Beretta Bobcat 21A: .22 or .25 for CCW?

This is a discussion on Beretta Bobcat 21A: .22 or .25 for CCW? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yes, I know, either sounds ridiculously underwhelming for self-defense but my hands are bad, arthritis compounded by injuries. I have a good SD gun: an ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Beretta Bobcat 21A: .22 or .25 for CCW?

Yes, I know, either sounds ridiculously underwhelming for self-defense but my hands are bad, arthritis compounded by injuries. I have a good SD gun: an FN Five-SeveN; they have quite low recoil but the ammo for that is nowhere to be found and when FN finally pushes out more God knows what the price will be, it was not cheap to begin with. So, I wouldn't mind a teeny-weeny in addition and the Bobcat seems to fit the bill.

But I know zero about .25 cal - except one interesting thing at my range and may be coming to others and to stores: they can't get .22!
    Are we coming to THAT? Well, looks like it. Range does have .25, don't think it costs much (should look and find out).

Anyway, what would the recoil be like for .25 (for anyone who might know this Beretta teeny) and is it a significant difference from .22 for Defense, CCW?

Course theres the .32 also in Beretta, and I know zip also about .32 also - except some have said it can give you a good recoil-whack in a very small gun. My hands can't take any whacks. Even .38 spl (non +p) hurts quite a bit when I shoot and for days after. (And even the Five SeveN I only shoot about 15 rounds from. After that, pain starts.)

Thanks for any views on this.

While the 25 may be underwhelming, it is probably more reliable than rimfire for SD. That is even arguable though, I haven't had a 22LR misfire/no fire in several years, so the reliability may be better. Having said that, I would, if needed, gravitate to the 32.

The tip up barrel is user friendly with hand problems. I have a Bobcat 22LR and it's been great, but it took awhile to insure the functions were perfect - some stovepipes and other FTE's until ammo, lube, cleanliness matters all figured out.

You might try the 22LR, and if you can afford it, then get the 32 to carry. Same manual of arms, feel, etc. but practice would be cheaper with 22LR, and easier on the hands.

I have no personal experience with the 25 or 32 or even 380, so maybe someone will chime in.

Good luck, and welcome!
    detective and StormRhydr like this.

I would not trust .22 rimfire in an autoloader. If you want to go .22, I would suggest a revolver, like the .22 LCR - which gives you a capacity of 8.

The centerfire .25 would be more reliable in an autoloader.

I would lean more to the .22 revolver. Ammo is scarce now, no matter the caliber. Hopefully, things will come back to reality somewhat soon.
    Rock and Glock and ExGM like this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

If you want to go .22, I would suggest a revolver, like the .22 LCR - which gives you a capacity of 8.
    I hadn't even thought of a revolver. That's an alternative you ought to consider. Great comment, 10thmtn.
    detective likes this.

i got two of the 21a and one old jetfire in 25acp. the jetfire has never given me any problems. but both 21a's will stove pipe if i fully load the mags. if i down load by one no problems. this also happen with my spare mags. i would go with the 25 acp.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

theyy make a 22 mag LCR, just another one to think about

Ruger® LCR® Double-Action Revolver Models

Administrator
    Normally and some years ago I would have said Go with the .25 since it is is center-fire rather than rim-fire so your reliability will be better...but, these days I would probably say go with the rim-fire but, only use high quality MATCH GRADE .22 rim-fire silhouette ammo.
    I have yet to see a Match Grade Dud.
    Be prepared to spend more $$$ for true Match Grade ammo though.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

...I'd go for the .22LR...in a revolver...the 8-shot LCR or a SP101...

LCR in .22 mag seems like a good choice to me

Quote Originally Posted by frankmako View Post
    i got two of the 21a and one old jetfire in 25acp. the jetfire has never given me any problems. but both 21a's will stove pipe if i fully load the mags. if i down load by one no problems. this also happen with my spare mags. i would go with the 25 acp.
    Saw a Jetfire .25 on Gunbroker yesterday. Problem is I want to trade a present low-cost gun for whatever I get, and my range-owner is pretty fair about trade values.

Quote Originally Posted by Boozehound View Post
    LCR in .22 mag seems like a good choice to me
    I saw S&W had a revolver in .22 mag but PricEY! And Taurus had another, $329 at some gunstore (new). Never had a Taurus though - know they get mixed reviews.

I'll likely go for 21A in .25 Cal, my range-store has 2: new one - I forget the exact price, $300 or thereabouts; the used one, in box with manual and looks pretty pristine, is $160. (That's about what a box of ammo will cost soon.)
    dV8r likes this.

Since the used one is used - maybe they'll let you test fire it? make sure it will work with your arthritis...?

Good luck!
    detective likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

If they have a bobcat for $160 I would jump all over it.
    Don't underestimate the little .25acp. FMJ's get 15" of penetration. 9 rounds to someones chest would probably discourage an attack.

.22LR vs .25ACP - THR

Here's my 'walk to the corner store' bobcat when my P239/357 is just to big. I just love these little guns.

nechaev likes this.

I'v had both years ago, get the 25 acp for reliability. The best 25 ever made. I would even take it over a baby browning if value was not considered since the browning is a collectible piece now.
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links