The Dark Side of Smith & Wesson

This is a discussion on The Dark Side of Smith & Wesson within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I own a Sigma 40VE, a near perfect clone of the Glock 23. It's less a perfect copy since Glock's law suit but at almost ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: The Dark Side of Smith & Wesson

GH
    I own a Sigma 40VE, a near perfect clone of the Glock 23. It's less a perfect copy since Glock's law suit but at almost half the price of a G23 it's a steady, reliable, accurate pistol. So much so that my neighbor will buy it from me for whatever I have in it, about $300. I've put that money toward an M&P40C with I'm patiently waiting for. Until it's proven otherwise I'll stick with S&W. I had owned Glocks which I gave to my son & those are fine firearms, too but I got a much better deal on the M&P. I'd love to have my old Glocks back, though.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Operations Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

2. Remove Ads

Copy or not. The M&P is far superior in my opinion to the Glock.

Now Glock is copying S&W with interchangeable back straps to get away from their BRICk of a grip...

I am sure S&W is not the first firearm manufacture to copy or replicate a competitors design. And why is it such a big deal to begin with??? This happens in EVERY single industry in the world. Cars, Phones, ATV's the service industry... it goes on and on. Nobody has a proprietary product design for long, I don't care what you are making. If your competition see's it as a threat they will do one of two things. Make a close copy or try to improve the design.

That's just the business world and for those that cant figure that out and hate S&W for it are naive.

I know that there are some on DC that may not agree with Chuck and some of his opinions but, but his opinions (which can be very strong about certain things) are based upon facts and his personal experiences. So, even though you may not agree with his opinion at least it's not based on here say and the almighty internet experts; or, as I heard one person put it "the gun rag writers who never met a $500 gun they didn't like".
    So Chuck is not the typical "Gun Rag Writer"

I personally have never been a big fan of S&W preferring instead, Colts and Rugers. I had been only vaguely aware of some of the things that Chuck talks about in this article prior to reading it but, then I started doing a little searching of my own here and there and, basically came up with the same results.
    From the same internet you bash in your first paragraph?

There were some things I couldn't find any info on but maybe I just wasn't looking in the right places.
    Did you ever think that it was because it was BS?

The main reason I'm posting this is that before I became aware of these things I would have been open to buying a Smith but, since then have changed my mind.
    Because of the evil internet again?

I despise this type of business model and these practices that are/were employed by S&W. I'm not completely sure if it's still going on to this day but I wouldn't doubt it given, that a company that practices these things isn't bound to change but, I'm open to other evidence that proves otherwise. However, I still have made the decision to not give them any of my money until I have proof that this is no longer going on and maybe not even then.
    Capitalism at its finest.

Irregardless of what you, Chuck or anyone else says Smith and Wesson makes the finest revolvers in the world today and they stand behind their products. Add to that in the age of globalization they are American made and owned.
    OD*, Secret Spuk, oneshot and 1 others like this.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    The M&P isn't any more a copy of the Glock than the Glock is a copy of the H&K VP70.

And I mean, sure, S&W copied the Taurus Judge, but that was after Taurus copied essentially every S&W revolver, so turnabout is only fair play.
    Taurahe, Secret Spuk and oneshot like this.
    Hakkaa päälle!

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Rollo is too busy breaking his guns to reply right now. He'll check back in when he gets one of his guns to fire twice. He's the only guy i know who can get a FTF in a single-shot.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    I did have a chuckle when S&W came out with the "Governor" revolver. I mean, of all the guns out there to copy - they had to copy the Taurus Judge?

PS - Paging Rollo! Rollo - please report to this thread!

You got blinders on? Oh no Ruger has never copied anyone ever LOL.....That SR22 sure looks and feels a hell of a lot like a Walther P22 don't it?
    Crowbait likes this.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    You got blinders on? Oh no Ruger has never copied anyone ever LOL.....That SR22 sure looks and feels a hell of a lot like a Walther P22 don't it?

Not to mention the LCP and LC9.....

VIP Member
    I have 5 S&W products.
    A 442, an M&P.357c, a 6904 a sw9ve and a 39-2 that will out shoot most pistols.
    Sold a 6906 and an M&P 9c..
    None have been a problem
    I think Ole' Chuckie boy is on somebodys payroll, and it ain't S&W.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by 40Bob View Post
    Not to mention the LCP and LC9.....
    Then Kel Tec sued and lost...they screwed up the patent applications of all things *facepalm*

S&W makes a lot of very good products. They hit a home run with the M&P pistols by borrowing from other designs, and blowing away what everyone else was doing with backstraps. Changes as simple as using the takedown tool to retain, and allowing for customization of the palm swells were real difference makers. S&W listens to the market, and they deliver what is demanded.

Like colt of all companies is even remotely better? I wouldn't have a new made Smith but older Smiths are the top of the revolver food chain, period.

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    With just a little research one can find that most gun companies have a dark side as does many large businesses.
    Nebraska12 likes this.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by MJB_17 View Post
    Then Kel Tec sued and lost...they screwed up the patent applications of all things *facepalm*
    Are you saying they did not copy those guns or their lawyers were better?

The only reason companies "copy" other designs is simple business. Ever heard of "Brand Preference"? The Judge, polymer pistols, sub-compacts, snub nosed revolvers and finally the 1911...etc, etc. All companies make them because there is an existing and profitable market to take a slice of. Many have a brand preference and would prefer to buy from them...if given the option. Good business practice is to provide that option with what they believe their existing customers want.

"Copy of a Glock" - not a single phrase irritates me more. Why? Because it's polymer? Made of the same material? Its a ridiculous argument. By that logic, there is absolutely nothing original any more...ya may as well let it go. And I like Glocks! But it's not the beginning, nor the end, of original firearm design.
    'Fortes Fortuna Juvat'
    NRA Member
    NRA Life of Duty Member

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    And Glock wasn't even the first polymer, only the first "sucessful" one.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links