How do you pick a gun when there are none available to test out?? - Page 3

How do you pick a gun when there are none available to test out??

This is a discussion on How do you pick a gun when there are none available to test out?? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by DaveInEdmonds This is where actually shooting them will make a huge difference. Yup. Bindiboop, the only way you're going to know for ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: How do you pick a gun when there are none available to test out??

Quote Originally Posted by DaveInEdmonds View Post
    This is where actually shooting them will make a huge difference.
    Yup.

Bindiboop, the only way you're going to know for certain whether a given gun is going to give you fits on the range is to shoot it, then compare it to others. No real way around that.

In my experience, everyone's "feel" with different guns can be quite different. What feels wonderful to one person might seem to kick like a mule to another person. Generally speaking, weight plays a huge role in the recoil handling ability of the smaller revolvers. Compare some of the S&W AirWeight variants, in either scandium or forged aluminum. That ~13-17oz weight will tend to slap your hand much harder than a similarly-sized revolver that's 8-10oz heavier.

For example, compare shooting the S&W 640 (23oz), S&W 442 AirWeight (15oz), S&W 340PD (11oz, in scandium/titanium), but then compare to, say, the S&W Model 60 3" or the Ruger SP-101 3" (27oz). They all behave very differently with the same .38spl round. Of course, some of these models are designed to take the abuse of .357. Many of the "classic" series of revolvers by S&W or Colt (and others) also feel different than the contemporary models by various makers. But the barrel axis and length affects recoil as well, the balance altering how it behaves when firing. Beyond mere weight, the grip's feel and grip material can change how rough the recoil feels. The Taurus and Ruger grip approach is different than what S&W tends to do, though even S&W varies the grip from model to model. Each of these guns can feel quite differently in the hand, particularly in .357 and any decent number of rounds shot at a time.

If you find one, definitely handle it (and shoot it, if you can): a Colt Detective Special.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Our dealers here have tons of weapons in their rental cases for $5-10 a whirl. Costs about 35$ to rent a gun, buy a box of ammo, and range time. If they actually have ammo. Almost every gun owner I know welcomes friends to shoot and try theirs, lots of carry forums and nicer sites have people listing private sale of guns without raking you over the coals. You just have to try a little harder but can still find and acquire a good weapon. Many dealers are hiding their stock so they have something to display at the gun shows. I know this from personal interaction. Luckily I'm all set, I just need to conserve some types of ammo. I reload my own 9mm and 45 and have about a 2 year supply of components.

Youngest daughter just bought a Ruger LCR and she loves it. Light weight and easy to conceal. They're getting scarce though.
    U.S. Army 1973 -1976, Southeastern Signal School Ft. Gordon GA 1973 -1974, Berlin Brigade 1975 -1976.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex_C View Post
    Glocks strip down in about 10 seconds. Same with M&P, XD, etc.

Quick and easy.
    I honestly think I revolver is quite a bit harder to clean. You need to clean each cylinder and the face of them gets pretty dirty.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

It pays to have friends with guns. As the thousands of posts on this website will confirm, us gun guys are usually more than happy to "prove" why our weapons (Sig) of choice are the best.
    DaveInEdmonds likes this.

As the saying goes, "with revolvers you're cleaning 6 or 7 barrels as opposed to 1 on a semi". NCSoxFan is right, it's good to have friends or relatives with guns.
    U.S. Army 1973 -1976, Southeastern Signal School Ft. Gordon GA 1973 -1974, Berlin Brigade 1975 -1976.

Quote Originally Posted by NCSoxFan View Post
    It pays to have friends with guns. As the thousands of posts on this website will confirm, us gun guys are usually more than happy to "prove" why our weapons (Sig) of choice are the best.

Except for those who practice C.A.N.T. as a religon. Some of them won't even admit to owning a firearm, much less carrying one. LOL

Research!!! Lots of INTERNET research, months of research. Most of my firearms where bought blind over the INTERNET. I was never burned, all where what i expected.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links