How do you pick a gun when there are none available to test out??

This is a discussion on How do you pick a gun when there are none available to test out?? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi, I have been wanting my own handgun for quite a while. For Christmas my husband signed me up for a basic training class (2 ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: How do you pick a gun when there are none available to test out??

Hi, I have been wanting my own handgun for quite a while. For Christmas my husband signed me up for a basic training class (2 hours learning, 1 hr shooting). I took his .357 Rossi 4" revolver. I shot about 40 rounds of .38 and 20 rounds of .357. I could tell the difference, but neither was at all uncomfortable for me. I was pretty spot on with the target, hitting the same general area (about a 3" diameter just a bit right of center).

When I went, I was pretty confident I wanted a revolver, but was open to a semi, but after watching the other 3 folks in my class try to figure out how to take their's apart, clean it, put it together, load it, etc., and after enjoying the revolver so much, I decided my first gun will be a revolver. I have been researching different revolvers for hours, but get so much conflicting opinions. I know the best thing to do is to try out different guns and see what I like. That would be the best thing to do, in a world where gun shops actually had guns available (like this time LAST year, for instance). I can't even find a gun to hold much less one to try shooting.

So, what should I do? Should I just wait this out and hope that guns start appearing in shops (hopefully at a more reasonable price) and cross my fingers that gun laws (remember, I am in CALIFORNIA) don't get any more strict? My goal is to get CCW. From what I have learned, in the county I live it is pretty easy to get a CCP.

The other option is a gun show. We are having one in a couple weeks and I plan on going. I have never been to one before and I have no idea what to expect. I assume I will be able to hold different guns, but my husband is very weary of buying a used gun. It is all so overwhelming and confusing. All I do know is I want a revolver I can pass the CC test with, either a .38 or a .357, I prefer a double action and I don't want to pay a fortune for it (i.e. no S&W).

It's tough when one does not have the option of shooting before buying a particular weapon. As for buying a used weapon it depends on various issues such as do you know the person selling it, how adapt one is for seeing excessive wear on the weapon, etc. Waiting until after the "gun ban" crapola isn't a bad idea. Hopefully things will get back to some sort of normalcy and price become relatively decent.

Anyway welcome to the forum and good luck weapon hunting.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Perhaps by reaching out in this forum you may find some members who are willing to familiarize you with a few different guns. If you were in the Phoenix area, I'd be more than happy to let you play with a bunch of revolvers and pistols from snubbies up to full-sized service guns, and to help you focus on what works for you.

What say you all - anyone in northern CA willing and able to help out?
    gun_bushido likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

They won't try to ban revolvers,The Ruger sp101 is a great revolver comes in 38spl or 357 magnum and retails around the $400 price range
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Perhaps by reaching out in this forum you may find some members who are willing to familiarize you with a few different guns. If you were in the Phoenix area, I'd be more than happy to let you play with a bunch of revolvers and pistols from snubbies up to full-sized service guns, and to help you focus on what works for you.

What say you all - anyone in northern CA willing and able to help out?
    Thanks gasmitty if it helps, I am in the Chico area.

I would definitely wait for the gun show. You will see a wide variety of new and used guns. If you or your husband are not too sure how to properly inspect a used gun, I'd shy away from them. I've bought a number of used guns and they were great, in fact I'd almost say better than a new gun since they were already "broken in." If you're looking for a revolver, I've had a great experience with the Ruger SP101 - it's double action, 5 shot and can shoot .38 or .357, which is nice having a choice in ammunition to shoot from the same gun.
    ἐν τούτῳ νίκα - In hoc signo vinces

Confidence- thrives on honesty, on honor, on the sacredness of obligations, on faithful protection and on unselfish performance. Without them it cannot live.-FDR

I have heard a lot of good things about Ruger SP101. They are running upwards of $600-$700 now, though.

Yeah, I have never seen them in the $400 range.. My fiance and I just spent $675 for one. Truth be told though, I would rather spend the extra money on a gun that I feel confident would save my life than to save a buck IMO. However, I'm sure there are great guns out there for less! Just keep your eyes open!
    ἐν τούτῳ νίκα - In hoc signo vinces

Confidence- thrives on honesty, on honor, on the sacredness of obligations, on faithful protection and on unselfish performance. Without them it cannot live.-FDR

Quote Originally Posted by Bindiboop View Post
    Hi, I have been wanting my own handgun for quite a while. For Christmas my husband signed me up for a basic training class (2 hours learning, 1 hr shooting). I took his .357 Rossi 4" revolver. I shot about 40 rounds of .38 and 20 rounds of .357. I could tell the difference, but neither was at all uncomfortable for me. I was pretty spot on with the target, hitting the same general area (about a 3" diameter just a bit right of center).

