Wife Carry Gun Ruger lcp/P3AT vs S&W 642/442

This is a discussion on Wife Carry Gun Ruger lcp/P3AT vs S&W 642/442 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well I am looking for a gun for my wife to Conceal Carry. I came across a good deal on a used chrome slide P3AT ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Wife Carry Gun Ruger lcp/P3AT vs S&W 642/442

Well I am looking for a gun for my wife to Conceal Carry. I came across a good deal on a used chrome slide P3AT for only $250 however I hear they have issues.

My debate and question is how is the recoil on the 380 on the lcp/P3AT vs 38 special from the 642/442. Never shot either so I am looking for help. I am also looking for input from maybe women or husbands of wifes that carry one of the above.

The biggest advantage the 642 has is it goes bang and nothing complicated. the big advantage on the lcp/P3at is the 6+1=7 so 2 extra rounds and also reloads are quicker if she can rack the slide Im hope she can. The advantage also in the semi is how thin and much smaller it is. My wife is fairly thin and small 5'2 about 110-115Lbs.

Also hows the 5 rounds of 38 vs 7 rounds of 380?

Any advice is appreciated.

Take the .38. More penetration, no jamming, heavier bullet. Trust me, you'll not regret this decision. The .38 Airweight is a better choice. Were it my wife, I would begin scouting about and looking for a decent used model. The Centennial, after a bit of a trigger job, will deliver a deeper penetrating bullet than the .380 ever could. Even in a standard loading, the .38 S&W Special will outperform the .380 ACP every time!

Scott

Somewhere Near Lucky Ned Pepper's Hideout

It really depends on what SHE wants. Do yourself a huge favor and take her to a range that rents guns and let her try some out. Better yet, enroll her into an introduction to firearms for ladies. Those type of classes usually allow women to get hands-on training from professionals.

Let her choose her own gun.
    miller_man, Foxy, 10thmtn and 1 others like this.

To answer your direct question first. Having shot both the lcp has a snappier recoil than 38. Having said that let her shoot some different firearms. She may surprise you with what she decides SHE is more comfortable with.
    DandLfam likes this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Well she held both she seems to think the 642 fits better in her hands she can hold on to it a little better than the lcp due to a little larger handle. However idk if she can conceal it as well due to the width of the cylinder.

I know the 38 is more powerful than the 380 but its 5 vs 7 gives her 2 extra rounds incase of a miss or two.

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    If you want to increase your collection of guns, do as I did when my wife stated she wanted her own gun. I rushed out and bought her a XD40 5" and she hated it. I went out the next day and bought her a LC9 and she hated the slide and safety. I then bought her a LCP and she didn't like the slide. So on the next Saturday I bought a LCR-CT .38 and just knew she would not like it. Wrong, she loves it. In hindsight, I should have bought her a Colt 1911. LOL

Do as Jesters Dead recommended and let your wife selected the weapon of her choice.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Believe me, the extra rounds of the .380 (if they don't penetrate deeply enough) will be of no use to her. Practice with the mechanically positive revolver and she'll come out on top. Placing the .38's in the chest will more likely penetrate the sternum and reach the "plumbing." The extra rounds won't do the trick if the first two don't make a difference.

Scott

well another reason shes anxious to buy a gun and start CCW is shes worried along with me that this gun and ammo shortage is never going to end. What is your guys prespective on the current shortage on everything. I went to bass pro the other day the guns were gone even handguns I was blown away.

I wouldn't discount the KelTec P-3AT...I've had one for over 8 years and it has always gone bang. KelTec customer service is excellent.
    My wife found the KelTec .32 (which looks identical to the .380) and chose to carry that because it is so easily concealed. Not my preference for her, but it's HER choice. Better the .32 than nothing.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I wouldn't discount the KelTec P-3AT...I've had one for over 8 years and it has always gone bang. KelTec customer service is excellent.
    My wife found the KelTec .32 (which looks identical to the .380) and chose to carry that because it is so easily concealed. Not my preference for her, but it's HER choice. Better the .32 than nothing.
    Well I can get a used P3AT with black frame and chrome slide in good shape with 2 mags for 260 shipped. Is that a good price currently?

Quote Originally Posted by dbraves8 View Post
    Well she held both she seems to think the 642 fits better in her hands she can hold on to it a little better than the lcp due to a little larger handle. However idk if she can conceal it as well due to the width of the cylinder.

I know the 38 is more powerful than the 380 but its 5 vs 7 gives her 2 extra rounds incase of a miss or two.
    If she thinks the 642 fits better then it probably does and she will shoot better because of it.

2 extra rounds of 380 is a none-factor in the decision.

We are talking about a CC weapon if I recall.

Has anyone ever been in a situation where 5 rounds was not enough?

I recall that the average shots fired in self defense situations was between 2-3.
    "A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
    - George Washington

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    I started my former wife out on revolver snubbie s+w cheif special.Pulling a slide back is difficult as some ladies are not comfortable having one in the pipe
    just starting out,whereas,revolver fill the cylinder you are good to go!

Quote Originally Posted by dbraves8 View Post
    Well I can get a used P3AT with black frame and chrome slide in good shape with 2 mags for 260 shipped. Is that a good price currently?
    Yes, very good price, but keep in mind that a P-3AT is not a fun gun at the range...tough on the fingers (after 50 rounds), but it will be a dependable gun that is easy to hide.
    My wife likes her .32, and I very much like the P-3AT. For me it's an easy gun to slip into the pocket. I'll never get rid of mine.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

The LCP will be a little easier to conceal while the 442 will be a little easier to shoot. I like my LCP a lot but I'd trade it in a heartbeat for a no lock 442.

I agree with these guys in buy her what SHE feels is the better gun in hand. Personally my wife doesn't like shooting my J frame, a 642 airweight. She will shoot my P3AT however.

They have different recoil. The revolver tends to recoil back and upward where the auto tends to snap more straight back into the hand. To me I really can't tell you which is worse, I love shooting both.

With the revolver you can practice with light wadcutter loads for less recoil.

If possible rent different guns and let her decide. Be safe and have fun!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links