Glock 23 concealed carry - Page 2

Glock 23 concealed carry

This is a discussion on Glock 23 concealed carry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have no problems concealing my Glock 19 (same size as your 23) in my crossbreed supertuck. With a good belt, you should be good ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Glock 23 concealed carry

I have no problems concealing my Glock 19 (same size as your 23) in my crossbreed supertuck. With a good belt, you should be good to go!

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    I carry a G23 everyday, dressed casually in shorts/kakis T-shirt/polo/button down or business in slacks and a blazer; no problem at all. I prefer AIWB carry and even a Sig disappears there.

I carry a G23... It's just fine for CC/EDC. You arguement for shots on target isn't valid though. If YOU feel you can shoot your 23 in a stressful situation then carry on.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

The ability to put shots on target is absolutely valid, and it is true that every shot counts. If/when the time comes to draw your weapon, circumstance may require movement, one-handed shooting, contact distance work, etc. Putting multiple shots on target while moving and shooting a DAO pocket pistol with one hand, with speed, is likely to be far more challenging than people realize.

Something > nothing, but carrying a platform with which you are more capable is ideal whenever it's an option. Practicing and challenging yourself is also a good idea.
    goldshellback likes this.

A G23 is fine for CCW, not a sub-compact, but not full size either. Right in the middle! Would a G27 hide a little bit better....sure, but a 23 will still get the job done. If you carry in a Hybrid style holster one more forward cant adjustment should make up for the little extra grip you have, not a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtnmanca View Post
    So I have just recently obtained my ccw and I plan on using my glock 23 for my carry weapon. Some friends have told me its too bulky. They carry either a ruger LCR or kahr p380. Now obviously those are smaller but they lack the power I want. Sure you can simply drop them in a pocket but in the way of the moment when you need it and aren't as accurate due to stress and adrenaline, every shot counts and when you use in my opinion a "pea shooter" it's that much harder. I also bought a crossbreed super tuck holster and have been told it makes carrying much more comfortable. Will I over time agree and say my glock is too bulky and switch to a pea shooter that costs 700 bucks??
    So, from what I am reading, the LCR which can be had in .357 is a pea shooter? I love pea shooters then!

In all honesty, carrying inside the waistband takes time to get used to. I carry my Glock 27 IWB from time to time and have no problem doing so. At first, it was uncomfortable, but over time it got much better. I'd much rather carry a pea shooter than nothing at all. Pretty much just carry whatever you can that is comfortable. A gun sitting at home will do you no good when you are at the store and a situation arises.

This is a very subjective topic...that said, here it goes:

I live in a moderate climate where we have a lot of snow in the winter (120"+ per season; 3' on the ground right now) and a high average of 75 in August although we get days above 90. So, we go from one extreme to the next.

In the winter, I usually wear a hooded sweatshirt or fleece jacket. I carry a G19 (same size as a G23) in a Theis IWB holster similar to a CrossBreed Supertuck (I don't like CB's CS and personal theory). I have absolutely no issues with this carry method from Oct-April. In the warmer months, I usually wear a T-shirt and the G19 grip prints a little bit. The gun is "heavy" on the waistband of my shorts too, so I now have a Kahr PM9 for summer carry in a Mitch Rosen CLP Clipper or a pocket holster of my choice. I could carry the G19 in the summer months if I got bigger T-shirts or wore a button down shirt over the T-shirt. I choose not to do so though because I'm a sweater and need my space, per se, in the warmer months.

P.S. I also have a G26 (same size as a G27) and I find it just as inconvenient in the summer as the G19. I especially don't like how it rides in an IWB holster.

No problem for me carrying Glock 23 in Supertuck even in summer. I use LCR in pocket as BUG also. Most people think they are printing even when they are not because they feel the weight of the gun on the belt and are self conscious. Even if there is a slight bulge only trained observer will notice. So its no big deal if you are legally carrying.
    Laus Deo

Those who are willing to trade freedom for security will have neither.
    You alone are responsible for your defense.

