Range time, brief, with the forty fives.

This is a discussion on Range time, brief, with the forty fives. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm experiencing a severe withdrawal from gunsmoke. Couldn't take it any longer. So this morning I loaded two magazines for each of my forty fives ...

Thread: Range time, brief, with the forty fives.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar

Range time, brief, with the forty fives.

I'm experiencing a severe withdrawal from gunsmoke. Couldn't take it any longer. So this morning I loaded two magazines for each of my forty fives and went to the range. I figured even if it was 23F (feels like 11F) outside, I could shoot that much before my fingers froze and shattered. Besides, I've never fired either the SIG C3 or the Glock 30. Both of them are brand new. I did fire the XDs in January but that's at least 3 weeks ago. There is good news in there, with the temperature so low the mud was frozen solid!

Anyway, here's the target (the two holes with marker through them are from when I was shooting at it with my deer rifle at 547 yards).

I was shooting standing off hand at 7 yards. I fired the SIG C3 first. The round at ~11:00 in the orange dot was the first shot I ever fired with it. The three in the orange blob but to the lower left are my screw ups, not the gun. I was very pleased with how the gun shoots. It performed flawlessly. I'd adjusted the over travel on the trigger two days ago and it seems to be fine. I love the trigger on that gun.

The XDs was second. I figured I better shoot that bit of pocket thunder before my hands got much colder. It was also flawless.

The Glock 30 was last. By the time I got to it my fingers were getting numb. But I have to say, it shoots just fine. There are 20 rounds in that orange outline, two full magazines, the first two magazines I've ever fired out of it. I've fired thousands of rounds out of a Glock 19 and 26, several hundred out of a 36, but this was the first 20 out of my new G30.

I'm delighted with all three pistols. The oldest one is the XDs which arrived Christmas day. The other two were aquired since then.

Because the guns are so new, I was shooting factory ammo. I made a run of .45ACP practice ammo on the Dillon yesterday. I should be good for a while.

Did I mention I love the smell of gunsmoke in the morning?

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

2. Remove Ads

The smell of gunsmoke is always good. Good shooting.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

VIP Member
    Nice shootin. That G30 should start growing on you.

I'm starting to experience withdrawals myself. I just got in a stack of Wilson stainless service mags for my old Colt. 'Just enough reason to dig into the ammo reserve and pull out a few of my favorites.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Nice shooting with each. You can always blame any flyers on the shivers. I can't, it's in the mid-70s here.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I shoot low and left with my Sig 220C till I remember to shift my POA just a tad higher.

haha, shame on you OldVet ... it was 24 here in the sunny south this morning, supposed
    to hit 50 but I won't be holding my breath. At least the wind has calmed, that helps some.

Don't think you have a problem hitting COM Fitch.
    To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

VIP Member
    Never messed with the Glocks or the XD, but I owned the Sig RCS and loved the way it handled. It and the C3 are the same basic gun, minus the dehorn job the RCS had on it.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Glad you enjoyed the range time. Good shooting. I've said is before, a day at the range is always a good day (I guess unless you're Chris Kyle. An American Hero. RIP.).

I'm in Central PA. We finally had some sun shine today. I almost went to the range. I spent 5 min outside and my fingers were way too cold. Darn hurry SPRING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

went to the range Saturday to run some rounds through LC9..first time shooting it...nice gun...laser was way off with the calibration..gun was shooting about 3 inches to the left of the red dot at 5 yrds out...tight grouping where the rounds were hitting...had to make adjustments when I got back home..will test those out next week. Range was great but they were running out of Ammo...2 box limit to customers and this was at 12pm...range didn't close until 9pm... don't think they made it with just 10000 round left at 12pm..long day..

Thanks for sharing this! Those of us who haven't shot in a while can live vicariously through you. That image almost makes up for the scary Steven Tyler picture posted earlier.

Thanks folks.

We are going to have a house full of guests this weekend (9 staying over night). Four of them have their CCL (from New York State). Sunday it's supposed to be sunny and at least in the high 30's. None of them have shot my 45's, so maybe we get to have some fun before they all head home mid day?

Holding that thought!

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Those dont look anything close to 45 acp holes that i punch . If your orange circles are truly 1" in diameter, than two holes side by side should almost cover the entire diameter of the circle. Are you sure you didnt accidentally show pictures of a 22? I dont mean any offense to your post, but my .452 diameter 45 acp bullet holes are much larger than what you posted. Bunker
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Quote Originally Posted by bunker View Post
    Those dont look anything close to 45 acp holes that i punch . If your orange circles are truly 1" in diameter, than two holes side by side should almost cover the entire diameter of the circle. Are you sure you didnt accidentally show pictures of a 22? I dont mean any offense to your post, but my .452 diameter 45 acp bullet holes are much larger than what you posted. Bunker
    I fired American Eagle 230g FMJ RN out of these three guns at:

At this target:

The orange dots are ~1-1/4" in diameter. I didn't measure them, I thought they were an inch.

Edited to add:
    If you look closely at the bullet holes, the paper is torn on all of them in a radial pattern that extends out to end at approximently a 1/4 inch from the center of the bullet hole. You can see it in this picture if you look closely. The round nose bullet isn't a wad cutter, it starts a hole, rubs a bit, then tears the paper and makes it way through. The paper has a considerably smaller hole than the diameter of the bullet. The ends of the radial tears are much closer to bullet diameter.

Fitch
    Last edited by Fitch; February 5th, 2013 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Added the part about tearing by bullet holes.

Okay, sorry, didnt mean to bash you at all. Guess i am used to wad cutters making a big "hole punch" type of mark. I can see what you mean by the paper crumpling at corners where the bullet hit the paper. Good shooting. Wish my groups were that small. Nice pics of the guns too... very nice collection. bunker
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Links