    Fitch
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity"Sigmund Freud

  5. #4
    VIP Member Array 357and40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    St. Charles, Missouri
    Posts
    2,179
    The Colt 1908 that Rcher pictured above is the more expensive of a series of three identical weapons from Colt, FN & Husqvarna. I own the Husqvarna m/1907 in 380. The original design is by John M. Browning. It is definitely an amazing shooter! I inherited mine from my father and it has the honor of being a safe-queen. My only wish, since I will not carry a 380, is that it was at least a 9mm. It is extremely thin even though it is a 5" barrel, all metal weapon.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

  6. #5
    Senior Member
    Array DaveWorkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Bellevue, WA
    Posts
    541
    Quote Originally Posted by Rcher View Post
    Not to steer your thread into a different direction but does his gun look like the one on bottom right of this pic?

    3358184731_cfc3ba61eb.jpg
    Yeah, that's the animal, looks like.

  7. #6
    Senior Member
    Array DaveWorkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Bellevue, WA
    Posts
    541
    Quote Originally Posted by 357and40 View Post
    The Colt 1908 that Rcher pictured above is the more expensive of a series of three identical weapons from Colt, FN & Husqvarna. I own the Husqvarna m/1907 in 380. The original design is by John M. Browning. It is definitely an amazing shooter! I inherited mine from my father and it has the honor of being a safe-queen. My only wish, since I will not carry a 380, is that it was at least a 9mm. It is extremely thin even though it is a 5" barrel, all metal weapon.
    Well, here's looking at you, kid....

    Play it again, Sam,///

  8. #7
    Member Array gold40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    183
    I had both a Colt 1903 .32 ACP and a 1908 .380 ACP. The 1908 was never reliable with fmj, and I sold it. On the other hand, the .32 never malfunctioned. The Colt .32 lived in the car glove box for may years, before being replaced by a CZ-82 in 9mm Mak.

    FWIW.

  9. #8
    Senior Member
    Array DaveWorkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Bellevue, WA
    Posts
    541
    Quote Originally Posted by gold40 View Post
    I had both a Colt 1903 .32 ACP and a 1908 .380 ACP. The 1908 was never reliable with fmj, and I sold it. On the other hand, the .32 never malfunctioned. The Colt .32 lived in the car glove box for may years, before being replaced by a CZ-82 in 9mm Mak.

    FWIW.

    The 1908 was never reliable with FMJ? Ye, gads man, it was DESIGNED for that round.

    Methinks you got a lemon. Even in them days, an occasional pistol got past the quality control people.

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

1908 colt .380 concealed
,
1908 colt 308 carry pistol
,
casablanca colt 32
,

colt 1907 .380

,

colt 1908 380 ccw

,
colt 1908 380 for concealed carry
,

colt 1908 380 history

,
colt 1908 as everyday carry
,
colt 1908 carry
,
colt 1908 in 9mm
,
colt 1908 safe to carry with round in chamber
,

colt 380 1907

Click on a term to search for related topics.