Defensive Carry banner

How often do you clean it?

2K views 24 replies 25 participants last post by  sixgun 
#1 ·
Although I prefer to shoot often, and always clean my guns after I shoot, there are many times I don't have time to shoot. However, I carry daily, and recognize that dust and dirt collect in my carry gun. How often do you clean your carry gun, even if you don't shoot it?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

#5 ·
I admit it, my Glock and M&P don't get cleaned all that often. My 1911 gets cleaned after every shooting.

#6 ·
Also about every month of carry for the dust that gets in there. Sometimes more frequently.

And after every time out to the range. ;)

Be safe!

Reactions: Alex_C
#7 ·
If I shoot them, I clean them.
If they sit in the safe for a while, I clean them.
I just took three long guns out of the safe that have not been touched for quite a while...just wanted to wipe them down.
I enjoy gun cleaning, but then I don't have to go to work any more...a bad day cleaning guns is better than a good day at work.:yup:

#8 ·
Although I prefer to shoot often, and always clean my guns after I shoot, there are many times I don't have time to shoot. However, I carry daily, and recognize that dust and dirt collect in my carry gun. How often do you clean your carry gun, even if you don't shoot it?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
​Daily for EDCG & BUG.

#11 ·
I clean after every shoot and if not fired at least monthly. The C&R are cleaned at least quarterly and my Big Bang Calcium carbide cannons that the grand kids shoot on New Year's Eve and the Fourth of July are washed down with a garden hose after firing.

#12 ·
After every shooting.

Pretty ridiculous but i can't stand a dirty weapon.

On the flip side my uncle has an XD-9SC that's never been cleaned with god knows how many rounds put through it and its never had a single malfunction of any sort... He claims he'll clean it whenever it acts up lol

#18 ·
I clean after every use, even if it is only a single shot taken at a varmint. I may shoot any of a number of different firearms and it bugs me to know one is put up dirty. If I didn't adopt the habit if cleaning after use then the dirty, neglected ones might pile up. They are stored with a thin coating of RIG applied to their surfaces. All firearms are given a regular inspection ever few months or when I think about it. Coatings of RIG are probably replaced about annually.

No rust ever.

Over and above cleaning, it bugs me for a gun to be stored away not sighted in for a favored load.

#25 ·
My carry Ill clean each time I shoot. Or if I havent shot for a while about once a month. My 22s about every couple hundred rounds well thats about how many Ill run through in a range sesion. My other guns that sit in the safe most I clean them when I put them away for a long time. And then do a spring cleaning so to speak. And UGHHH its getting close to that time. Lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.