CCW for daughter

This is a discussion on CCW for daughter within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Greetings all! Looking for a great concealed carry gun for my daughter. Shooting only 7 months, she's become very proficient with my Charter .38 SPL ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: CCW for daughter

CCW for daughter

Greetings all!

Looking for a great concealed carry gun for my daughter. Shooting only 7 months, she's become very proficient with my Charter .38 SPL undercover snub. I was considering a semi-auto for her such as the Ruger LC9 or the Baretta Nano as I would prefer for her to have a larger caliber than a .380 or .38 SPL. The problem I see is racking the slide on the semi. It just seems too difficult for her to do it smoothly and quickly and too easy to do it incorrectly under stress. (I know, train, train, train). She's fine with recoil, but it seems to me a revolver would be a more reliable and simple weapon to use under stress. Aim and shoot until it goes click. She a small woman, 5'4" 105 lbs. Concealment of revolvers is not as easy as semi auto, I think, especially for a young woman and especially in warm weather. So what I'm looking for is a small, light revolver .38 SPL +P. Considering Ruger LCR and S&W 637 or 638 Airweight. Any ideas?

Tom
    U.S. Army 1973 -1976, Southeastern Signal School Ft. Gordon GA 1973 -1974, Berlin Brigade 1975 -1976.

2. Remove Ads

First, I'd ask HER if she'd prefer a semi or auto. If she doesn't like a gun, she's not going to carry it or want to practice with it.

As far as semis go, Cornered Cat | If you have to fight, fight like a cornered cat. has a great article on racking the slide. Trust me, we can handle it if we choose a semi, even us little gals.

From what I've read, propel either love or hate the LC9. I carried one for about 6 months. Easy as can be to conceal, but I hated the trigger pull. Sold it and got an XDsc. I carry that one daily now and love it. (I'm about your daughters size)

Www.packingpretty.com is a great resource IMO for dressing around a gun.

(too easy to rack a slide incorrectly under stress?! I don't understand how you can rack it wrong? I carry with one in the chamber anyway, but that line confuses me)
    Chaplain Scott likes this.

Simple question. Simple gun. LCR .357 with .38s. Nice & simple

I wouldn't pick a carry gun for any woman in my life. I'd let her decide, offering minimal advice, and follow behind with my checkbook to pay for it. Even if I didn't like what she picked. Neither would I teach my wife or daughter a concealed weapon class. Basic safety, sure, but no more than that. I wouldn't pick her purse or shoes either. Getting her what I think she needs is a recipie for disaster.
    Lish, sauerpuss, MrsHB and 4 others like this.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

loan her your revolver until she tests out enough to know what she wants. Consider that revolver gone. You have have a great reason to shop for a new revolver.

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    Mine is turning 21 later this year and she wants hers.Last time she was here on school break,I took her to the range and let her become familiar with a few of mine.Sad thing is,the one she liked the best was my colt 1903 with pearl handles.It was my grandfathers........So we went to LGS and let her handle some more( Dont know if I could part with the colt)

Thanks Lish, great reply. What I mean by racking the slide wrong, is not gripping it correctly, not pulling it back far enough to chamber the first round quickly, pinching fingers etc. Training is key of course, but a stressful situation can cause anyone to make mistakes, sweaty or wet fingers. You're absolutely correct it is her preference, but it just seems a revolver would be more practical but more difficult to conceal. Thanks again for your comments.
    U.S. Army 1973 -1976, Southeastern Signal School Ft. Gordon GA 1973 -1974, Berlin Brigade 1975 -1976.

Thanks DaveCO. She's put a few hundred rounds through my revolver and is very comfortable with it. But she thinks it would be difficult to carry concealed. I would certainly let her have that one and get a new one, but I'm kind of attached to it, (or should I say it's attached to me.... :-) )

Senior Member Array KoriBustard's Avatar
    Youtube blogger faliaphotography has posted a number of videos about CCW (firearms and holsters) for women. I've pointed a number of women to her channel and they've all felt her reviews and opinions are very useful. I think she does an excellent job with this subject. Here's one, but there are many more.

Selecting a First Handgun (woman's perspective) - YouTube
    NRA Member
    GOAL Member
    Certified NRA RSO
    EDC: M&P 9c

Quote Originally Posted by tommynoll1991 View Post
    Thanks Lish, great reply. What I mean by racking the slide wrong, is not gripping it correctly, not pulling it back far enough to chamber the first round quickly, pinching fingers etc. Training is key of course, but a stressful situation can cause anyone to make mistakes, sweaty or wet fingers. You're absolutely correct it is her preference, but it just seems a revolver would be more practical but more difficult to conceal. Thanks again for your comments.
    Gotcha. I rack the slide more by holding the slide with my weak hand and thrusting the gun forward with my right. The hardest thing for me is engaging the darn slide lock button, I've had that problem with all my guns though, so it's not my gun it's my hand strength. It's only an issue when I clean it, otherwise I load the magazine, chamber a round, drop the mag and add another round back in the mag. Extra steps but it does the trick and saves me the frustration.

I carry a double stack...I wonder if a revolver is much more difficult to conceal? Idk I've never tried to carry a revolver.

Quote Originally Posted by Lish View Post
    First, I'd ask HER if she'd prefer a semi or auto. If she doesn't like a gun, she's not going to carry it or want to practice with it.

As far as semis go, Cornered Cat | If you have to fight, fight like a cornered cat. has a great article on racking the slide. Trust me, we can handle it if we choose a semi, even us little gals.

From what I've read, propel either love or hate the LC9. I carried one for about 6 months. Easy as can be to conceal, but I hated the trigger pull. Sold it and got an XDsc. I carry that one daily now and love it. (I'm about your daughters size)

Www.packingpretty.com is a great resource IMO for dressing around a gun.

(too easy to rack a slide incorrectly under stress?! I don't understand how you can rack it wrong? I carry with one in the chamber anyway, but that line confuses me)
    Well said, let her decide what is best for her. She will be happy and you wont waste money.

I'd prefer she didn't carry with one in the chamber, especially if she decides on the Baretta Nano which doesn't have a manual safety. Racking is going to have to happen, and happen quickly. That's a great tip Lish, holding the slide in the left hand and pushing forward with the right hand. I'll have her try that and see if it helps.

I've trained quite a few new female shooters, and the one they all liked is the Smith & Wesson M&P 9C. I made the mistake of letting
    my daughter shoot mine, and it now lives north of Atlanta. Highly recommend....great ergos and dead nuts accurate little pistol.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

When I first started carrying, I felt more comfortable with the safety on. Once I got used to it, and got comfortable drawing, and made sure I had good practices in place about staying off the trigger, I stopped using the thumb safety even back when I had one. One thing I will say about thumb safeties is practice flipping it off when drawing under stress. I'd be just as concerned about being proficient with that as I would be about racking the slide under stress.

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    I've trained quite a few new female shooters, and the one they all liked is the Smith & Wesson M&P 9C. I made the mistake of letting
    my daughter shoot mine, and it now lives north of Atlanta. Highly recommend....great ergos and dead nuts accurate little pistol.
    I LOVED the S&W 9c when I rented one!!! It's definetly on my list of "one days" An added bonus is the removable backstrap can be replaced with a glitter one if she's into a little bling! :D My husband has said when he gets around to getting his permit he wants an XD like mine. I've offered to remove the pink from the etching on mine so it can be "his" (I'm not that nice, it'd be so I could get an M&P.)I'd still be able to shoot the XD but would have the M&P as "mine"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links