recoil?

This is a discussion on recoil? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know you have to shoot the guns to really get an idea of recoil, but was wondering if someone could give me an idea ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: recoil?

recoil?

I know you have to shoot the guns to really get an idea of recoil, but was wondering if someone could give me an idea of how the recoil feels for a few guns? Genitron.com has the recoil listed for these but I find it hard to visualize. Here are the ones I'm curious about: Bersa Model Thunder .380 Conceal Carry, Sig Sauer P238, Sig Sauer P938 (is it true the grip is almost exactly the same size?), Sig Sauer P232, Kahr CW9. I figure if I get a bit of an idea, that will give me a little bit of a reference for the recoil factor on Genitron's site. The closest place to rent guns is Indy and I don't care much for the place. Please keep in mind that I am a woman with small, girly hands :), so the lower the recoil, the better. (Ps. I know there are both 380 and 9mm in the list. It's hard to find a 9mm with a grip small enough for my hands,but these fit really well.) Also, any insight to pros and cons of these guns is appreciated. You all rock! Thank you!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    This is going to be a tough question for anyone to answer because recoil is a very subjective thing, based on not only the firearm, but also the type of ammunition and the shooter's individual dynamics.

For those two calibers, avoid anything that says '+P' and shoot the heaviest bullet weight possible. I can't speak to any of your choices specifically because I've never shot any of them.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

I have shot my friends sig 238 It is one of the most gentle recoiling accurate guns I've shot and the slide was extremely easy to rack,the Bersa is gonna be a heavier gun and that being said the recoil should be minimal
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    How people perceive recoil is a very personal and individual thing. You need to keep that in mind.
    Somehow you really need to test shoot the ones you are interested in.

My son and I are about the same size, yet there are pistols and revolvers which one of us will enjoy
    shooting and the other complains hurts his hands.

I know a woman who is a cop. She isn't a large person and her hands are not unusual for her size. She has no problem
    with a full size service pistol. So your size and body build are factors, but not the only factors in perception of recoil.

There just is no way to know what you will be comfortable with until you actually try one by renting or borrowing.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

smaller caliber doesnt always mean less recoil. The LCP in 380 for example bites more than a SR9c.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Welcome to the forum! My wife CC the Bersa Thunder .380 CC and she took her shooting test to get her permit with it.
    My wife likes the recoil of her gun. She barely notices the recoil and its easy enough for her to shoot one handed strong and weak hand.

Small, girly hands would work well with the CW9, but handle it yourself to be certain. Recoil with standard 9mm ammo is mild, compared to, say, standard .38 Specials in my lightweight snubbie.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Additionally, a locked breach design will have less recoil than a blow back. Most .380s are blow back, but not all. I have a 9MM and a .380, and am mildly surprised that the .380 kicks as much as it does. It is not bad, but surprising.

I own a Bersa 380 Thunder with the 15 round magazine. As others have stated, recoil is a subjective feeling dependent on the person and ammunition. The 15 round grip is, of course, wider than the single stack, and this helps with handling the recoil. my wife shots it very well, and she not very strong. This gun is very accurate, easily handled recoil, and easy to take down to clean.

recoil?

My wife also likes the Kahr CW9. It is a great little gun that fits her perfectly and doesn't have a huge amount of recoil. She loves shooting it.

I can speak to the P238 and P938.

My wife picked out the P238 because she liked the "feel" and she could rack the slide easily, which was a problem for her on some larger guns. The 238 is a very soft shooting little pistol that is exceptionally accurate for it's size. Probably half a dozen other women have shot it and loved it. I like it so much that I bought the P938 for my own carry gun. The 938 is the same height and width as the 238, but is about a half an inch longer, with the extra being split about 50/50 between the barrel and the grip. It weighs one ounce more. The difference in recoil is noticable for me, but not significant. Last week at the range I let a young woman who was a COMPLETE novice shoot it and she shot a 2-inch 5-shot group at 15 feet. It was her first time shooting a semi-automatic pistol and first day at a range of any kind.

I would recommend either gun highly. They're both "keepers" for me.

Senior Member Array wishyouwell's Avatar
    Thanks for that Genitron link. It has a lot of cool stats...

It shows all of the .40 cal Glocks to have over 10lbs of recoil compared to less than 8 for the XD.

It also shows the XD-9 to have the highest defense rating of all of the ones i compared and it comes in with less than 6lbs of recoil.

One of the ones showing the highest recoil was the G36 coming in at 12.27ft lbs

You need to be careful with 1-dimensional recoil numbers. It's not just the peak force delivered to the shooter, it's also the duration of the recoil pulse that can make the difference between comfortable and painful. It's a struggle to resist the urge to get technical here, but it's akin to the argument about would you rather be hit with 5 pounds of feathers or 5 pounds of steel. I'd be happy to elaborate if you wish.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Yeah, I think you'd like the Sigs. Really gentle recoil (insofar as recoil can be gentle), easy to handle and VERY accurate for such little guns. I like the way the trigger pulls too.

The Sig 938s have had a rough start, but problems seem to be largely ironed out for 'Gen 2' models made after Oct. 2012 or so.

At least for me though, the more I shoot the less recoil seems to matter. I kind of like it, you know? Like, how the gun goes BANG! and kicks a bit. It's like electric motors. I mean, I know the Tesla roadster accelerates FAST, but without that growl in my ear, I just can't see how it would be the same. Call me old fashioned...

Good luck!

hbc likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links