Concealed Carry Weapon Choice

This is a discussion on Concealed Carry Weapon Choice within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm getting tired of spending money in search of the perfect concealed carry weapon. I think the only pistol I haven't tried to carry IWB ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Concealed Carry Weapon Choice

I'm getting tired of spending money in search of the perfect concealed carry weapon. I think the only pistol I haven't tried to carry IWB is the Kahr PM9/T9 etc....
    I have tried the Glock 26 and found it to be a little too wide. The J-frames are comfortable, but I'm concerned about the 5 round limit of .38 special. Honestly, I don't think I could shoot .357 well from this platform.
    The 1911 frame is too large for summer carry, and things stay warm here at least 6 or 7 seven months of the year.
    Today, I carry a 642 in the pocket, and sometimes a 649 in a Galco IWB. A fear of being under gunned with this mix comes from an encounter in "the good part of town" with 4 gang bangers. Five rounds and 4 bad guys certainly increased the stress level in an already stressful situation.
    Does anyone have any experience with the Kahr product? I need a platform that is reliable as the J frame while delivering at least 9mm power in a slim and concealable package. Nirvana?
    Thanks for your feedback in advance.

whw

Try a single stack sig 239 if memory serves or a compact 1911. As far as 4 on 1, 5 or 50 rounds odds are not in your favor.

Senior Moderator
    I carry a Taurus 605 357mag. I have a recovery problem with the recoil of hot 357 rounds from the 2 inch barrel. It is hard for me to shoot fast and accurately with most defensive 357 rounds (don't have this problem from 4" revolvers). I now carry Speer Glod Dot 135 gr 38 spl +P for short barrel revolvers. I can shoot this round accurately and fast, no recovery issues. This is my primary carry gun, with 2 speed strips. 4 to 1 odds is not something I would feel comfortable with no matter how I'm armed (Well if I had a M-4 and they had spit wads at 100 meters.. ). Your best defense is what's between your ears, my pistol is just for me to get out of the "bad" situation. I feel confident with the 605 and have never worried about not having enough firepower.
    Last edited by pgrass101; October 27th, 2006 at 02:32 PM.

Yeah, with those odds you'd better have the quickest trigger finger around. It's a sad truth, but things don't work like in the movies.
    Beretta 92FS

I've owned/carried the Kahr T9. It's thin enough to carry easily, large enough to comfortably hold, heavy enough to shoot well, easily handles 124 gr. +P+ 9mm so it's plenty powerful, low bore axis for fast follow-up shots, 8+1 capacity, groups 5 shots in 2.5" @ 25 yards all day, satinless steel, available with night sights, smooth (revolver-like) trigger, stone reliable & fine looking. Best model in the Kahr line in my opinion & I've had...uhh, 5 of them. I'm not so fond of the PM series, they're easier to carry & hide but harder to handle & shoot. You might look at the K9 as it's a bit shorter (.5") barrel & more compact grip (-1 round of capacity) than the T9 but still offers a steel frame & a full grip in a thin package.
    T9 was my preferred CCW until I got hooked on a mildly-tuned, grip reduced GLOCK G19. Looked for my ideal CCW (for +25 years) just like you. Personally? I've found it.

Perfect Carry Gun

There is no universal "perfect carry gun". What may be a perfect gun for me may not suit you at all. As far as I am concerned, a carry gun must be thin enough to carry IWB all day; fit my hand comfortably; function reliably and accurately; and have enough stopping power to do the job. My first semi-auto, a S&W 39-2 9mm, fit these requirements perfectly and was my main carry gun for 25 years. In .40 caliber my compact S&W 4013 has more bulk and is generally carried in cold weather under a coat or jacket. My Glock 32 and 36 are thin and light enough to be carried IWB under a loose Tee shirt and those are my preferred carry guns in warm weather.

Administrator
    Colt 1911 XSE Lightweight Commander in .45 or .38 Super might fit your bill. Especially with slim grips.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

+1 on the S&W 4013 & G36 Nemo. Top Flight Choices. Insightful on the "perfect choice" as well.

