Which .45acp to get?

This is a discussion on Which .45acp to get? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I do my best to keep my money in America so I Buy AMERICAN...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Which .45acp to get?

I do my best to keep my money in America so I Buy AMERICAN
    DaveInEdmonds and goldmaster like this.
    I love my Country but I fear my Government

2. Remove Ads

"The latest Handguns magazine gave the Springfield XDs .45 a very glowing review when directly compared to 3 other .45s..."

IMO, for concealability, the XDs is hard to beat. A couple friends have them and are completely satisfied. I'll have one when things get back to normal; if I live that long!!!

The Glock 30 is a fine pistol.

I would also look at the HK45c or the HK USPc .45 if looking for a compact or the full size HK45 or USP .45

that's a tough one both are really good guns

...first .45...I'm recommending the Ruger P90 or P97...priced used at around $400...reliable as the sunrise and easy to master...the P97 carries a bit easier...but either is fine...then, after you've enjoyed the caliber and carrying it...my second one would be a 1911...at at least twice the price, even if the prices get real again...

Which .45acp to get?

In my eyes there are only 2 uses for a handgun. You should either be using it for concealed carry or home protection/SHTF scenarios outside the home where you want more capacity. I will never understand why someone would buy a gun solely for range use. You go to the range to get better with your defense guns. You might be able to make a case for buying a gun for competitive use (IDPA, USPSA, etc.) but in my mind guns are made for defensive/offensive use so any competitions should be pointing you towards furthering that use. Having a 60 oz. gun is impractical for both offensive and defensive use. But I digress. A .45 is an awesome caliber for defensive purposes but I would have to ask what you plan to use it for. Concealed carry? Home defense?

Concealed carry (I don't believe in manual safeties on CC guns because fractions of seconds count when you're on the back heal and you're more likely to forget to flick off your safety.)
    Glock 30, 30s, 36
    Smith and Wesson M&P45 Compact
    Kahr CW45, CM45

Home defense (I can go either way on manual safeties for this use but it should be consistent with your other guns so you're not taking precious second to figure out if you're ready to let your gun do the talking. So naturally you can infer my leaning on this considering what I wrote above. That said, high capacity is the most differentiating factor here from a concealed carry gun.)
    Glock 21
    Smith and Wesson M&P45
    HK USP 45
    Sig 227
    FNP45
    Para Ordinance 14-45
    STI 2011 Series

You might notice that I left out all Springfields here. I have had terrible luck with Springfields. I've had 5 repeatedly malfunction while I was shooting them and seen a dozen or so at the range with consistent issues. In my mind they're in the same boat as Taurus and Keltec. Ill never own any of them because I don't trust them to save me if need be. If it were me I'd go with the M&P45 Compact because you can carry the 8 rnd mag for concealed carry and put the full size 10 rnd mag in at night for home defense and throw on an X-Grip spacer if desired. Same goes for the G30 but they're a chunk of a gun to conceal though not by any means impossible to conceal. You also get more capacity for each application with the G30 system.

God Bless

Senior Member Array Kimberpackn's Avatar
    Looks like I may not be anymore help than the rest of the group but.....I prefer my Kimber Ultra Covert II 1911, I just purchased a G30. On the G30 I will say that if it shoots as well as my wife's G27 (40 cal) then I will be well pleased. I like the feel of the SA XDs 45 ACP. I have had a Khar in 45 ACP but found it was not well suited for all brands of 45 ACP rounds. Go out there and get your hands on as many 45 ACP platforms as you can, narrow down to your top 3 or 4 and make your choice for what fits you. All of the pistols mentioned here are excellent weapon systems. Good luck and enjoy whatever you choose.
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

Patrick Henry

Distinguished Member Array old grunt's Avatar
    The 1911 is for those who want to invest the time to carry a pistol with a different set-up(external hammer,thumb safety etc)and operating mind-set. I love my 1911's, but have had them since the flood.I'm comfortable with them. On the other hand, if you like a simpler pistol to operate look at the Glocks and the M&P 45ACP offerings.
    DaveInEdmonds likes this.
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

HK 45c. Hands down the best combination of soft-shooting, accuracy and reliability in .45.
    "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." ~ P. J. O'Rourke

Which .45acp to get?

I like the M&P line. Reliable, good capacity and American made. Sorry I had to through the last one in there for the Glock and XD fanboys, lol. But all joking aside Glock and Springfield have great guns and reputations. I just prefer S&W because I feel they offer the best option for ME? The grip angle is perfect, changeable back straps, grip is more comfortable in MY palm, and I you can have a thumb safety if so desired. Another reason I don't as much care for XD is the grip safety, some like it, I don't. Your mileage may vary. Just my opinion, take it for what it's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post
    Hard to go wrong with Glock. On the other hand, I really like my RIA 1911 too.
    for a first .45 this seems to make the most since.
    " A free people ought not only to be armed & disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms & ammo to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them including their own government"
    George Washington

Hickok 45 has a nice video comparing the Glock 30 and XD 45.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61mgZT5gNBI

Goose
    "These days I go down to Wal-Mart and they sell 'em in the back.
    Some people wanna take 'em away, why don't you go bust them boys that's sellin' crack.
    Guns, whether Remingtons 'er Glocks.
    Come on man it ain't like I'm a slingin' 'em on the block." - Justin Moore

You didn't say how much you were willing to spend on this new 45acp pistol...... Also, do you have a preference on the type of action for this new pistol? If you are looking to carry the 45, there are many options that are only limited by your budget. I own several 45acp pistols including 1911's, Glocks and Sigs and have shot many others. For the money I don't think you can beat the Glock 30 and 30sf. If you have small to medium hands I'd steer you clear of the 30 and recommend that you rent at your local range the 30sf (short frame) since it has a smaller stock more ergonomic with those folks having smaller hands. You really can't go wrong with the Glock.....it has a capacity of 10+1, is light for a 45 pistol at 26.5oz unloaded with the mag and conceals very well. I have over 3,000 rounds through mine with only a couple of failures during the first couple of mags. If you're not familiar with Glocks, they are VERY easy to field strip and maintain and they are renowned for their reliability. I carry mine all the time and it makes a great home defense weapon also. The only upgrade I'd recommend would be to add night sights.

I like the Smith & Wesson M&P45C but don't like it's two piece trigger. Some have reported that many stock pistols have a crappy trigger. Sigs (P220) are nice to, but most are double action/single action and require some training to master that type of action. My recommendation is to make a short list of 45's you are interested in and just go to a range and rent them. I'm sure by the end of your range session you will have a clear favorite.... Good Luck!!
    ironmike86 likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    If you're considering the Glock 30, also check out the G30SF (slightly shorter in grip-to-trigger length) and the new G30S (based on the G30 with a G36 slightly thinner slide) or even the G36 if you don't mind a few less rounds. I like my G30, slap a G21 mag in it for home duty, but it is on the heavier side. All good Glocks with ever so sligth differences to consider.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Which .45acp to get?

Hk45c, it's rather expensive but it'll last forever.
    bombthrower77 likes this.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links