My first possible CCW weapon

This is a discussion on My first possible CCW weapon within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi Everyone, First time poster but have been reading daily here for 2 years. Every time I read a CCW question, it brings either more ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: My first possible CCW weapon

My first possible CCW weapon

Hi Everyone,
    First time poster but have been reading daily here for 2 years. Every time I read a CCW question, it brings either more doubt or more questions. The problem has been over this past year, that I cannot hold any of these weapons as the stores in Northern Illinois NEVER have them in stock. In case you havent heard yet, Illinois may very well be getting CCW in the near future and I would like to be prepared. I have about a 500 dollar budget and want to get on a list to get one of these weapons. The problem I have is I need to find a gun that both suits me well, as well as my wife. I have 3 guns I have narrowed my choices down to. The XDS in 45, the XDS in 9mm. I also didnt know if it was better to get a pocket gun such as a LCP or Bodyguard first than follow up with a IWB weapon. As you can tell, I really dont know where to start. My current shooters at the range are my Glock 17, SW Model 16-4 in 32magnum, Ruger Mark II, and Ruger 10/22. I never owned a compact or subcompact so I need some good advice. I almost bought a XDS brand new out of state last week for 480, but then started reading about the recoil being a bit harsh for my wife. Any and all advice is welcomed for this newbie. I know in an ideal world, my wife and I would have seperate weapons specifically targeted for one another, but we struggle financially and need to be able to interchange weapons. Thanks Pete

2. Remove Ads

Just curious as to why you'd not consider a G19 considering you currently shoot it's big brother? Having familiarity with the function of a Glock would make the transition much easier.

Maybe try to find a group of shooters locally and attend one of their get togethers and see if you could try other guns. We do that often here when someone new wants to try out new guns. Just cover the ammo costs and you'd be most likely warmly welcomed.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

NC Bullseye hit the nail on the head I believe. Hang around the range, with some ammo, and meet some new friends. Most guys around here wouldn't mind letting you shoot their guns, and in fact would enjoy showing them off to you. Make some friends with the guys running the range, and they'll introduce you to more folks. Network, network. LOL

Eventually you'll know exactly what you want.

Be safe.
    DannyB1954 likes this.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

Check out the G26, you can use mags from your 17 in it. As for the XDs, I'd pass, I'm not a fan of the XD in general. They're a rebranded Euro import, feel cheap, and are WAY overpriced, but that's just my opinion.

Thanks for the advice guys. The G19 is larger than what I want to carry, I am worried that the XDS and Shield may be a bit large to carry comfortably so I was looking at the LCP and Bodyguard as well. I am also trying to stay in Single Stacks as it will be more comfortable to conceal. I have gone 30+ years with being unable to carry and have survived, so in my thinking 6-10 bullets is 600-1000 percent more than I was ever allowed to have in the past. I looked at the G26, but that thing is a fatty when compared to the shield and other single stacks. I have heard of issues with the XDS and some issues with Springfield and their warranty. Then the other day I go on the Shield forums and see one that blew up at the range in someones hands. I just am lost and dont know what to do. I have read so much and read so many problems for EVERY gun that its hard to make a choice without getting to hold them. I go to the range 2x a month and everyone has mostly full size, mostly lower end guns around my area. TBH, the past 2 months our ranges have been bare due to the ammo shortage, they dont even have ammo there. Any more suggestions would be great. Would love to hear from someone who has shot both the shield and XDS, or if I should go with a pocket gun first.

While I'd say the exact opposite of MJB_17 concerning the XD line (I love my XDs), if you've already got a lot of familiarity with Glocks and like them, go with that. Although I don't like shooting them, they're great machines. The fact that we like different guns and strongly recommend them over others is part of what makes this a great community to get input from, by the way.

A huge part of CCDW is being comfortable with what's on you. The gun doesn't have to be a subcompact. In fact, if you aren't comfortable enough with it to shoot it well under stress, it's a bad idea no matter what size it is.

Thread of shield exploding My Shield went boom.

Drbald1, do you think a female would have a hard time with a xds in 45? Female is 5'6 130 and I am 6'6 240. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by petes67bird View Post
    Drbald1, do you think a female would have a hard time with a xds in 45? Female is 5'6 130 and I am 6'6 240. Thanks
    Is she bigger than this guy?Miko Andres (1) WORLD'S YOUNGEST SHOOTER 6 years old - YouTube

The answer is, she COULD do it...it's up to her.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Check out the m&P 9mm compact. Small and light enough to conceal and big enough to shoot at the range all day. Good capacity and can use 17 round full size m&p mags.

Thanks Restupt. My concern lies within the short and small nature of the XDS in 45. I personally have never shot a 45, but I have shot a Glock in 40 which supposedly has more recoil than a 45, and my wife did as well.

@sixgun, correct me if I am wrong but istn the mp 9mm compact the same size or larger than the glock 26. Width and weight is a big issue, especially when you arent used to ever carrying on you. I want the thinnest and lightest available in my current mindset. While the Glock 26 is light, it is a double stack at about an inch and a quarter in width or a little less than that. To me, that is a bit thick to conceal easily and I dont want to have to dress around a weapon. Thanks for the suggestions guys, also looking for more info on a Kahr PM9. Like I said thin and lightweight with a 6 capacity minimum. 17 rounds of 9mm will be heavy.

So first question I need answered is Single stack or pocket 380 for first CC gun?

Then if its a single stack, if you had to choose, would it be shield 9, XDS 9 or go with the XDS 45? Or recommend another single stack. Trying to stay away from double stacks, I already have G17 for home protection.

Since you have the G17, the G26 as a carry gun is a no-brainer. My everday carry is a G26 and I also carry a G19 or G17 when clothing allows. I always carry a second gun and
    its either a Keltec PF-9 or a Kahr CM9. Both ride in my right front pants pocket in a pocket holster.

Glock 26

Kahr CM9
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Glock 26 is too fat/blocky to be comfortable, already touched on this as to why I want a single stack only. Thanks though. I am looking for an all around gun that is HIGHLY concealable and comfortable. One that can fit in a pocket of some pants and also on the waist. Like I said any gun is better than no gun, I dont plan on entering a shootout. I am hoping I never have to brandish it. What I do want is in the case I ever have to use it, to have something comfortable, thin and light, because then I will be less prone to leaving it at home and unused.

Female here. Similar size to what you posted, slender and a bit on the weaker side. The XDs in .45 is one of my CCWs. Love it. I currently carry the XD9 Service more often (winter wear conceals it fine). The XDs will be my primary summer carry (practically disappears in an IWB holster). It's a fantastically accurate shooter for its size. The recoil is not an issue (unless I try to shoot 100+ rounds in one range session, but I can't afford to do that anyway).
    EDC--XD9 Service and/or XDs-45 depending on my mood
    Soon-to-be new mama to a S&W 66-2 4"

Thanks MamaMaria, helps alot. Have you ever shot a shield or held one? If you have could you comment on what you thought in comparison to the XDS. I really like the look of the XDS and it would be nice to have something that I do not have in terms of caliber. Thanks again for your review, helps alot.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links