When I went, I was pretty confident I wanted a revolver, but was open to a semi, but after watching the other 3 folks in my class try to figure out how to take their's apart, clean it, put it together, load it, etc., and after enjoying the revolver so much, I decided my first gun will be a revolver. I have been researching different revolvers for hours, but get so much conflicting opinions. I know the best thing to do is to try out different guns and see what I like. That would be the best thing to do, in a world where gun shops actually had guns available (like this time LAST year, for instance). I can't even find a gun to hold much less one to try shooting.

So, what should I do? Should I just wait this out and hope that guns start appearing in shops (hopefully at a more reasonable price) and cross my fingers that gun laws (remember, I am in CALIFORNIA) don't get any more strict? My goal is to get CCW. From what I have learned, in the county I live it is pretty easy to get a CCP.

The other option is a gun show. We are having one in a couple weeks and I plan on going. I have never been to one before and I have no idea what to expect. I assume I will be able to hold different guns, but my husband is very weary of buying a used gun. It is all so overwhelming and confusing. All I do know is I want a revolver I can pass the CC test with, either a .38 or a .357, I prefer a double action and I don't want to pay a fortune for it (i.e. no S&W).
    First off welcome to DC! We're glad to have you!

Like Crowman said it's difficult to decide when you can't even find any to fondle let alone shoot. As for the gun show, with all that is going on with regard to 2A I would expect it to be a madhouse with exorbitant prices. That's just a guess but, I don't think it's far off. Although, it would probably be a good place to get your hands on a lot of different guns all in one stop so, that is a definite plus. I would recommend not buying one at the gun show unless you have done your research and just come across a screaming deal. OTOH, I would just be begging and borrowing any and all guns revolvers and semis (it won't hurt to put some rounds through them just to have something to compare) from friends and family. Next, try and find a local range or three that rents guns, it could save you from buying an expensive paperweight or taking a loss on your gun.

Your best bet is to shoot as many as you can of all types and calibers, do TONS of research, and buy a gun that YOU like, fits you, is reliable, concealable, and from a reputable manufacturer. Remember YOU are going to be carrying it not your Hubby, so, if you think it's too heavy, too much felt recoil, etc, don't get it. This gun is for YOU.

To address the buying of a used gun; I wouldn't worry too much about it especially if you end up with a revolver. Just make sure and look it over very carefully, research any common problems with that particular model so you know what to look for, etc.

I would check out the Ruger SP101 (kinda heavy), Ruger LCR, S&W Bodyguard Revolver, Sig Sauer P238 and P938. And, just peruse this forum and check out previous threads, there is a lot of info on here.

Good luck, happy hunting, and safe shooting!!

-Russell
    A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government. --George Washington

Does your local range not have rental guns? If not, I think it would be well worth it to take a weekend to visit Sac or Redding if they have some in either place. Our local range was invaluable in helping my wife pick out her guns.

Edit: Here's one in Sacramento that appears to have rentals.

http://thegunrange.biz/

Quote Originally Posted by Bindiboop View Post
    I have heard a lot of good things about Ruger SP101. They are running upwards of $600-$700 now, though.
    love the sp101 but it's pretty heavy compared to other similar size guns. makes it easy to shoot though.

I like the no lock smith and wesson 442 or 642 for a lower priced snub. $400-500 last I checked. the LCR is great as well but I'm not a fan of the lock. lots of LCR's available at my LGS out east. not sure about CA.

Though they are pricey the sp101 is concealable, and built like a tank. I have owned two in the past and loved both. Unless one has been subjected to heavily overloaded rounds as regular diet they likely will last until you are to old to lift one. And you have in effect a 38 38+p or .357 handgun. The LCR is a great gun also though for a lady the 357 might be the edge of what you would comfortable with. But if I went that route I would get in 357 since you can shoot any of the three calibers in that as well.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

VIP Member
    If you don't have a range in the area where you can rent and shoot different revolvers, then the gun show will probably be your best option. Once you find what you want, research on line retailers like Bud's ( Discount Guns for Sale - Buds Gun Shop ). They ship most guns free and you will just need to pay for the transfer. Since your comfortable shooting .357, I'd recommend going that way. If you want to shoot .38 out of it you can. Where as if you get a .38 that is all you will be able to shoot through it.
    oneshot likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    As DaveinEdmonds stated, do some cpu work to find some local(indoor) ranges that have rentals within reasonable driving distance. One of my lGS has a bunch to choose from and would be invaluable if you found one like that

I would by a used ruger sp101 (a little heavy) or used smith (no lock) at the gun show. Don't be afraid of used guns, just select carefully. Warranty (if every needed) should still be no problem with those two brands. There are new guns that are cheaper but, if you find a used one that has only had a limited number of rounds through it, you'll have a much higher quality gun in the end.

As far as the show, if it's anything there like it is here, get there early. I've only been to one and that was a couple of years ago. It was very crowded.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links