Thin semiauto for IWB carry

Quote Originally Posted by whw View Post
    I need a platform that is reliable as the J frame while delivering at least 9mm power in a slim and concealable package. Nirvana?
    It sounds like you want a thin semiauto with single stack magazine for IWB carry, in a reasonably powerful caliber. You're already looking at the polymer Kahrs, I presume, which are some of the thinnest semiautos out there in 9mm, .40 or .45.

The thinnest Glock is the G36 at maybe 1 inch thick through the slide with a single stack grip - you should try one of those if you haven't already. And the smallest Sig in 9mm, .40 or .357 Sig is the P239, which also has a single stack magazine and slide width of maybe 1.1 inches flat to flat.

My personal choice for this type of gun is a 3 inch barrel 1911 in .45 caliber, either a Kimber Ultra or a Colt Defender. These are about 0.9 inch thick in the slide, and 1.0 inches thick in the grip, with thin grip panels. They give you 7+1 round capacity, which is a lot better than a 5 shot revolver, and the reload is much faster. They carry easily IWB in a holster with offset belt loop, like this Mitch Rosen:
    Attached Images

CDH
    I hate to disagree, but I find that I can carry my XSE LW Commander MOST of the time in hotter weather here in South Texas.

If you really feel that you can't, however, the new Springfield EMP 9mm is a ******* pistol. It's not much bigger than a Walther PPK, and it carries 10+1 of 9mm (preferably Gold Dot).

That packs a lot of firepower in an easily concealed pistol. Put your hands on one if you can.

I live in central Florida and find with the right gear I can carry a light weight 1911 Commander most of the time, even in summer. When I can't I have either a 1911 Micro or a S&W J frame. Maybe looking at carry methods might be a possibility?

As for a group of gang bangers, I think tactics in a bad situation will be more important than capacity and caliber.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Maybe it's time to think outside the box. There are a LOT of other good, compact carry guns available that aren't one of the "Big 5" (the 1911 design builders like Kimber, SA, Wilson, etc. + SIG, Glock, S&W and Taurus) that most people look at when they are searching for a carry gun.

There are the mini/micro guns from companies like Kel-Tec or SKYY. Bersa makes a rock reliable 380 and an outstanding compact model in 9mm-45 ACP that few people have heard of. CZ has their compact 75 series as well as the even smaller RAMI. Walther and HK make some excellent compact guns, though they tend to be high end and expensive. Beretta was know for it's quality compact guns long before they landed the US government contract for a full size pistol with the M9.

Anyway, there are dozens of good, reliable compact guns available if you want to check around and try them out. Don't get stuck in the rut of restricting yourself to a half dozen makes or models because "everyone else" has one. Also, a gun doesn't have to cost $1,000 or more to be reliable and well made. The Kel-Tec's and Bersa's are perfect examples of guns that are inexpensive, but not "cheap".
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

Welcome whw!

I think your problem is not the gun, but the method of carry. There is no magic piece that will serve to make you comfortable with IWB. Plus, it's a lot cheaper to solve this with a search for holsters or other methods of carry than it is at the gun counter!

Consider a different holster...for example, I tried carrying my Glock 26 IWB with two different holsters and felt terrible. I then bought a Milt Sparks Watch Six and absolutely love it.

Another trick to IWB is finding that "sweet spot" where the holster works well for you. For me, that's at about 4:30, farther back that I'd have ever guessed.

Perhaps throw in the towel on IWB and go OWB. P95Carry here has some great thoughts on why that works so well for him, even a holster that he recommends.

Even consider other methods of carry...belly band, SmartCarry, etc.

I encourage you to start a thread over in the "Concealed Carry Holsters and Carry Options" area of this forum and see what you come up with for ideas. Do start if off with some info about your body size and type, as well as how you'd prefer to dress, for all this data is important in generating ideas that could help you.

Personally, I encourage you to not resort to a mouse gun...stay with a caliber/capacity that you feel is adequate, then make the method of carry work around that...good luck!
    Last edited by JimmyC4; October 27th, 2006 at 08:47 PM.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

I use 2 snubbys (.38/.357), a "pocket" .45 para, and a colt mustang. If you look for one of those, they can be rather pricy, but all steel in a single stack .380. Looks like a miniature 1911.

try a good holster and belt i carry 4 1/4 1911 and have carried a 5" Iwb most of the time beyond that ya just have to try

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links