Defensive Carry banner

Need some advice for a 9mm.

7K views 52 replies 36 participants last post by  Laserlips 
#1 ·
I am in the market for a new gun and am looking for a 9mm (yes it has to be 9mm) stainless steel compact gun. Would like all stainless but could have stainless slide and composite everywhere else.

I would like to have something similar in size to a Walther P99c (compact) or smaller. I would like it to hold 10 rounds of ammo (or in that neighborhood) and would like to spend no more than $600. What do you guys and girls think? Any suggestions?

Oh yeah, I like to buy new so I get warranties and all that stuff.

Thanks in advance for all your help! This forum is filled with great people and I am enjoying it immensely!

Walther1

#3 ·
Is this a stainless steel gun? I held one the other day at a store and liked it, but they only had the blued version. I want to mix it up a bit as I was looking around today and the only stainless gun I have is a revolver. I wouldn't mind having a new stainless gun.

Anyone know when the SA EMP will come out? Anyone know the price? Anyone know if the thing will even work?

Thanks.

#6 ·
I don't shoot a 9mm, but if you want a stainless steel compact gun, I would look into ParaOrdnance. I have one in .45. Another one to look at would be Kahr arms. They have some nice compact pistols in stainless and 9mm also. Good huntin' !

#16 · (Edited)
I am interested in stainless for long term durability and everyday wear. I have a few stainless guns now (only one that I regularly use .357 revolver Taurus) and they seem to be wearing better than my others (in and out of holsters, near body, also moving to Florida beach soon!)

Plus the last few guns I bought were blued (tennifer, etc.) and it is time to catch my collection up with a stainless version.:biggrin2:

#12 ·
Light...Small...

not liked by all...
I like my Beretta 9000S in 9mm...
Great little gun...
SA or DA
Decocker
Carry 'cocked and locked'
Never had a problem with mine...

ret:urla9ub:

#23 ·
not liked by all...
I like my Beretta 9000S in 9mm...
Great little gun...
SA or DA
Decocker
Carry 'cocked and locked'
Never had a problem with mine...

ret:urla9ub:
For what it's worth, I love my 9000 as well. It is a great gun for carrying. But it is not stainless, so it doesn't fit the OP 's needs.

#15 ·
If you want a Walther, buy a Walther

The poster's name is Walther 1 and he said he wanted a Walther P99c in 9mm, only with a stainless slide. He seemed to reject the alternative of a S&W M&P compact, which has a blackened stainless slide, so I presume that he wants the light color of stainless more than the metallic properties of stainless.

I think the obvious solution is for him to buy a Walther P99c and have the slide hardchromed, which will cost about $100. Hardchrome has an appearance almost identical to stainless, and very good physical properties as well. You can simply send your slide by itself to vendors like Tripp Research in Texas and they will do the plating work and send the slide back. I have two Glocks with hardchromed slides and they are easily mistaken for stainless. Here is one of them in a holster:

#19 ·
The EMP is now available but, only in limited qauntities for the near future and with a price around $1000.00 I have not read or heard anything about its reliability and functioning yet. I know you said you want stainless but, Beretta will be releasing their new PX4 compact soon and it looks awesome. Check it out at Berettaweb.com
I'm going to pick one of those up as soon as I can.

#21 ·
got yourself $600.00 to spend. then i would get a kel-tec p11 and with the rest of the money i would buy lots of 9mm ammo, a good holster, and the kel-tec belt clip. or,,, you could get a glock 26 and/or 19 (but you will not have money to but ammo and holster). now i known that both gun are not stainless, but if you wipe the gun down once a week you will not have any problems.

#22 ·
I went to the store today and looked at many different handguns. I liked the Warthog from Para ordnance. I also like the Taurus MIllenium Pro. I guess what I am looking for is something I like but do no love. I really liked the CZ 75 (only held blued version not compact) but am unfamiliar with the company. I am a little hesitant on buying something like CZ with not much familiarity.

As for Glock, (response to Simon) I like them, but an uncertain about owning one. i really like the Glock 26 but am not in love with it. The guns I own I love and those are ones I would bet my life on.

Thanks for everyone's comments. It is great that you guys are getting me to think. I would have never considered Para or CZ, but now I am thinking.

#24 ·
I went to the store today and looked at many different handguns. I liked the Warthog from Para ordnance. I also like the Taurus MIllenium Pro. I guess what I am looking for is something I like but do no love. I really liked the CZ 75 (only held blued version not compact) but am unfamiliar with the company. I am a little hesitant on buying something like CZ with not much familiarity...

...I would have never considered Para or CZ, but now I am thinking.
You should have no qualms about CZ. They are great quality guns and, with no polymer base, you're probably less likely to get a FTF error with them than with Glock or some of the other polymers.

#28 ·
Springfield mini 9mmP 1911.

Have you considered the new 9mmP Springfield mini 1911? It is written up in Shooting Times this month. It is more than a bit pricy, but it looks pretty good if you like the 1911 type of pistol.

Fitch

#29 ·
Heard the Springfield 1911 9mm was over $1000! :blink:

That is starting to get serious! I liked that gun a lot though. I am really leaning on getting a CZ 75 B stainless.

I know the CZ75B stainless is full size (kinda wanted a compact gun) but I am sure I will be able to find a way to hide it. I just have to start thinking (IWB, belly band, etc.).

Thanks again for all the comments.

#30 ·
First auto I bought is a CZ-75 Compact 9mm. I like the Gun. I've fired about 500 rounds with no FTF.

It would have been nice to shoot some other guns though. There is a range in town where I could have rented some and checked them out. After reading more about Glocks, I'm wanting one of those too.

CZ is a good gun, but if you have a range you can rent a gun at you might want to shoot the Glock and some others.

#31 ·
Did I mention Steyr :)Steyr :)Steyr :)Steyr :)Steyr :)Steyr :)Steyr :)Steyr :)Steyr :)Steyr :)Steyr :)Steyr :)Steyr :)Steyr :)Steyr :)Steyr :)Steyr :)Steyr :)Steyr :)Steyr :)Steyr :)Steyr :)Steyr :)Steyr :)Steyr :)Steyr :)Steyr :)Steyr :)Steyr :)Steyr :)Steyr :)Steyr :)Steyr :)Steyr :)Steyr :)Steyr :)Steyr :)Steyr :)Steyr :)Steyr :)Steyr :)Steyr :)Steyr :)Steyr :)Steyr :)Steyr :)Steyr

#32 ·
I like the looks of the Steyr, but can't find one anywhere. I would love to hold one. Are they being imported anymore? Difficult to get parts?

Thanks for the suggestion. I am keeping my mind open.

#34 ·
Jump on steyrclub.com and I bet you find someone willing to let you hold one or even shoot it. The new A1 models are currently being sold in the US, and everything I've heard so far is that Steyr has really cleaned up their act on service and parts. It was touch and go there for a bit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.