Tough Decisions on New Gun Purchase

This is a discussion on Tough Decisions on New Gun Purchase within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well I have been waiting forever for a m&p 9 Shield to show up around here and nothing so far. So ive been holding off ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Tough Decisions on New Gun Purchase

Well I have been waiting forever for a m&p 9 Shield to show up around here and nothing so far. So ive been holding off on getting a compact 9mm. Well today ive decided to get all of you guys to throw your oppinion out there. I currently own a xDm 40 OD/Black and love it. But where i work they will allow me to carry as long as nothing prints or shows so thats why my full size xdm 40 doesnt work.

Im looking to spend around the same price the m&p is which is 450$. What do you guys think is the best bang for the buck.

2. Remove Ads

Glock 19...Sig P250 ...
    gregnsc and BradL like this.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiphted View Post
    Well I have been waiting forever for a m&p 9 Shield to show up around here and nothing so far. So ive been holding off on getting a compact 9mm. Well today ive decided to get all of you guys to throw your oppinion out there. I currently own a xDm 40 OD/Black and love it. But where i work they will allow me to carry as long as nothing prints or shows so thats why my full size xdm 40 doesnt work.

Im looking to spend around the same price the m&p is which is 450$. What do you guys think is the best bang for the buck.
    Stick with the same platform. They are awesome guns. XD or XDM in compact or sub-compact. Or, grab an XDs in .45 and get a 9mm or .40 S&W conversion barrel for it, that's what I do with mine; works great! Same platform, can use the same caliber, etc. Good luck and let us know what you end up doing.
    bunker likes this.
    A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government. --George Washington

One vote for the Nano ....Love mine and small form....Smooth lines :)

"Nothing prints or shows."

How do you intend to carry then? Pocket? Smartcarry? IWB?

That will drive a lot.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Check out the M&P9c, its only minimally (2oz) heavier than the shield, has roughly double the capacity, and is almost as concealable. Personally, I've not an XD fan in general, they feel too chunky and I don't like grip safeties, but that's just me. If you really like the XD platform, consider the XDsc or the XDs in 9mm when it comes out. Also maybe look at the LC9 or PF9?

i like the SMith J frame revolvers... i also like my charter arms bulldog 44 special... as well as my S&W bodyguard 380. Nothing carries as easily as the bodyguard. good luck. All will fit into your budget and printing. bunker
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

First Sgt,im going to Florence tomorrow to look at a Sig p250 compact 40.You had any problems with yours?Never owned a sig,just shot one

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360192293.298813.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1360192322.120504.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1360192341.479583.jpg

M&P Shield 40 S&W compared to the Glock 19 for size purposes. The Glock is a Bluegun trainer and of exact size. But it gives you an idea of what to expect. It certainly is a bit longer in the muzzle. I like Glocks for home with a light on it but don't care to carry them and also not fond of XD's.

The Sig 250 is probably the biggest mistake the company ever made.
    Mjr_Fail likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    "Nothing prints or shows."

How do you intend to carry then? Pocket? Smartcarry? IWB?

That will drive a lot.
    how i carry is up in the air. i really have never tried to conceal this deep. i think the one thing im going to have to do is no longer wear tucked in shirts lol.

Quote Originally Posted by 91wm6 View Post
    I second that, the 250 is as much of a POS as the Sigma is to S&W.
    Mjr_Fail likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 91wm6 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MJB_17 View Post
    I second that, the 250 is as much of a POS as the Sigma is to S&W.
    third that
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." --Benjamin Franklin

"Ignorance can be treated with education, sadly there is no cure for stupidity."

Sig 938 would work; but well over the $450 budget!

OP - "Deep conceal." I know a bit about this - need to be discreet at my day job.

I've tried many different guns/holsters, and what works best for me is dual pocket carry. The "dual" part is key, as it resolves the biggest issues with pocket carry - ambidextrous access, and small/low capacity guns. A small/thin wallet (BigSkinny) goes in my rear pocket, keys go on a carabiner on the belt, and the cell phone also goes on the belt. Both front pockets can then be used for guns.

I've given up on pocket 9mm pistols. My current EDC is a LCR .38 revolver as primary, and a LCP .380 as a back-up. I may get another LCR and go dual revolvers, if I can find one at a reasonable price with the current madness.

Put those guns in proper pocket holsters, and they are very discreet. The Desantis Superfly has an anti-print panel that helps break up the outline. I also have some nice leather pocket holsters with the anti-print panel from Jim at www.hiddenholsters.net - he also added a thumb push-off that really helps with the draw.

Hope this helps - good luck!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links