The glock 23 is a great CCW gun. An important factor to keep in mind is when you carry a weapon legaly, it doesnt conform to you, you conform to it. You may have to change your style of dress, clothing type, etc to properly conceal a weapon. Also, a good heavy belt is a must for comfortable carry. I wear a t shirt with a large button down down ls / ss unbuttoned, but I have gressed this way for years. I carried a kahr cm9 for a long time and while a great gun, i actually wanted bigger. I now have a ruger SR40c, pretty close to your 23 in size. I have no issues. You have to experiment with carry positions and clothing to find what works right. You may very well be better suited for a smaller gun, and their are lots of subcompacts that pack a wollop ( Kahr CM9 / CM40, beretta NANO, S&W shield, Ruger LC9 to name a few). small does not mean underpowered. If you have friends who carry, ask them the hows and whys of what works for them. It may work for you too. Heck, you could even borrow their weapon for a day or two if it is smaller and see what you think. Lots of possibilities if you are willing to experiment.

I say this in almost everyone of these "can I conceal this" threads...Try a bellyband. I'm 5'7" 150lbs with a 30" waist and conceal a G23 with a fitted dress shirt, tucked or untucked with no problem. Inexpensive, comfortable, versatile and as a added benefit, the pistol stays in place if you have to drop trou in a public place!

That said, I'm looking for a slimmer, lighter gun right now for when the need arises but, that will also go in the bellyband.
    Luis

"Everybody's got a plan, 'til they get hit".

Mike Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by Luis50 View Post
    I say this in almost everyone of these "can I conceal this" threads...Try a bellyband. I'm 5'7" 150lbs with a 30" waist and conceal a G23 with a fitted dress shirt, tucked or untucked with no problem. Inexpensive, comfortable, versatile and as a added benefit, the pistol stays in place if you have to drop trou in a public
    I find them hot and slower to draw from. Without a velcro retention strap the gun may fall out.
    When I carry low inside the pants my pants fall down. What I do like for deep concealment is the under the arm bellyband with shoulder strap. This is the main reason there are so many holsters. You just have to experiment and find what works for you.
    Laus Deo

Those who are willing to trade freedom for security will have neither.
    You alone are responsible for your defense.

I am another that will say the Glock 23 is NOT too bulky for concealment. I conceal an XD9 Service, which is nearly identical in size to your pistol, and I'm probably a much smaller person than you. I was in a similar situation as you when I first got my carry license. Only had the XD, loved it, and didn't want to shell out $$ for a smaller carry pistol at the time. I MADE it work. You sound like you're on the right track and motivated to conceal the pistol you love. The Super Tuck is popular for good reason--it works for a lot of folks, it's comfortable and adjustable.

Give it time, ANY gun will feel weird, heavy, and uncomfortable to carry at first. Heck, sometimes I'll grab my little XDs instead of the XD9, throw it in my hoodie pocket (in a pocket holster, of course), and I feel naked compared to carrying the full size on my hip. Practice around the house, and in no time you'll feel oddly "light, too, without it.
    EDC--XD9 Service and/or XDs-45 depending on my mood
    Soon-to-be new mama to a S&W 66-2 4"

Re: Glock 23 concealed carry

I'm 6 ft 240 lbs....

Concealed a S&W 4006 for 15+ years wearing Kakis, blue jeans, Polo shirts, FD "job shirts", hoodies, sport jacket, and even the occasional formal suit.

Now that I carry a Glock 23, it's even easier.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I927 using Tapatalk 2

lel
    Carry a G23 in a Brommeland MaxCon V IWB. I'm 6 feet 190 lbs. Gun virtually dissappears at 4:00 position.

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    I carried a Glock 19 all over with 3 spare magazines and nobody knew I was carrying, used a Crossbreed Supertuck. My current G32 is carried in an OWB holster and again with my style of clothing, nobody knows.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links