Which .45acp to get? - Page 4

Which .45acp to get?

This is a discussion on Which .45acp to get? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a full-sized 1911, a compact 1911, and a very nice USP-C compact .45. I love them all. The only one I've never carried ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Which .45acp to get?

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    I have a full-sized 1911, a compact 1911, and a very nice USP-C compact .45. I love them all. The only one I've never carried is the full-sized 1911.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

I say any name brand 45 ACP gun you can find/afford. With this panic buying frenzy good luck find any reputable 45 to buy.

MJK
    If you are going to potentially employ this weapon in defense of your life you want a platform which is highly reliable and proven in the field. A Glock G30 meets these criteria.
    [T]he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people. ---Tenche Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.

Sold my XD. Bought wife Kimber ultra Agies 9mm and got myself a Kimber Pro Carry with night sights!! we both love them, not cheap but worth it to me.
    USM1976 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    Lots of opinions. I carry a Taurus PT145 and am happy with it. Mostly posting to see what you decide to buy.
    For God, Family and Country!

A lot of good ones out there. But 1911 is the way to go I think. My first one, I bought a year ago is a Springfield Armory Trophy Match. I love it.

Opinions, opinions... here's mine.

For a carry .45 I believe the two best are the G30 (or G30SF) and the M&P45C. I have both. The M&P grip is very sculpted to the hand, which feels good - at first. But for me, it's like a bar of wet soap when I shoot it. It really needs additional texturing/stipling to secure it better in the hand. The blocky, squarish G30 grip, however, just locks beautifully into my hand and doesn't squirm around at all. I like it very much.

I'm very happy with them both, the M&P45C and the G30, but give the nod to the G30. 10+1 rounds of .45 in a very soft shooting, accurate, reliable platform that is simple to operate and maintain and has a huge aftermarket support system. The G30 is a bit chunky for those with smaller hands, but if your hand has enough size to handle it, it's a fantastic gun! I find it very comfortable and easy to carry and conceal... even with a loose fitting, medium to heavy weight t-shirt.

And for around the house, what's not to love about the G21SF. If your hand size can handle a G30, then it can handle the G21SF. 13+1 rounds capacity, very soft shooting, accurate, reliable, and all the other wonderful Glock attributes. I would carry the G21SF except that it's length makes sitting down with it just a little bit uncomfortable. So the G30 is the ticket for me.

My G21SF and G30, two of the many pistols I have, are most valued for their great utility and performance, and are among the last pistols I would ever want to part with.

All that said, I do like the M&P45 and 45C and I most certainly love my 1911's. It's difficult not to appreciate these various guns, chambered in this wonderful caliber.
    The clowns in government office see the solution to everything is write more laws, creating the ever-mounting morass of legal handicaps that we citizens must labor under.

STATE'S RIGHTS RULE and should be INVIOLATE. Feds butt out!

I'm an old fart. I like the .45 ACP round a lot. For me, it needs to be run through a 1911 platform. That SA trigger is tough to beat. People complain about the manual of arms with the 1911. Just practice with it and get used to it. Like any other firearm, it becomes second nature. Colts are great.
    USM1976 likes this.
    NRA Life Member

Find a model which fits your hand, and you'll have a handgun which shoots very good for you. Without getting into the caliber arguement, I still believe the .45 caliber is the best defense round available.
    Snub44 likes this.

I started with a 1911, then the little Kahr CW45, and just got a Ruger SR45.

Love'em all.

Guns106_zps4cd862fa.jpg
    It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly native American criminal class except Congress.
    - Pudd'nhead Wilson's New Calendar (Mark Twain)

Glock 30 is excellent, XD 45 compact is also excellent. How much did you want to spend that will narrow it down some.

Duty weapon is a g21, I also have a Ruger P345(8+1) that I love.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

What about the Glock 30 S?

I myself like my Ruger P90, but that's just me. I also like the Glock 30 and the XD45

Regardless which gun you choose. Congrats on Giving 45acp a try. While I shoot and count on other pistol calibers... my favorite is the one that came with good old slabsides (1911).

I've had a lot of different 45 bullet launchers, Glock 36,30, SIG 220, HK, Colts, Kahr P45, Kimbers, Detonics, SW, Norinco to name a few...
    I'm an older guy and a 1911 has been on my hip more than any gun of the few hundred I've owned over the years.
    I will say I never met a Kimber that didn't fail in one way or another... well nearly so. I'm not trying to make anyone mad, I hope your's works fine.. it's just that my experience with the "Brand" was sub Par. Gen1 or Gen2. I wanted to like them Really did.. just couldnt' trust a Kimber.. and never will again. waste of time and money.

MY take on the following. Just one mans opinion worth what you paid for it.

HK USP 45. Excellent reliable accurate large for CCW but nearly perfect could use a better trigger and that can be done. The full size shoots like a 9mm in recoil and is laser accurate. I think HK build the finest production gun on the market today. They are worth the extra money you pay to get them.. The HK USP 45 compact is about the same size as a G19 OAL. So it's the better choice for carry over the full size. The newer HK 45 and 45C are good options as well.. newer more rounded with updated features I still like the USP mostly because it can be carried Cocked and Locked.

SIG 220, Thin like a 1911 but in Double action/Single Action needs to be learned transitioning from one to the other. Super reliable and shoots any ammo. Decocker needs to be remembered and its a true point and pull manual of arms. 2nd in quality to the HK.. or near-so...

1911, Needs to be trained with to remember to use the thumbsafety. The 1911 doesn't respect poor handling but learn it well and it is one of the finest platforms ever. Needs more maintance than the others can be finiky with ammo. It's still my preferred 45. I like a hammer fired gun and thumb safety and it's thin and easy to carry.. ONLY get a 5" gun.. in steel. All my smaller guns had issues.. Not so in a 5" gun the way it was meant to be. Ok my Colt Commander never failed either.. but the 5" gun balances better and is so soft shooting and easy to control. Fast handling and stays on target.

GLOCK 36 and 30. I've had both and would say the 30 is so much easier to shoot well. A bit harder to conceal than the 36. The 36 I've had 3 of them and 2 worked perfectly one did not. The 30 I had a SF model was soft shooting reliable and prob the most accurate GLOCK I've ever shot. As accurate as any 1911 I've owned. You just can't go wrong with a GLOCK 30.. for the money and simplicity its as good as any gun out there. The 36 is thinner and easier to conceal. Controlling it takes more effort. Some G36's have had issues. seems that Glock has that issue fixed mine was related to mags.. A while ago when I got my G36 It was so good I got rid of all but one 1911.. it was that good to me.. The 30 is even better.

Long winded hope that helps you out..
    Try a bunch of em out first if you can..
    Good luck in your search hope you get what you need and want...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links