Need some advice for a 9mm.

This is a discussion on Need some advice for a 9mm. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Did I mention Steyr :)Steyr :)Steyr :)Steyr :)Steyr :)Steyr :)Steyr :)Steyr :)Steyr :)Steyr :)Steyr :)Steyr :)Steyr :)Steyr :)Steyr :)Steyr :)Steyr :)Steyr :)Steyr :)Steyr :)Steyr :)Steyr ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need some advice for a 9mm.

Did I mention Steyr :)Steyr :)Steyr :)Steyr :)Steyr :)Steyr :)Steyr :)Steyr :)Steyr :)Steyr :)Steyr :)Steyr :)Steyr :)Steyr :)Steyr :)Steyr :)Steyr :)Steyr :)Steyr :)Steyr :)Steyr :)Steyr :)Steyr :)Steyr :)Steyr :)Steyr :)Steyr :)Steyr :)Steyr :)Steyr :)Steyr :)Steyr :)Steyr :)Steyr :)Steyr :)Steyr :)Steyr :)Steyr :)Steyr :)Steyr :)Steyr :)Steyr :)Steyr :)Steyr :)Steyr :)Steyr :)Steyr
    Pax
    Tulsa, OK

2. Remove Ads

I like the looks of the Steyr, but can't find one anywhere. I would love to hold one. Are they being imported anymore? Difficult to get parts?

Thanks for the suggestion. I am keeping my mind open.

Kahr!...nice

Quote Originally Posted by walther1 View Post
    I like the looks of the Steyr, but can't find one anywhere. I would love to hold one. Are they being imported anymore? Difficult to get parts?

Thanks for the suggestion. I am keeping my mind open.
    Jump on steyrclub.com and I bet you find someone willing to let you hold one or even shoot it. The new A1 models are currently being sold in the US, and everything I've heard so far is that Steyr has really cleaned up their act on service and parts. It was touch and go there for a bit.
    Pax
    Tulsa, OK

The Steyr is really a nice handgun.
    very low bore axis, fast reset, short reach for the trigger.
    Since the bore axis is among the lowest the felt recoil is very light.
    There are no problems in life too large to be handled by the use of small arms and high explosives

In god we trust, all others are suspects

$10.00 transfers in Houston, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    +1 for the Kahr, the nearly perfect carry gun. The mag capacity is only 7, other than that it meets your criteria perfectly.

http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/review/kahrp9_2.htm
    Last edited by Warhawk; November 3rd, 2006 at 10:47 AM. Reason: add pic

Talked to the people at Springfield today. The EMP is available now with a, get this, suggested retail of 1250.00. Nice looking gun, I'd love to have one but a bit pricey

I knew they would be up there. Can't Springfield produce anything for the "working man"? I actually do like their guns but don't want to wrap that much up into one. You could have more than $1500 into one after taxes, grips, sites, clips, etc. Golly that sho' is 'spensive!

Thanks for the Steyr comments too! I was on Steyrclub and tried to see if someone would let me shoot their Steyr that was local. We will see and I will make decision soon. I like the CZ looks and i like the Steyr. Decisions, decisions, decisions.

As for Glock, (response to Simon) I like them, but an uncertain about owning one. i really like the Glock 26 but am not in love with it. The guns I own I love and those are ones I would bet my life on.
    Just curious: what is it about Glocks that keeps them off your list? One thing you did mention is your interest in "long term durability and everyday wear" and a Glock would do well in this area.

I was going to second the sig-239, but a quick glance at their website showed that the mag only holds 8rds of 9mm. I bought one in 40s&w for my wife and I liked it so much I'm going to buy anther one for me. Besides, I need more than one so they can mate and have babies. As for the CZ they make some great guns.

Sig P239. Had one with Hogue rubber grips in 9mm. Awesome gun. Probably one of my favorite guns of all time. Traded it for a deck (cousing built it for me for Sig). Wouldn't get another because it would set me back way more than $600 (grips, sites, mags, holster over $1000).

As for Glock, I just don't like the way they feel. There is no ergonomics to it. The grip is too big for me. Shot the G26 on Sunday afternoon. Put 50 rounds through it, but cheap plastic sites that were not too accurate (range rental gun though). I like the fact that everyone has a Glock, though, except me. That means parts, holsters, etc. are easy to find.

Held a CZ75B next to a Steyr tonight. I am torn.

I liked the Steyr a lot because it had some more safeties, metal trapezoidal sights, and seemed like it fit the hand really well. Steyr limited lifetime warranty. Steyr is a bit more difficult to find stuff for (holsters, clips, etc.) and is NOT stainless steel but tennifer. $530 price tag. More compact and lighter. Seemed like it was everything a Glock should be today. Looked indestructable.

The CZ was all SS, held more rounds (16), and you could outfit it with Hogue grips (like my old P239). CZ 5 year warranty. Easy to find stuff for it. A little bigger and heavier. $500 price. Seemed very indestructable for everyday wear, but wouldn't want to throw it in a bucket of mud and fire it afterwards.

I have to thank WorldPax for opening my mind to the Steyr product. Years ago I thought Steyr only built guns for millionaires and government agencies. I now know the "workin man" can afford it.

WorldPax

Can't Springfield produce anything for the "working man"? You could have more than $1500 into one ...
    You could also keep it to under $600. Springfield does have some inexpensive guns. Sure, the $800-1500 gun is the norm, but if interested in 1911's check out the GI .45 (in full size, champion). They sell for $500 all day long, from a variety of sources. Plus spare magazines, different sights if desired, etc.

The XD in 9mm w/ 4" barrel is also in the neighborhood of $500, plus extras.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I have to thank WorldPax for opening my mind to the Steyr product. Years ago I thought Steyr only built guns for millionaires and government agencies. I now know the "workin man" can afford it.

WorldPax
    No problem, always happy to turn others on to the cult of Steyr.
    Pax
    Tulsa, OK

Quote Originally Posted by simon View Post
    Walther 1..how bout a Taurus millenium pro pt 111 in stainless over comp. 12 round mag....way under 600.00...just thinkun...

kg
    My Dad purchased a PT111 (9mm) on Sunday. I purchased the PT145 (.45), Both with Stainless slide, and both are same size, the 9mm holds 12+1 rds vs. 10+1 in .45

He paid $319 OTD and I paid $329 OTD.
    02PSD4ME

Quote Originally Posted by Warhawk View Post
    +1 for the Kahr, the nearly perfect carry gun. The mag capacity is only 7, other than that it meets your criteria perfectly.

http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/review/kahrp9_2.htm
    Is the Kahr P-9 covert going to be made with black slide?

The SS slide doesn't seem prudent for concealed carry. Any thoughts?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links