What Should I Do?

What Should I Do?

This is a discussion on What Should I Do? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a conundrum, I own 4 handguns: M&P 40, M&P9c, Kel Tec PF9, and a Taurus 740. The M&P40 is my HD gun and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Should I Do?

What Should I Do?

I have a conundrum, I own 4 handguns: M&P 40, M&P9c, Kel Tec PF9, and a Taurus 740. The M&P40 is my HD gun and is set up as such with a light and extended magazines (I really don't need a long gun for HD because I live in a condo in a high rise building), I never carry it, that isn't it's purpose for me. The M&P9c is my EDC most days, unless I need something really small like for running, then I carry the PF9. I know Kel Tec has a less than stellar reputation, but mine runs fine and I have made a few mods (fiber optic sights, heavier recoil spring) to it.

My issue comes from what to do with the Taurus. I bought it right when I first got into concealed carry last year and honestly wish I never had. At the time, I only had the M&P40 and was taken in by the slimline .40 option. Long story short, the thing is a piece of fecal matter. It has had 3 major issues since I've owned it and since I last got it back from Taurus CS I haven't even bothered to take it to the range, it sits in it's box. The issue is complicated by the fact that right after buying it I bought 2 additional mags and 4 grip extensions, overall I have about $500 invested into it. So my question is what I should I do with it? Should I:

A) Keep it.
    B) Try to sell it on consignment at a LGS, I can do this for a 20% take on their part, IF someone buys it.
    C) Try to sell it straight up. I've never done a private gun sale so that is uncharted territory for me, I've always been the buyer from FFLs.
    D) Something else?

from one who has had sticker shock trying to sell a Taurus back to a gun store, I'd say keep it or sell privately to get more for it. Taurus handguns like the 740 have
    a very low resale value. I gave one of my three to a relative that did not have a gun (after two major catastrophic failures and trips to Miami) and sold a 24/7 .45 to
    a guy that wanted a beater gun. I sent all my three Taurus polymer catastrophies back to Miami until the problems were fixed.....I could never sell or even give a gun
    away that I did not think was working correctly. I'm now down to a First Gen PT145 that has been perfect since it went to Miami four years ago. Its my last resort for
    a carry gun......once bitten and all.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Well if you just dont want the thing you could always give it to me I like Taurus.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    I'd rather have a 9mm or .40 Shield than any Taurus.

Quote Originally Posted by clarkston_cz View Post
    I'd rather have a 9mm or .40 Shield than any Taurus.
    Well no poop* (*self edited), I like my 9c. Amazingly my PF9 is actually very reliable, I guess I can't win the lottery twice. The bigger issue is do/how I offload the Taurus or should I just keep it.

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Ill take it for free and solve your problem. ;) jk

Id probably sell it privately if i were you and put the money towards something you could rely on.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Distinguished Member
    Only guns I have had so far that had problems with were my taurus TCP's. Sold both through private sales, replaced and have stayed away from cheap, mixed review guns since.

I would sale privately and replace it with a reputable brand.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    Take it to your LGS and make a deal for ammo/accessories?

VIP Member
    Your best bet, money wise, will be a straight up private sale. A gun store might give you half of what it is worth.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Wait for the Govt. Buy Back program and sell it to them. It's a win win because the Govt. thinks their disarming you and you can sleep better knowing you sold the Govt. a junk gun. :) LOL!

1) Use it as a back up hammer. Seems I'm always searching for a hammer around the house
    2) Sell it privately. Don't expect to get the $500 retail. Be happy with $350 just to get it off your hands
    3) Give it to someone on the forum! We all love free stuff here.
    EDC: M&P 9*2
    PHIL.4:13

NRA

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Keep it as a token to give up if congress passes the gun ban.

Ok seriously, shoot to see if it is fixed and then sell it privately. You might even be able to use to help get someone else started into guns by giving them a deal.

Quote Originally Posted by MJB_17 View Post
    Well no poop* (*self edited), I like my 9c. Amazingly my PF9 is actually very reliable, I guess I can't win the lottery twice. The bigger issue is do/how I offload the Taurus or should I just keep it.
    Hilarious! I would just keep it.... always have it up for sale, and wait for the right deal to come along.
    Nations crumble from within when the citizenry asks of government those things which it might better provide for itself... Man is not free unless government is limited... As government expands, liberty contracts.
    -Ronald Reagan

During the panic is the time to sell to get a higher price for your investment.

Sell Sell Sell
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    During the panic is the time to sell to get a higher price for your investment.

Sell Sell Sell
    The thought has crossed my mind, but it just aggravates me to no end all the people gouging prices lately. I've refused to pay excessive prices and am boycotting dealers that charge them (CTD...), it would be rather hypocritical of me to sell something at an inflated price.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links