Gen 3 or 4 Glock?

Gen 3 or 4 Glock?

This is a discussion on Gen 3 or 4 Glock? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I think I've finally decided I want to get a G26, but wasn't sure what generation I should get. What are the big differences in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Gen 3 or 4 Glock?

Gen 3 or 4 Glock?

I think I've finally decided I want to get a G26, but wasn't sure what generation I should get. What are the big differences in the 3 and 4? I know the 4 comes with backstraps but I'm not too concerned about those because I really like how the 3 feels already.
    ”One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret."
    ~Breda

I have carried a Gen4 for about 18 months now. In addition to the back straps, there is a slightly larger magazine release. The finish is different as well. The rough texture makes a difference.
    It also ships with 3 10 round magazines. And don't forget the extra cash. Costs about $50 more than the Gen3.
    I just like the way it felt in my hand a little better.

Agreed. Better fit to my hand than the Gen 3s, better grip texture, larger mag release, standard three mags.

I have a 19, a 22, and a 31. All Gen 4s, all run perfect.

Gen 3 or 4 Glock?

I have to agree as well. I have two gen4. They also have a different recoil spring. After buying one gen4, I sold my gen 3 to get another. The fit of the gen 4 is so much more comfortable.
    .XX likes this.

Apart from the few cosmetic and ergonomic changes the gen 4's introduced there is not much difference between the gen3 and gen4 Glock subcompacts. The main difference between the full size and compact sizes were that Glock switched from a two piece recoil spring to a dual recoil spring. However, the gen 3 Glock subcompacts already had dual recoil springs.

I have a gen 4 Glock 19 that I am now happy with. I bought one that would throw brass in my face. Sent it back to Glock and they replaced the extractor and the gun shoots great now without any issues.

Good info, guys, thanks! Sounds like the extra money might be worth it for the extra mag alone so I don't have to go track more down.
    ”One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret."
    ~Breda

Quote Originally Posted by DJC7 View Post
    Good info, guys, thanks! Sounds like the extra money might be worth it for the extra mag alone so I don't have to go track more down.

I have a Gen4 G19. I love the way it feels in my hand (I test fired a Gen3, and prefer the 4).
    But, you are right. The extra mag alone makes up for the price, if nothing else, to save the time & frustration of finding one.

Gen 4

I vote Gen 4 also, the extra mag and the backstraps are worth it. They did have some issues at first with the recoil springs, but that has been addressed.

Quote Originally Posted by DJC7 View Post
    How does that make sense lol. You pay extra but get a 3rd mag so it's not like its free. I have a gen 4 g19 but a gen 3 g26. I went gen 3 because grip texture on gen 4 was too rough for edc. And I ended up getting rubberized talon grips anyway.
    Glock 20sf, Sig P938

either will serve its purpose well

To me, the only reason to get a Gen 3 (when a Gen 4 of the same model is available) is if you live in a place like California where only the Gen 3 models are on the approved handgun list. Otherwise, it's worth the $50 or so more you will pay for a Gen 4. I have two Gen 4's (G22 and G27) and both are completely reliable. The larger mag release alone is worth the extra money, but the changeable backstraps, more aggressive grip, and even the double springs that tame recoil slightly are all just a bonus.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RubenZ View Post
    How does that make sense lol. You pay extra but get a 3rd mag so it's not like its free. I have a gen 4 g19 but a gen 3 g26. I went gen 3 because grip texture on gen 4 was too rough for edc. And I ended up getting rubberized talon grips anyway.
    Ever seen the price and availability of Glock mags lately?
    DJC7 likes this.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    Every seen the price and availability of Glock mags lately?
    True
    Glock 20sf, Sig P938

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    I know everyone is trying to steer you to the Gen4 which I am sure is a wonderful pistol. I have a gen3 27 and love it. You made the statement you liked the way the Gen3 felt. I would pick the one that is most comfortable to you. The Gen 3 and 4 are both excellent weapons.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links