My first possible CCW weapon - Page 2

My first possible CCW weapon

This is a discussion on My first possible CCW weapon within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by petes67bird Thanks MamaMaria, helps alot. Have you ever shot a shield or held one? If you have could you comment on what ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: My first possible CCW weapon

Quote Originally Posted by petes67bird View Post
    Thanks MamaMaria, helps alot. Have you ever shot a shield or held one? If you have could you comment on what you thought in comparison to the XDS. I really like the look of the XDS and it would be nice to have something that I do not have in terms of caliber. Thanks again for your review, helps alot.
    I have not shot a Shield, but I've handled one a ways back. Size wise, the Shield and XDs are very, very similar. As far as pocket carry potential, I cannot comment. My tiny lady sized pockets would not fit any pistol. IWB, however, is super concealable with these size of pistols. I prefer single clip kydex or a Remora holster for the task (the less stuff shoved down my waistband the better for comfort, is my theory).

The major differences I saw were in the trigger and safety. I personally do not care for the M&P hinged trigger (I have shot a full size, I would assume the Shield would be similar). Well, actually, I won't mince words. I hate the M&P triggers. Especially being accustomed to Glock, you may find the trigger on a Shield very alien. The Shield also has a thumb safety that the XDs does not. Personal preference again, but I do not want thumb safeties on my CCW. I much prefer the passive grip safety of the XD line.

I hear ya on diversifying calibers. It was one reason I chose the XDs in .45, rather than waiting for Springfield to release it in 9mm. I already own enough 9mm pistols. As well, if I'm going to carry a single stack, low-capacity pistol, I'd rather carry one with a larger caliber.
    EDC--XD9 Service and/or XDs-45 depending on my mood
    Soon-to-be new mama to a S&W 66-2 4"

I also wanted to add, since you're a Glock owner already, have you considered the Glock 36? A wee bit larger than the XDs and Shield, but still a single stack .45 that would be very suitable for a highly concealable pistol.

I have not looked into the 36 at all. I looked at the 26 and didnt like the thickness of the gun at all. Have you shot the 36 at all? How does it compare recoil and otherwise to XDS? Thanks again. Pete

Re: My first possible CCW weapon

I can't argue the thumb safety, but FWIW the Shield trigger is miles ahead of the rest of the M&P line.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

Have you looked at the Kahr CW45?

Recoil is easy, fits in your price range, and is single stack with enough grip length to get all your hand on it.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I have not looked into the 36 at all. I looked at the 26 and didnt like the thickness of the gun at all. Have you shot the 36 at all? How does it compare recoil and otherwise to XDS? Thanks again. Pete
    I have not shot the 36, so I could not comment on the recoil. The feel of the Glock is so subjective. Like I said, a wee bit larger in overall length and height (about a smidge wider than the XDs). Glocks do not fit my hand or natural point aim at all, so I did not consider them for myself. Your best bet would be to find some or all of these choices to handle, shoot or rent at a range. Shield, XDs, and Glock 36 are three very popular and well regarded choices for single stack, striker fired pistols. It all comes down to personal preference in how they feel and shoot for you.

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Have you looked at the Kahr CW45?

Recoil is easy, fits in your price range, and is single stack with enough grip length to get all your hand on it.
    Oh yeah, the Kahr CW line is a nice offering as well (many calibers available, too). Not much to look at (but CCWs aren't for show, lol), but nice shooters at a nice price. No thumb safeties to worry about, with a nice, heavy enough trigger to act as safety.

I was gonna look at the Kahr PM9 at the gun range. Whats the difference between the CW and PM lines.

OP, I don't think the XDs recoil is very much at all. That said, all subcompacts of the "more robust" carry calibers (9mm & up) have a good sized kick. One review of the XDs said it's "...like high-fiving a hammer." While it's not that bad, it does have a solid recoil and aggressive grips. I could see someone disliking it, especially if they've had it built up as a bad recoil.

My buddy's Kahr CM9 kicks just as bad...it's only 9mm, but it's a really light gun.

Obviously I didn't think the XDs was bad at all. I'm not a big guy (5'7", 155 lbs). Is it the most fun gun to shoot? No. I didn't buy it to be my most fun gun to shoot. It's light, it carries very well, I'm accurate with it, I enjoy shooting it (not the most, but a lot), and it's a .45.

I've not fired a Shield, so I can't compare. But MamaMaria is right...there's nothing like comparison. Find a range that rents 'em, even if you need to take a little drive (make a weekend of it) and shoot the XDs, the Shield, G30s, G36....whatever.

Or, if you get really bored, come on down to KY. I'll let ya'll shoot my XDs to your heart's content.

I was gonna look at the Kahr PM9 at the gun range. Whats the difference between the CW and PM lines.
    P Series has polyganol rifled barrel
    Pretty writing on the slide
    More machined slide
    Dovetailed front sight
    $200 higher price tag

CM9/CW9 is good enough for most social encounters. You can add night sights from the Kahr web site if you want to go that route.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

CW is a bit bigger than the CM/PM series. The PM is quite a bit higher in price than the CM/CW series.

CW45 is 6+1, CM/PM45 are 5+1.

CW is $380, CM is $410, and PM is $730 based on our area pricing at Davidsons. Of course none are in stock right now.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Wow thanks for telling me about Kahrs.

DrBald I would love to take you up on that offer but I am on the border of Illinois/Wisconsin, quite a hall.Probably could buy both the shield and xds with the gas money saved in the truck.

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    I own both Ruger lcp and S&W Bodyguard.I carry my Ruger Lcp in a soft uncle mike holster.
    I don't even know it's there.I in the process of buying a new holster for the bodyguard.
    The Ruger going to cost around $325-$350 you could buy a decent pocket holster for $25.oo.
    And you be able buy ammo with the generous budget you have. The bodyguard a revolver
    that's a new model with bells and whisles and your budget of $500 not enough as I pais $650
    for mine a year ago.The price may be down a bit as the model a year older.You might want
    to see if you could buy a used j frame,I bought S&W Cheif Special for $300.The revolvers have
    capacity of 5 rounds and the ruger holds 6 plus one in the chamber. Good Luck!

I've shot the Shield in 9mm and at one point had one on order. The reality is that the Shield really isn't that small, I eventually cancelled my order and bought a M&P9c because it is only about 2oz heavier and depending on magazine choice is actually shorter than the Shield. I felt that the difference in thickness was insignificant and the added magazine capacity of the 9c made it a better option for me. It rides IWB and I have never had a big issue concealing it.

Senior Member Array RightyLefty's Avatar

Re: My first possible CCW weapon

Petes67bird,

Since you are in No. IL and interested in XDs .45, one place I know that has one to rent is Fletcher Arms in Waukesha, WI. I rented the XDs myself and the recoil is just a bit more than my 9mm Shield. It is a great place to shoot and nice people to deal with. Just be sure you have your FOID card if you decide to go.

http://www.fletcherarms.com/index-2.html

Sent from my Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 2.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links