My first possible CCW weapon - Page 3

My first possible CCW weapon

This is a discussion on My first possible CCW weapon within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OP, my wife grew up near Chicago, & still has family there. It is a long haul!...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: My first possible CCW weapon

RE: My first possible CCW weapon

OP, my wife grew up near Chicago, & still has family there. It is a long haul!

G26 all the way.

Quote Originally Posted by petes67bird View Post
    I was gonna look at the Kahr PM9 at the gun range. Whats the difference between the CW and PM lines.
    Someone already gave a pretty good explanation of the differences, CM9 is identical to the PM9 where it matters, and significantly less expensive. With the exception of the shield, I have all the pistols you're considering and discussing.

I'm 5'8" 215lb. My go to carry is a CM9 in a pocket holster. It will hide easily, comfortably and reliably in anything I wear, year round. My second in line for year round is the XDs. I carry it either in a pocket holster or OWB. It isn't much bigger, to me, than the CM9 and as drbald said, to me the recoil between the CM9 & XDs, feel about the same. I would think at 6'6" you could pocket carry it. Both my wife and my 9 year old can shoot the XDs without issue. You will read a lot of negatives on this gun. All I can tell you is, my friend is a firearms instructor, I've let many of his students and my friends run this gun. Noone has had any issue with function, reliability or recoil with my XDs. I like the XDs. I prefer the trigger on the XDs to any of my Glocks(and I love my Glocks, the 19 I carry alot during winter). I think the XDs in 9mm will be a great gun. I don't expect I'll get one since it's kind of a duplicate for me. The Shield 9mm was nice and I've had a chance to run one of those. $480 for the Xds seems like a heck of a deal.

I'm with you on the G26/27. I still have a 27. It's too big for pocket, and too thick for me to be comfortable IWB. So then it goes to OWB. If I'm going OWB, I'm going to step up to my 19 as the size difference is negligible for me in that application.

Don't you just love this country where we (currently) have all these great choices?

Good Luck!
    -Paul

Kahr CM9..... it is a highly underrated gun. I sold mine to get a shield and wish I never did, since i cant get the shield now either :( It is small, lightweight, easy to shoot dead reliable, very accurate, and its nice to look at too. I highly recommend pearce grip extenders though, it is a very short grip. I just picked up a ruger SR0c , but havent shot so I cant recommend it as of yet. I will def be getting another cm9 soon though.

Kahr's a good choice.

Hello, I just wanted to throw my 2 cents in. I'm female, 5'5", 120lbs. (short waist, long legs). I have a Shield .40 and LOVE it. It conceals well with winter wear and loose T-shirts IWB.....However, for summer (ie. semi snug tank tops in Florida weather) I'm going to get something a bit smaller (Maybe a Bodyguard .380). If I had a longer waist or a bit more meat on my bones, the Shield might work. As far as width goes, there is no way I could go any wider. As it is now, I'm still trying to find a holster that doesn't add any width. Currently I use a Foxx (leather/kydex) holster and a cheap Blackhawk holster (Not perfect, but works for me ok. Still working on best position). Although its a .40, this pistol is as easy to shoot as the Ruger LC9 (The LC9 was my first and I sold it to get the Shield....Did NOT like the LC9). Hope that helps.

I carry a Glock 30 (subcompact). 10 + 1 rounds of .45 I bought it from a guy cause the price was right but I have grown to really like it. They have a 30S that has a slimmer slide. I would recommend you look at that if you think this is something you want. I can conceal the 30 but it is a bit brickish. They also make a 36 that is alot slimmer but it's just an inline mag that I think is only 6 rounds. Good luck!

Goose
    "These days I go down to Wal-Mart and they sell 'em in the back.
    Some people wanna take 'em away, why don't you go bust them boys that's sellin' crack.
    Guns, whether Remingtons 'er Glocks.
    Come on man it ain't like I'm a slingin' 'em on the block." - Justin Moore

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links