First Day at Range with M&P Shield 9mm

This is a discussion on First Day at Range with M&P Shield 9mm within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I took my new M&P Shield 9mm to the range today. Put 100 rounds through it. Zero issues with 70 or so rounds of hardball, ...

Thread: First Day at Range with M&P Shield 9mm

First Day at Range with M&P Shield 9mm

I took my new M&P Shield 9mm to the range today. Put 100 rounds through it. Zero issues with 70 or so rounds of hardball, but tried some older +P factory JHP I had laying around (Remington 115gr and Black Hills 115gr). Anyway, I had 2 failures. Both times the spent case didn't fully eject and was still completely "inside"/slide jammed open (i.e. not really "stovepiped"), so the next round never chambered.

Any thoughts? Maybe something wrong with the gun ejecting spent cases?

I also put 50 rounds thru a Glock 23, no problems/no failures, and that was a dirty rental gun! I don't think I was limp wristing with the Shield. I did strip, clean and lubricate the new Shield before I brought it to the range.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    Overpressure. Brass was still expanded and the extractor overroad the rim. Too hot of load for the gun.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

I put 100 though my 9mm shield FMJ 1/2 were 114 grain and 1/2 were 124 grain. No issues what so ever. It was the first shooting too.

I had a similar issue with a shield, except it was with ball ammo and on the first magazine. When I pulled the slide back slowly, I could feel it "catch" before it went fully to the rear. If you forced it, it would move past the catch and cycle all the way. I'm convinced this "catch" in the slide is what caused my problem. I manually racked the slide 200 times and tried again. The slide felt much smoother and I haven't had an issue since. I've found one other person so far that could feel the same thing when racking the slide on their Shield. It's worth checking into.

Quote Originally Posted by F350_6 View Post
    I had a similar issue with a shield, except it was with ball ammo and on the first magazine. When I pulled the slide back slowly, I could feel it "catch" before it went fully to the rear. If you forced it, it would move past the catch and cycle all the way. I'm convinced this "catch" in the slide is what caused my problem. I manually racked the slide 200 times and tried again. The slide felt much smoother and I haven't had an issue since. I've found one other person so far that could feel the same thing when racking the slide on their Shield. It's worth checking into.
    Checked this out. Can't say I noticed anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Chorizo View Post
    Overpressure. Brass was still expanded and the extractor overroad the rim. Too hot of load for the gun.
    Interesting. I'll have to try some standard pressure JHP and see what happens. Makes me think maybe I should've looked a little longer to find a nice Glock 26. I think those will eat +P's all day long...I know my 17 does. Oh well, an excuse to buy another gun.
    Last edited by Pro; February 8th, 2013 at 09:05 AM. Reason: typo

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    I wouldnt worry about it much, keep running hard ball through it and break it in good. I'm sure it will be fine once broken in.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Just keep shooting it. There is a lot of talk about "breaking in" a gun. To me that just means more range time (a win for me). I wouldn't carry it for SD until all the kinks are worked out.

I'll be hitting the range this weekend with my new Shield40...I'll be checking on the slide "catch" here shortly.

Links