FNH Five-Seven USG Pistol, 5.7X28mm

This is a discussion on FNH Five-Seven USG Pistol, 5.7X28mm within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone own one of these? I would love to hear how you like it. If you don't own one please share what you've read ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FNH Five-Seven USG Pistol, 5.7X28mm

FNH Five-Seven USG Pistol, 5.7X28mm

Does anyone own one of these? I would love to hear how you like it.

If you don't own one please share what you've read or heard.

This is one of the fastest rounds I've ever heard of in a pistol. Does anyone know if this is like a equivalent to the .223 in that it tumbles?

I read that this round was chosen so it did not exit..but it is so fast (over 2,000 fps).

Thanx

2. Remove Ads

Me and another friend have the 5.7 USG model . I have carried it , but it isnt my usually car gun . It is a little bulky for everyday carry . But on the other hand , it is one of the best shooting guns i own , Very accurate , very little recoil , and a VERY fast , and VERY flat shooting round . I have shot SS195 , SS192 , SS196 through it , and i have stocked up on the 195 . The 196 is slow(only about 1650 fps) and shooting slightly low and left . But with the 195 , i can shoot about a 2" group at 25' . I have read that the 192 , and the 195 ammo both tumble and deform on impact with soft tissue . The entire gun , loaded with 21 rounds in it is only about a pound and a half , lighter than my 1911's empty . It is a little pricey , but if you can swing it , you wont be disappionted .
    What part of FL are you in ? Shoot me a PM .
    Anyone make a IWB holster for my AR ??

Do a search on glocktalk.com and see what there is to see....long raging debate over there....
    As far a terminal ballistics go, 5.56 (223) doesn't really tumble, it fragments (well, it's supposed to anyways)

Got to fondle one some months back. Very lite and it felt good in the hand. Very unique. I should have bought one when I had the money and the chance.

http://fivesevenforum.com/forums/index.php

GO here. join in and you can pick up loads of info,,,I did and am not as in dis-favor as before,, it may be a good round after all.

I shot one quite a bit last year. Can't speak for the "tumbling" or stopping power because I don't know. But I do know it's fast, flat, accurate, recoils like a .22 magnum & carries 21 rounds without a reload. From those standpoints it's PURE FUN to shoot. As a CCW I'm SURE your question is gonna' generate some very "passionate" opinions. Anybody have any eye-witnessed facts on stopping performance? I'd sure like to catch a coyote not paying attention.

Since the armor piercing ammo it was designed for is illegal, 5.7X28mm, for civilian use, is really an answer in search of a question...

Lew
    Quote Originally Posted by JKFrost68 View Post
    Since the armor piercing ammo it was designed for is illegal, 5.7X28mm, for civilian use, is really an answer in search of a question...
    While partially correct, you don't have the complete truth. The 5.7x 28 is not illegal. This is the size of the round fired.

Currently FNH USA has 8 variants of this round.

• SS190 Duty Round = Class III Restricted
    • SS191 Tracer Round = Class III Restricted
    • SS193 Sub Sonic = Class III Restricted
    • SS195LF Lead Free = Commercial Sporting/Civialian Use
    • SS196 Sporting Round = Commercial Sporting/Civilian Use
    • SS197 Sporting Round = Commercial Sporting/Civilian Use
    • 5.7x28mm Blank = Other Use
    • 5.7x28mm Dummy Round

Derived directly from FNH USA Here.

Personally I want a FiveseveN and a P90 to go with it.
    There are 2 types of people, victims and the prepared. I choose to be prepared....

"Bless thee, O Lord, This handgrenade, that it may blow thine enemies to bits. Amen" ~Monty Python's Holy Grail

My Blazer Website

My new, Unofficial Cam and Company Fan site.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Firstly, none of the bullets "tumble". They might pitch and yaw,but not tumble(as in end over end). Remember the bullets rotational velocity is close to 300,000rpm. Faster with a 1:7 twist.

I have shot both the pistol and (civ.) rifle version of these weapons. Recoil is like a .22mag. They're fast for a pistol and very slow for a rifle. I can't speak to the accuracy potential. Have a friend that owns both and he loves them both. He uses the P90 to compete in our carbine matches. In the near future we will be knocking over heavy steel plates. We'll see how he likes the P90 then. He'll probably start bringing his AK.

I'd like to have the P90,but I am the kind of person that looks for the application in everything.

I have,as yet,been able to find that in the P90. And especially in the pistol(Five SeveN) -------

Lead Moderator
    Terminal performance may not be as good as other calibers, bullets. Seems like a good platform for its intended use, but not sure about self defense. I would worry about over penetration.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by Lew View Post
    While partially correct, you don't have the complete truth. The 5.7x 28 is not illegal. This is the size of the round fired.

Currently FNH USA has 8 variants of this round.

• SS190 Duty Round = Class III Restricted
    • SS191 Tracer Round = Class III Restricted
    • SS193 Sub Sonic = Class III Restricted
    • SS195LF Lead Free = Commercial Sporting/Civialian Use
    • SS196 Sporting Round = Commercial Sporting/Civilian Use
    • SS197 Sporting Round = Commercial Sporting/Civilian Use
    • 5.7x28mm Blank = Other Use
    • 5.7x28mm Dummy Round

Derived directly from FNH USA Here.

Personally I want a FiveseveN and a P90 to go with it.

Uh... No, I was correct. The entire reason for the 5.7X28 was as a military round, designed from the start to defeat personal body armor, and as I stated, the armor piercing round is illegal for civilians. I never stated that all 5.7X28 was illegal, I just pointed out the fact that without the armor piercing rounds, it is an answer in search of a question... Unless your engaging aliens on distant planets.

I was going to pick up a Five-seveN as a carry weapon back in February, but couldn't quite swing the $800+ price tag. So I settled on an SW99 in .40. My next pistol purchase will be a Five-seveN, however, I need a Springfield Armory M1A first. :)
    Discretion is the better part of valour; and a virtue beyond reproach.
    Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Well it and the P90 seem feared by bad guys across the Galaxy. A friend of mine that has shot them in Malaysia says one of the problems with the P90 is that the mag is fragile. The pistol would be a fun gun to own and you would get a lot of stares at the range! Ammo is not cheap though.

Administrator
    I had a chance to do some plinking with one when they first hit the market. I was impressed with the cartridge, but not the gun. It seems more of a novelty type gun, like the AR pistols. Not really useful for much of anything other than plinking or maybe varmint shooting.

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
    Do a search on glocktalk.com and see what there is to see....long raging debate over there....
    Along with almost every other subject brought up in those stomping grounds....

I hope this place never becomes that bad -- I suspect it wont, with our excellent group of mods here .......

Not meant to hijack the thread, and I'd like to hear your take on the 5-7 once you try it.....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links