SR40C followed me home.....

This is a discussion on SR40C followed me home..... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I sold my Kahr last week to help fund a shield, and the shield seller backed out on me so I made some calls and ...

Thread: SR40C followed me home.....

I sold my Kahr last week to help fund a shield, and the shield seller backed out on me so I made some calls and found one in-stock at a LGS. Drove over to get it guess what..... what was a shield was actually a SW M&P 40c :( I guess the owners father likes to help out but his eye sight is really bad. No worries, so I looked around and found a NIB Ruger SR40c. I have looked at them several times and never pulled the trigger, so I said what the hell. Now lemme say, i s is a pretty fugly gun. But, when I held it, I really really liked it. I love the sights on it, the trigger is super crisp, it points naturally for me, and feels solid in my hand, like it was a part of me. So i took it home for $460 OTD. the only downside to the whle deal is even though I live in indiana, its MA compliant, so it came with two 9 rnd mags instead of the 9 and a hi cap. A bummer but it is livable. Cant wait to get it out and throw some lead downrange soon. I just wish it was prettier lol. So does anyone have any suggestions or experiences with the SR40c that could share them. Thinking of dropping in a ghost trigger bar and night sights will be coming eventually. Also, how does the mag disconnect work ? My gun still goes click with no mag.....

You are a much more patient man than I am...Congrats on the new piece, the SR series are very well made. As far as the mag disconnect, what it is supposed to do is basically act as a safety if the trigger is pulled without a magazine inserted. For many (myself included) this is a major no no for a carry gun since accidentally ejecting the mag is something that could easily happen in a high stress situation. In my experience, most guns fired without a mag inserted tend to FTE, but getting one shot off is better than not being able to at all. Pull the trigger on an empty chamber or a snap cap, does your trigger go dead after? If so, you may have a defective weapon.

Isn't it fun to pick up strays?

My EDC is a SR40c, I have put about a 1000 rounds thru it so far and no problems. I really like it. If there is any faults, it is a little hard to rack the slide but that could be me. Some say they are to "snappy" but that has not been an issue with me.

I carry all day until bedtime in a Crossbreed Super Tuck and I like the holster as well. Good luck with your new pistol.

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    Nice!!!

Well done, sir! That's $460.00 very well spent.

the mag disconnect........the trigger still feels like it fires, but it does not. Somebody at Ruger had a sick sense of humor
    when they designed the mag disconnect on the SR series.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    the mag disconnect........the trigger still feels like it fires, but it does not. Somebody at Ruger had a sick sense of humor
    when they designed the mag disconnect on the SR series.
    I agree.... The first time it went click I about messed my self lol. It was very unexpected. In the end it wont be a big deal as I am more than likely going to remove the mad disconnect.

Quote Originally Posted by Ksgunner View Post
    My EDC is a SR40c, I have put about a 1000 rounds thru it so far and no problems. I really like it. If there is any faults, it is a little hard to rack the slide but that could be me. Some say they are to "snappy" but that has not been an issue with me.

I carry all day until bedtime in a Crossbreed Super Tuck and I like the holster as well. Good luck with your new pistol.
    Coming from kahr CM9, I think the ruger slide is quite easy lol. Glad to hear its a soft shooting 40. I figured it would be given the weight of the gun. Love the .40 but I hate it in lightweight guns.

Quote Originally Posted by MJB_17 View Post
    You are a much more patient man than I am...Congrats on the new piece, the SR series are very well made. As far as the mag disconnect, what it is supposed to do is basically act as a safety if the trigger is pulled without a magazine inserted. For many (myself included) this is a major no no for a carry gun since accidentally ejecting the mag is something that could easily happen in a high stress situation. In my experience, most guns fired without a mag inserted tend to FTE, but getting one shot off is better than not being able to at all. Pull the trigger on an empty chamber or a snap cap, does your trigger go dead after? If so, you may have a defective weapon.
    Patience is not a strong point of mine lol, but I am waiting for a replacement copy of my CCW permit, so until that gets here I cant carry anyway lol. If I was patient I would have waited to get my sticky mitts on a shield.

I also have an SR40c. I love it! It seems a little bulky to cc on me. I'm 5'11'' 155lbs, but I'm still trying to get comfortable with it. Keep us updated on your modifications! I removed the mag disconnect on mine...very easy

Distinguished Member
    I have the SR9c, virtually identical to the SR40c. I think it looks great. Mine is the two tone stainless slide version. Much more appealing to me than the all black guns that seem to be the rage now. You'll like it.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

OP, congratulations on the new Sr40c!
    I have one (& 9c) it is fantastic, you'll love it.

Shoot straight and safe.

Lateck,
    Proud Ruger & SIG owner, in the Free State of Arizona

Links