gun for the car? - Page 2

gun for the car?

This is a discussion on gun for the car? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My in the car gun is my gun that I carry. When I get into my car I put my gun somewhere so if I ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: gun for the car?

My in the car gun is my gun that I carry. When I get into my car I put my gun somewhere so if I need it I can grab it quickly. I would never have a gun that is just for the car. I already have rims on my car and a aftermarket head unit (radio) (12" woofers in the trunk) so I already have to worry about people looking at my car any ways. So I have to hide my head units remote then take the face off the head unit unhide and remove my iPod Touch 4g, so I try to not leave anything of value in my car.
    USM1976 likes this.

So if criminals were stealing guns off of your person, would you not recommend carrying a gun on your person?

Criminals steal guns from homes...should we not keep guns in our homes?

Criminals steal guns from safes...should we not keep guns in our safes?

Criminals are going to be criminals.

Having a concealed gun which is easily accessible to you while you are driving is good defensive carry preparation.

Leaving your gun unsecured is not wise...locking the car is one method of securing the firearm...it is secured inside of your vehicle.

How many locks do you have to place between your gun and the thief to make the gun secure from the thieves?

If the gun is kept concealed and the criminals don't know that a gun is in the car, the criminal has to either break into the car or steal the car to be in a position of gaining the knowledge of the whereabouts of your gun.

The decision to keep or not to keep a concealed gun in your car while you are not in your car is a choice you are free to make. How you secure your firearms when they are not on your person is your decision to make. The number of locks you place between your guns and the thief is your decision to make. Keeping your gun out of plain-sight and placing just one lock between your gun and the thief is being a responsible gun owner.

The criminal is responsible for his/her own actions.

You are not an irresponsible gun owner because a criminal chose to commit another criminal act.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

never leave your gun in your car. You'll just end up being the law abiding citizen providing weapons to the non-law abiding.
    USM1976 likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    never leave your gun in your car. You'll just end up being the law abiding citizen providing weapons to the non-law abiding.
    Provide ~ 1. to make available; furnish. 2. to supply or equip.

Leaving your gun concealed and LOCKED in your car is in no way "providing" that gun to anyone.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

gun for the car?

If you already have two you may look into a car holster of some form for under the dash or around the center console.

If you were dead set on leaving a pistol in the car pick up a hi point. They are cheap and they dont get picky if you run them over.

Si vis pacem, para bellum
    gun_bushido likes this.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

Quote Originally Posted by gun_bushido View Post
    howdy folks!

was just wondering if was over doing it?

i carry a primary and a bug, but was wondering if i should have a gun for
    the car?

what i mean is, does anyone have a gun that is easily accessible while seated instead
    of drawing their primary/bug?

i just don't like to get out of the car and have to replace something that is "concealed"
    before going on with my day.

thanks in advance
    Maybe make the Primary or BUG your "car gun" while driving...then taking it with you when you park. I would mount a holster that fits one of those in the vehicle for easier access while driving. Just an idea!
    1MoreGoodGuy likes this.
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

I don't see any problem with having a car gun personally,(I have a shotgun and rifle just for that purpose) if I was going to get a designated car gun I would get something like a hi-point and leave it concealed but accessible in the vehicle at all times.

Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreGoodGuy View Post
    So if criminals were stealing guns off of your person, would you not recommend carrying a gun on your person?

Criminals steal guns from homes...should we not keep guns in our homes?

Criminals steal guns from safes...should we not keep guns in our safes?

Criminals are going to be criminals.

Having a concealed gun which is easily accessible to you while you are driving is good defensive carry preparation.

Leaving your gun unsecured is not wise...locking the car is one method of securing the firearm...it is secured inside of your vehicle.

How many locks do you have to place between your gun and the thief to make the gun secure from the thieves?

If the gun is kept concealed and the criminals don't know that a gun is in the car, the criminal has to either break into the car or steal the car to be in a position of gaining the knowledge of the whereabouts of your gun.

The decision to keep or not to keep a concealed gun in your car while you are not in your car is a choice you are free to make. How you secure your firearms when they are not on your person is your decision to make. The number of locks you place between your guns and the thief is your decision to make. Keeping your gun out of plain-sight and placing just one lock between your gun and the thief is being a responsible gun owner.

The criminal is responsible for his/her own actions.

You are not an irresponsible gun owner because a criminal chose to commit another criminal act.
    Too true

I have a beat up Ruger Police Service Six 4" 38SPCL that I use as a car gun. It comes inside my home with me every night but while at work I lock it up in a safe. I don't want to be digging into my pocket to grab my LCR and as long as I am in a car and am not worrying about the weight of a gun for carrying on my person I want a higher capacity and longer barrel.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

gun for the car?

I've considered having a dedicated car gun several times, as others have said though my biggest concern is theft. I'm not worried about losing the gun to theft, I'm worried about some scumbag criminal winding up with something deadly.

That being said however, I rarely ride with my handguns concealed on my person, they usually get placed somewhere near me in the vehicle.

Ideally a car gun for me is a long gun, something I can get in a pinch if I had to hoof it home in a bad spot (disasters, riots, attacks what have you). That may sound paranoid to some, it's just added insurance to me. A cheap lever gun that could share ammo with my .38 LCR would be a good fit.

In my state (Missouri), any non-felon can legally have a handgun anywhere in their automobile with no special permit required. Most of my friends leave a "car gun" in the center counsole or glove box. We don't worry much about theft, as that is rare. In 40+ years, I have never had a handgun stolen from my home or auto.

Many friends leave an older .38 revolver in the car; some have a .22 semi-auto pistol instead. My current car gun is a used CZ-82 in 9mm Mak. Most of us also have a box of suitable ammo somewhere in the car -- in case we want to plink or practice. Some also have a matchng IWB holster in the car; just in case.

Many choose a handgun that already has blue wear or scratches, and is typically worth less than $500; but is functionally 100% reliable. Not so much due to threat of theft, as to likelihood it will collect further cosmetic wear in the glove box.

Fortunately, I've never had to actually use my car gun; nor have any of my friends.

gold40

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    I carry a 9mm in an owb leather holster and have absolutely no problem drawing the weapon while seated in the car. However I would caution you against discharging a firearm inside a vehicle unless you absolutely have no other choice. Quite possibly you will be deaf for the remainder of your life.
    gun_bushido likes this.
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

I love the remora just for your dilema, carry it cross draw while driving then shift to strong side upon arrival

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    if youre carrying,youre gtg

I and my brother have holsters screwed down in our cars that our CCW goes into when in the car for quick access. Getting out of the car is a simple shift from one holster to another. BTW I have shot from inside my car without hearing protection and after a couple of hours the ringing went away and I still hear perfectly. I was in a Gun Fighting Course that taught shooting from in and around a car. When it was my turn to drive up and shoot, I rolled down the passenger window and the drivers window, the RO said Fight, I did not have my Electronic Ears on, drew my gun and fired 3 rounds at BOB the target and only after I did the shooting did I realize that I had no hearing protection on. In the event that any of us has a Shoot the BG issue, we will not likely have hearing or eye protection on when that occurs.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links