Buying from Gunbrocker.com?

This is a discussion on Buying from Gunbrocker.com? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Haven't bought a gun from GB, but did buy some ammo and a couple of magazines. No problems. There was little ammo locally at the ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Buying from Gunbrocker.com?

Haven't bought a gun from GB, but did buy some ammo and a couple of magazines. No problems. There was little ammo locally at the time. Like others said, it comes down to how bad you want a particular gun. Most anything is on there and not (sometimes) locally available. My buddy has been looking at pistols lately, and has kind of been at the mercy of whatever happens to be in stock.
    "As the economy gets weak, the dollar loses value. Invest in precious metals." I'm investing in lead.

2. Remove Ads

I have purchased off of Gunbroker 24 times with no problems.

VIP Member
    I've used gunbroker once, no hassle involved. Just pay them, they ship to your FFL and you pay for the background check and transfer fee.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by gun1 View Post
    I have never bought any firearms from anywhere except stores in person, so I guess my question is: Is it worth buying from gunbroker? Is it a hassle? How reliable are they? Is there anything to watch out for?
    Works very well, IMO.

Gunbroker is merely a classified ads spot, which merely helps put you in contact with a seller (or buyers, if you're posting something for sale). Though, it does have the auction/bid software and search tools working in your favor. The system works well. Lots of folks use it, and many have done so for years, so there are lots of good sellers out there. Of course, as with any classified ads method, the reliability of the other part (the seller, in your case) is open to question, as you don't know the person or shop. For the service of having this spot for ads/auctions, GB charges a small fee for each transaction; factor that into your cost of purchasing an item via GB. You can read about the GB policies under the Help page.

Other than getting you in touch with the seller, basically you handle the exchange as you would if purchasing from any FFL shop over the phone. Arrange for payment to be sent, and then arrange for the item to be sent by FFL to your own FFL.

What I do: review the "feedback rating" level of the seller (which you can see as an A-F rating next to the seller's 'handle'). I consider how many sales the seller has done, what the rating is, and generally briefly scan a number of pages of the feedback comments left by buyers. It's one way of seeing the seller's track record. I always call the seller on the phone, and we chat about the item. If I'm satisfied, then I'll post a bid. If not, not. Have only been refused the item I'd won on one occasion. Have done a number of purchases/sales myself, previously. Will continue using GB.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    No hassle.Just need your ffl

VIP Member
    I like to inspect and handle any used guns. But I have purchased some ( used) from GB and Guns America and it worked out fine. Just have to check the shipping cost. You also need a good FFL on your end that doesn't over charge. ( Most of my purchases were projects and I was looking for a reciever).

If it is brand new and the price is right I would have no problems at all. Just make sure to figure all the costs, your FFL + shipping. It is kinda fun to win them in an auction.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

I haven't bought from Gunbroker.com yet but my buddy has and he's never had any issues. I've done several searches and I happened across a local dealer that has what I'm after (about an hour away, near my hometown) and that got me thinking it'd be nice to be able to search auctions within a certain mileage, like ebay has. Then it'd be easier to find what you want through local sellers.

Senior Moderator
    Used gun broker several times and never had a problem. As others have said do your homework and don't be afraid to ask questions
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

My experience was also very smooth buying via Gunbroker. Had a chance to talk on the phone with the seller and made a new friend.

Sent using Tapatalk HD

OP. Don't forget when comparing price that most people on GB charge a extra 2-4% for using a CC. Some don't charge that, but most do.
    The price of liberty is, always has been, and always will be blood: The person who is not willing to die for his liberty has already lost it to the first scoundrel who is willing to risk dying to violate that person's liberty! Are you free?
    --- Andrew Ford

Hello gun1, I have bought several guns on Gun Broker. It has been very easy process. I would do it again. I do prefer to buy local if possible. Hope this helps.
    I have never bought any firearms from anywhere except stores in person, so I guess my question is: Is it worth buying from gunbroker? Is it a hassle? How reliable are they? Is there anything to watch out for?
    I Love Guns!!!

Well, whether it's worth it will depend on you and how highly you value staying off the radar and keeping costs low.

Consider a gun purchased through an FFL transfer, sight-unseen from a remote seller: you typically pay for the item, the FFL/shipping fee on the seller's end, the FFL transfer fee on your end, you pay ahead but might get an item with issues, and you pay (at least through GB, you do) a transaction fee on the completed transaction's value. Additionally, being through an FFL, this transaction's on the government's radar.

But purchase that same gun through a face-to-face transaction with a seller: you can see/handle (perhaps even fire) the item, avoid "double" FFL transfer fees. You do run some risk by having a FTF with a seller you don't know, of course. But then, being a FTF transaction, it's off the government's radar.

Which is of greater value to you will depend on your values and the price of the item.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I had no problems. Payment was easy, seller shipped quickly, paid my FFL fee & background check at local shop, done.

just purchased this Colt NA Talo on GB and although it was advertised with a skeletonized trigger (does not have as you can see), I did decide to keep it. The seller did have great feedback from previous sales, but I did send them an email 2 weeks ago questioning the trigger and got no response.

It runs great and I recently changed out the grip and thumb safety.

DSC00267_zps5322364b.jpg
    b.

I just used GB for the first time this week. Payment is handled outside the website, so I sent off a Money Order and shipped to my FFL. Pretty straightforward and overall a pleasurable experience. Good prices still exist, they are just harder to find and normally take perfect timing, because they do not last long.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links