XDs Magazine Capacity

This is a discussion on XDs Magazine Capacity within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Why is it not about BUGS? That's why guns hold fewer rounds, they are smaller. I think the most challenging thing is having the mindset ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: XDs Magazine Capacity

Why is it not about BUGS? That's why guns hold fewer rounds, they are smaller. I think the most challenging thing is having the mindset to shoot very few, very accurate hits and in a life threatening situation history shows round counting is not realistic. So training with a gun you carry, such as a 5 shot snubbie or compact 45 is critical. If you train with a 19+1 round 9mm XDm 2-3 times a month then carry a 5 shot snubbie that you rarely practice with you might be standing somewhere with your butt blowing in the wind. It takes a specific mindset to shoot for accurate hits, and make them count. Just the tiny bit of stress in a drill with a buzzer reveals the issues... much less a life threatening panic situation. Of course having something at all on you is the most important thing. I must admit you can get used to even emptying a 15+1 shot 9mm in drills, it takes no effort to empty one of those, you can fire 5 rounds each on 3 targets in just 4-5 seconds. I also think about how many bullets I want flying around other people. For this reason my wife and I practice more difficult moving shots, head shots, and through tight no-shoot targets. Just preparing for the worst. She knows if carrying five 357 rounds and standing face to face with 1 of 3 bad guys she better press the first shot in the forehead of the first one. The shock of the blast alone is like a bang grenade but just flushing the gun empty without hitting anything is not an option.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar
    I do think about going from 14 to 9 rounds... XDm 9mm compact to Shield but then I think I'm a pretty simple guy. If it happens and I freeze on a Shield day the bad guy killed me and only stole 9 rounds from me. If I don't freeze and wet myself... I duck, turn, draw and fire on target... 2 or 3 rounds is on average enough leaving me with 6 or 7 extra.

I really can not, in MY mind, work out a situation where a back up mag is needed, much less 2 or a bug? Just me, don't flame me!

Quote Originally Posted by gator15 View Post
    exact same here. Used to ankle carry the g26, got the XDs and man is it a big difference in concealability and comfortability. The g26 is just a bit too thick for my liking. I just bring along the 7 rounder in case when I feel the need
    x2 except I use to carry a G27. Now Xds 5 +1 with two 7rd mags backup.

My favorite and most frequently carried pistols have a magazine capacity of 10 rounds or less.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    I'll be carrying the XDs 45 this summer. 5+1 is no surprise. I knew that when I bought it. It's small enough to carry because it is single stack with a short grip. There is no free lunch.

The backup magazine will be a 7 rounder. For nearly 80 years the gold standard fighting handgun, the full size 1911, only held 7+1. Then 8 round magazines came out for it.

My SIG C3 is 7+1 and I was packing it all day today - didn't feel undergunned for a single second. I had the other 7 round magazine in my pocket.

The deal with low capacity more concealable pistols is, quite simply, to make the shots count. That means practicing differently than I do when I practice with the Glock 17, 19, and 26. The XDs, the C3, and the G30 I don't practice double taps. I take single shots as soon as I'm on target. Then get back on target before taking the second shot. With the G26 and the G19 I routinely shoot double taps. The 26 can shoot 5 double taps + 1 round. That's like 5 rounds out of the XDs plus 1. In either case it's six 'shots'. The Glock 19 gives me 8 double tap shots - that is, in my mind, the same as 7+1 out of the C3. But the trigger discipline is different.

The difference in trigger discipline concerns me more than the round count.

For me, the Glock nines are really double tap guns. With the G26, if I pull the trigger as fast as I can, 1/4 second splits, the two shots will be within a couple of inches of each other. If the front sight is on the target they will both hit. That's not skill, that's just the inherent behavior of the dynamic system of that pistol in my hands with my grip. None of my 45s double tap like that. So, for practical purposes, it's a 5-1/2 'shot' gun for me. So is the XDs but they are single shots, not double taps.

My low capacity guns are 45s. My high capacity guns are nines.

