Want a .357 Sig Really Badly

This is a discussion on Want a .357 Sig Really Badly within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi, I'm currently looking for a subcompact CCW chambered in .357 sig. The problem is, I can't seem to find any subcompacts available in that ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Want a .357 Sig Really Badly

Want a .357 Sig Really Badly

Hi, I'm currently looking for a subcompact CCW chambered in .357 sig. The problem is, I can't seem to find any subcompacts available in that caliber except the Glock 33, which is too fat for my purposes. (Where I live, it's "summer carry" year-round, and without those extra layers, I really can't conceal that much.)

I thought of maybe expanding my search to include smaller compacts. I am currently looking at these (last page), but unfortunately, with the exception of the SIG p250, they're all even thicker than the Glock.

Could anyone help me find find some other pistols available in .357 sig? Something close to the size of the Walther PPS or the S&W Shield would be ideal. Also, any information about the p250 in .357 would be appreciated (seems everybody's got it in .40).

Thanks.
    You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass. --Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto
    If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. --Albert Einstein
    You taught us to imagine, and we imagined your irrelevance! --Dalek Caan

2. Remove Ads

Sig P239 is available in .357SIG. A little wider at 1.2" than the PPS at 1.04".

I have the M&P compact in 357sig. It's great.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

I carry a Sig 239. Usually OWB, but use an Andrews Custom Leather for IWB. You just need a good belt.

Quote Originally Posted by NCSoxFan View Post
    Sig P239 is available in .357SIG. A little wider at 1.2" than the PPS at 1.04".
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    I'm really, really interested in both of those, but unfortunately they're thicker than I can conceal. The extra fifth of an inch doesn't sound like much but it makes an enormous difference in person.

That said, if I ever move to a colder climate, I think the p239 and the M&P .357 would be my first choices.
    You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass. --Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto
    If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. --Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    What he said! I have several 357 Sig barrels that I swap into 40 S&W frames. I find that the M&P Compact handles the 357 Sig best! Snappy recoil, not as much as the 40 S&W, in my hands. Great round!
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms..."
    --Richard Henry Lee, 1788

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

H&K makes the USP compact in .357 Sig. Or at least you can get .357 barrels and mags for a .40 at HK Parts. It's blocky in shape like a Glock, but only 1.14 inches wide, 5.0 high and 6.81 long. Actually though, my HK .45c feels thinner except for the lever. Anyway, you might want to consider it if your primary concern is width. It's a nice, flexible pistol: if you like carrying cocked and locked you can, and if you like DA first pull, you can decock it. So you don't have to learn a new system to have it in a larger gun collection. The DA first pull IS heavy and I can get a shot off faster by snicking off the safety than I can with that dang heavy first pull but to each his own on that account. Anyway, you could carry 12 rds of .357 Sig. Not bad for a compact.

Having said all this, and I ask this with all respect and delicacy, have you fired or seen someone fire a .357 Sig? I think there's a reason it doesn't come in a really tiny form.

Cheers and best wishes!

Gav

Quote Originally Posted by GunsAndViolince View Post
    H&K makes the USP compact in .357 Sig. Or at least you can get .357 barrels and mags for a .40 at HK Parts. It's blocky in shape like a Glock, but only 1.14 inches wide, 5.0 high and 6.81 long. Actually though, my HK .45c feels thinner except for the lever. Anyway, you might want to consider it if your primary concern is width. It's a nice, flexible pistol: if you like carrying cocked and locked you can, and if you like DA first pull, you can decock it. So you don't have to learn a new system to have it in a larger gun collection. The DA first pull IS heavy and I can get a shot off faster by snicking off the safety than I can with that dang heavy first pull but to each his own on that account. Anyway, you could carry 12 rds of .357 Sig. Not bad for a compact.

Having said all this, and I ask this with all respect and delicacy, have you fired or seen someone fire a .357 Sig? I think there's a reason it doesn't come in a really tiny form.

