Snubbie help...

Snubbie help...

This is a discussion on Snubbie help... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking at getting a smaller lightweight carry gun for my EDC. I was originally looking at the current slew of tiny 9mms(I'm only 5'7" ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Snubbie help...

Snubbie help...

I'm looking at getting a smaller lightweight carry gun for my EDC. I was originally looking at the current slew of tiny 9mms(I'm only 5'7" & 140lbs), but got bit by the snubbee bug when my father in law brought home a Charter Arms On Duty. Being a 5 shot .38+p & only weighing 12oz, it is a dream to carry!

So.... I've liked the LCR for a while, & have now decided its either that or the On Duty. I'm on a budget, but there's not that big of a price difference(about $60) & I'm torn. Do I save the $60 & get the lighter On Duty & gain SA capability? Or go with the name I've grown up shooting that's a bit heavier, but also a bit smaller grip wise?

Charter On Duty #53810

Ruger® LCR® Double-Action Revolver Models

I'm not interested in S&W or Taurus at this point, as neither feel "right" to me like these two options.
    If I got the LCR, it'd be the .38 version to keep it as light as possible.
    Thanks in advance!

Josh

Review and Range report Charter Arms On Duty.

Here is a members review of the On Duty if you haven't searched for it. I carry a SW442, so am no help!
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

I cannot comment on Charter, but my off-duty EDC is a .38 LCR, and I am very, very pleased with it. So much so, that I might replace my back-up LCP with another LCR, and go old-school with dual revolvers.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Nor can I comment on the Charter but I love my LCR. It rides in my pocket everyday.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    Unless you just want a revolver, you may want to at least look at the Ruger LC380 (new just announced)..will ride your pocket just fine.

Ruger® LC380? Centerfire Pistol Models
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

I own the S&W 442 Jframe and two LCRs, and even an older Taurus. The Jframe is a piece of art and well made, the LCR is more muscular with a easier to pull trigger and hybrid frame. I would be looking hard at those two based on personal preference, then again I've shot some off brands I thought were perfectly fine. But you'll more consistently get a good one, and have much better warranty support and resale value if you stick with name brand. Personally? I would head to a range, even if an hour away, and rent the two for under 20 bucks and make my own decision. I would have a very hard time deciding which I would sell of the Ruger and Smith if I had to pay some bills. I also like the longer hard pull of the Jframe, at 5-10 feet I could give a damn about target shooting and the safety factor is great for a pocket or waist band gun. You will have to practice a lot to get good but once you master a revolver shooting pistols is a piece of cake. I bought the 22 and the 357 LCR and practice with the 22, I built so much muscle memory I can now hit just about anything dead on with the 357 or 38+P ammo without pushing, flinching or anything. If I want to knock someone down with one shot, I feel the LCR357 is going to be the tool for super close quarters. Dont buy the extended laser grips either, like the one for Jframe, it kills the conceal ability. But the compact laser on my LCR is pretty awesome even though I really dont need it anymore after developing my skills. The laser is mostly along for the ride if I have any visibility at all. Revolvers rule!

Before I spent 300 on a laser, I'd buy a pair of LCR22 and LCR357 and use all the same holsters and gear. You will become a fantastic snubbie shooter that way. Or I would buy the LCR357 then start saving pennies for the 22 model. The ammo savings alone pays for the 22 in about 2-3 months easy. You wont realize how profound this is, unless you do it. Remember 17.99 buys 500 remington golden bullets 22LR. You shoot about 6000-7000 of those and shooting snubbie will start feeling like an extension of your body. Shoot that much with service caliber ammo and you'll be in the poor house.

Between the two you mention I'd go with the LCR. IMO it's worth the relatively small price difference.
    FlaRon and sensei2 like this.

Charter Arms. I often carry a CA Bulldog 44 special in the winter months, and it is a dream to shoot, and is very light to carry. bunker
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Snubbie help...

I have an LCR that is an absolute dream to carry. I got bit by the semi/capacity bug and got an m&p compact. The gun is great, but the LCR is still my everyday companion while the m&p sits. I can't comment on the charter, but I'm convinced that a good snub you're comfortable with is still the ultimate go anywhere gun.

Of the two you mentioned I would go with the Ruger.

I have shot the LCR with +p ammo and it is a handful.

I like all steel S&W j-frame revolvers.

Image.jpg S&W Model 60 with Eagle Secret Service grips
    click image to enlarge....

photo.jpg S&W Model 649 with Pachmayr Compac grips.
    click image to enlarge....

The extra weight and the right set of grips allows for +p ammo if you so desire and better recoil control.

I do have one .357 snubbie that I shoot .357 ammo out of though. It too is all steel.

photo.jpg Ruger SP-101 with Pachmayr Compac grips.

Good luck on your choice.

Regards,

FlaRon
    II Timothy 1:7 God has not given us the spirit of fear, but of power, love and a sound mind.

"Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer". T. Larkin

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaShooter View Post
    ...Remember 17.99 buys 500 remington golden bullets 22LR....
    Is it safe to assume you haven't shopped for any .22 lately

Also, to Josh, I'd spend the extra $60 and get the Ruger because of NOT having SA capability. If you're in a self defense situation and you cock the hammer for single action, odds are you're gonna shoot someone, even if you didn't intend to.
    FlaRon likes this.
    Glock Certified Armorer

I have never shot an LCR, but have felt one and it felt like a good gun.

I do own a CA from 1967.

i have only shot 100 rounds through it and had to send it back for service cause the cylinder got jammed.

Now that I have it back, I shot 15 rounds through it and keep it as my "bathroom" gun

121112_0000.jpg

I carry my S & W 342PD on occasion. Super light, comfortable, and a great gun. However, the LCR has a nicer trigger IMO; much easier to stage. I'd definately go with the Ruger LCR.

I am a big fan of S&W J-frames. Particularly the 442/642's

VIP Member
    Can't speak for either gun, since my experience with Ruger wheel guns are the GP100 and the older Six Series guns, and Charter arms older guns that my Uncle has and has carried for probably 40 years. I would recommend though, that id you go with the LCR, that you get the .357. Difference in weight is only 2 oz, the advantage being if you do decide you want to run the more powerful .357 you can.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links