That's how I see it.

Fitch
    12 gauge likes this.
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by 12 gauge View Post
    If you are going to carry BUG to increase capacity, or "decrease concern", why not just carry more backup magazines?
    If you have a low-cap primary, and get into a situation where you think you might run dry, you can draw your BUG while firing your primary one-handed. And generally speaking, drawing a BUG is faster than changing magazines.

And of course, there are the other advantages of having a BUG that cannot be duplicated by instead carrying more spare mags for your primary - such as ambidextrous access, "NY reload," faster way to deal with a malfunctioning primary, ability to arm someone else, etc.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    And of course, there are the other advantages of having a BUG that cannot be duplicated by instead carrying more spare mags for your primary - such as ambidextrous access, "NY reload," faster way to deal with a malfunctioning primary, ability to arm someone else, etc.
    I just learned what this means the other day...alternatively you could be like Vincent in Collateral and carry a switchblade to stab into their thigh!

XDs Magazine Capacity

Quote Originally Posted by Switchblade906 View Post
    I went from my Glock 26 to my XD-S but I carry 6 in the gun and another 7 rounder as well.
    I carry the same way. Sometimes, if going to a particularly vulnerable place (mall, movie theater, etc) I carry two spare 7 rounders with 6 on tap.

IMO there are very few things that 20 .45 Gold Dots can't get you out of. If I go through the 6 in the gun, I will be reloading while actively looking for a way out of the fight. If I happen to be unfortunate enough that I need those next 7 rounds, I will again be reloading in a last ditch effort to survive.
    Owner, Maple Leaf Firearms LLC (07 FFL/02SOT)

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    The XDS in 9mm will be 7+1 and 9+1 if it helps ease your concerns..

It's a hell of a lot better to carry a gun with a lower capacity that is more comfortable to carry than to not carry at all.

Quote Originally Posted by SCXDm9 View Post
    I really can not, in MY mind, work out a situation where a back up mag is needed, much less 2 or a bug? Just me, don't flame me!
    Odds are with you, odds are you'll never even need your gun in your lifetime, odds are you'll never need a seatbelt or airbag. I just think in high crime and gang areas the norm for crime is young males, they tend to attack only when they know 100% odds of victory and the easiest way is to come in a group. I never felt I even needed to carry a gun outside my home until I moved into an area where crime by two or more thugs is in the news every week. The woman in Loganville Ga that shot the robber coming in her home and breaking down 3 doors with a crowbar to get to them in the crawl space. She shot him 5 times in the neck and face, teeth found on the scene and he not only survived but drove away and crashed nearby. People somehow think 2-3 bullets stops a bad guy, I think that's flawed thinking. I run drills all the time against 2-3 simulated bad guys and it's a lot easier to empty a 15 round mag than most people realize, and in real life you are NOT counting. You hopefully are firing until the attack stops, I would kindly just ask some people who have been in these situations. I'm sure that mother wishes she had a glock 19 that day. The latest crime in Atlanta is 3 young thugs jumping into McDonalds drive throughs with 9mm pistols. If that happened with me standing there, I would sure be wanting more than my Jframe, even though I would sure be happy to have it. And I would likely adjust my plan accordingly. I tend to flip flop on this position but most important, you are carrying and hopefully have fired more than 3-4 boxes of ammo through whatever you carry. Ditto on Sioux565 too.

FWIW: I've been carrying for ~40 years (YIKES), and with the exception of a S&W 9mm (12+1) in the late 80s, everything I've carried has been 5-8 round capacity. I've never felt under-gunned.
    That being said, I have carried a pocket BUG for the last year or so, and I just recently added a G19, which hasn't made it into the rotation just yet. Too cold to go break it in.
    Like someone implied earlier, a 32 in the pocket beats a 45 at home.
    "The time is now near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be freemen or slaves."
    ------------------------------------— George Washington 1776
    Gun free zones
    are safe havens-
    FOR CRIMINALS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links