Cheers and best wishes!

Gav

I'll have to check the H&K out. It sounds really interesting. (Hope it's not around $1000 though )

And yes, should've mentioned--I've fired the said Glock 33. The recoil wasn't bad. It wouldn't constitute what I would consider "fun" shooting, but it was quite manageable. I think its limited availability in small sizes has more to do with high pressure than recoil, but it's easy to see how the recoil would be a deterrent.

VIP Member
    You are looking for the lochness monster.
    .357 subcompact.

The best you will do is an M&Pc, Glock 32/33, P250 subcompact, which is around the same size as an M&P and a 32.
    No one makes a .357sig in like, say a kahr .40 cal pistol, single stack small 8 shot or so.

It just doesn't exist.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

If you are looking at Kahr 9/40 PM series thin or Walther PPS thin and also sub-compact in .357Sig, I think your only option would be to find an aftermarket barrel manufacture like KKM, Storm Lake, etc. that could make a custom .357Sig barrel for a Kahr PM40 or a Walther PPS .40 pistol. Of course, the chances of getting one of the aftermarket barrel manufactures to do that is probably slim to none, but maybe worth some calls. The issue you could also run into possibly with an aftermarket .357Sig barrel for those two pistols, is it could mean that you might put a little more wear and tear on the frame/slide of those firearms and if you had an issue down the road, it could possibly void the warranty with the manufacture.
    sensei2 likes this.

It's hard to beat a Glock sub-compact.

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar

Re: Want a .357 Sig Really Badly

I carry a glock 32 and even walking in downtown Dallas nobody knew I had it. Get a crossbreed or something like that and it should sink right in.

______
    Sent from my mobile device
    Bad Bob, blitzburgh and Glock357 like this.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo_Hunter View Post
    I'll have to check the H&K out. It sounds really interesting. (Hope it's not around $1000 though )

And yes, should've mentioned--I've fired the said Glock 33. The recoil wasn't bad. It wouldn't constitute what I would consider "fun" shooting, but it was quite manageable. I think its limited availability in small sizes has more to do with high pressure than recoil, but it's easy to see how the recoil would be a deterrent.
    There is also the slightly smaller P2000SK in .357 sig from HK (mostly smaller in grip length), but it will be a bit harder to find and probably more expensive to acquire than the USPc. Cheapest route to the compact is to hunt down an LE trade-in in .40, then grab a factory barrel from HK parts rather than try to find a full factory .357. The barrel is a straight swap to the 40 (same springs, slide, mags, etc). Being realistic though, you're probably in for ~$7-800 for the 40 and swap and closer to a grand IF you can find an SK in .357.

As far as recoil, I really like the 357 round in the USPc platform. Its certainly not soft recoil, but at least for me it snaps straight back down to point of aim and I find the front sight very easy to track while the action cycles. I don't have an SK in 357, but based on comparison of the SK and USPc in 9, I would expect the push to be a bit more noticeable but the cycling to be a bit more 'squishy' for lack of a better word due to the way the dual recoil spring system works in the SK.

-424D57

Edit: forgot I was going to mention with regard to width, I think the numbers on the SK might be a tad misleading for width; pretty sure it 'feels' more narrow than the USPc in grip; that measurement is probably at the slide stops which are a bit thick and are ambidextrous. Can get a set of slim levers also from HK parts if they bug you. All that said, I'm not sure either the SK or USPc are enough different than the glock to affect ability to conceal in any given set of circumstances.
    GunsAndViolince likes this.

Your best bet will be the Sig 239 or my choice, the M&P compact.
    oneshot and sensei2 like this.
    "Life is tough; it's tougher when you're stupid."

VIP Member
    I use an M&Pc 357sig, and have virtually no problem carrying it, even in summer in Mi.

Try G broker. They had 16 .357sig pistols, 3 of which were M&P's

Semi Auto Pistols for Sale - Buy Semi Auto Pistols at GunBroker.com
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links