Racking the slide - Page 2

Racking the slide

This is a discussion on Racking the slide within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I believe it has to do with years of women hearing from men not to rack certain things and then when told it's OK they're ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Racking the slide

I believe it has to do with years of women hearing from men not to rack certain things and then when told it's OK they're a bit hesitant and don't want to hurt anything.
    Crowbait and MamaMaria like this.
    Raleigh... Where Barney comes to Party...

Glock 27 or M&P Shield for every day carry (LCP for deep conceal when necessary)... Glock 23 for the home.

Call me Iggy. Only my mother calls me by my full given name.

VIP Member
    My wife carries nothing but semi-autos....she doesn't like revolvers (in her words..."not enough rounds & longer to reload") & she's not big...only 5'5" & 120lbs. Even my daughter who joined the Army doesn't have any slide racking issues.

Once technique is learned, nearly anybody should be able to do it....
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

It really is technique, not strength...my wife went from couldn't rack the slide to no problem, when shown HOW.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Well...
    I'm 6'2", 200 lbs., and I can't put a motorcycle on a center stand unless it's maybe 150 or smaller. I've seen, time and again, guys and women much smaller than me do it with seemingly no trouble whatsoever. I'm told that it's all timing and little muscle, but I just can't figure it out. I owned an old Honda Shadow 650 for years and I don't know how many times I tried. Never got it up on its center stand once.

Quote Originally Posted by Thatguyjeff View Post
    Well...
    I'm 6'2", 200 lbs., and I can't put a motorcycle on a center stand unless it's maybe 150 or smaller. I've seen, time and again, guys and women much smaller than me do it with seemingly no trouble whatsoever. I'm told that it's all timing and little muscle, but I just can't figure it out. I owned an old Honda Shadow 650 for years and I don't know how many times I tried. Never got it up on its center stand once.
    With all due respect, I'll suggest it's neither timing or muscle. It's how your center stand is adjusted. I ride an almost thousand pound Harley, and once I got my center stand adjusted properly, I can rock it up on the stand with no problem. Fiddle with it, and see if I'm not right.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

What she needs is encouragement.
    So.

Wait until she does it right, then immediately tell her "Thats a great rack" .....
    iguanadon likes this.

Some guns are much more difficult to rack than others because of design. For example, a glock is fairly easy to rack, whereas a Kahr cm9 is hard as nails to rack. Why? The kahr Cm9 is very heavily sprung hence it is harder to rack when you compress the springs. Good technique is critical, but some guns are simply more difficult to rack than others. No gun is impossible to rack with a good technique though.

Quote Originally Posted by KBSR View Post
    With all due respect, I'll suggest it's neither timing or muscle. It's how your center stand is adjusted. I ride an almost thousand pound Harley, and once I got my center stand adjusted properly, I can rock it up on the stand with no problem. Fiddle with it, and see if I'm not right.
    Appreciate the tip. But we'll never know if you're correct or not because I sold that bike a year ago. Anywho, my point was, and I think you helped with your comment, that there are all sorts of variables involved with stuff like this.
    Taurahe likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links