Which .45acp to get?

This is a discussion on Which .45acp to get? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm going to be investing in a new .45acp soon. I've never owned one before, but have shot a few. I can't remember which one ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Which .45acp to get?

Which .45acp to get?

I'm going to be investing in a new .45acp soon. I've never owned one before, but have shot a few. I can't remember which one I liked best so I'll be going back to the range soon to rent them and figure out fit and feel for myself. Until then, I'm just trying to get some opinions on a few of the different compact .45s. The main two that have caught my eye would be the Glock 30, and the XD 45 compact. I've also been checking out the M&P. If you could just give me you guys opinions on these, as well as the pros and cons of each, that would be much appreciated.

I'm also up to other suggestions.

Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

In my mind, there is only one option for .45: 1911.

Check out the M&P45c and the Glock 30S, ignore the 1911 fanboys...there are plenty of other guns that fire the .45ACP just as well.
    Alex_C, ValterP99 and sensei2 like this.

Hard to go wrong with Glock. On the other hand, I really like my RIA 1911 too.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Which .45acp to get?

You could also check out the new Ruger SR45.
    It is a 10 + 1 and comes in a reliable package starting around $450 or so, depending on location.
    It's based off of the SR Series of pistols that have already established a solid track record.
    Aceoky and Armybrat like this.

VIP Member
    1911, Sip P220, Glock 21- 30- 36, CZ 97 (if you could actually find one), many, many more.

My personal preference is for the P220 and the Glock 36.
    multistage likes this.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Whatever feels best and shoots best for you! I personally prefer 1911 platform and carry DW CCO daily but had a Glock30sf that shot well also......I've since replaced all my Glocks with M&Ps as I shoot them better! Half the fun of buying a new pistol is doing the research and trying several different ones! Good Luck with your search.....
    CharlesMorri likes this.
    Proverbs 3:5-6
    "Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to Him, and He will make your paths straight."

If it ain't 1911, it ain't a true .45

The latest Handguns magazine gave the Springfield XDs .45 a very glowing review when directly compared to 3 other .45s...

I certainly wouldn't mind owning one, but I think I'll probably stick with the Ruger SR45, once my local gun shop gets one in.
    Ace
    Gotta Fly or Gonna Die

VIP Member
    My first choice would be a Dan Wesson 1911, smaller lighter option would be the Kahr CW45.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ksgunner View Post
    If it ain't 1911, it ain't a true .45
    If it ain't a Corvette, it ain't a true car :)
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms..."
    --Richard Henry Lee, 1788

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

One thing that I have come to appreciate in my years of concealed carry (fast approaching 40) is that I do not want to have to disengage a thumb safety on my EDC. I have several very nice 1911's and shoot them well. They are different and require practice to perfect, not unlike any other arms you carry. However the Glocks and M&Ps lend much more to the point and shoot technique that is necessary in a self defense situation.
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms..."
    --Richard Henry Lee, 1788

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

Kahr pm45 second smallest auto 45 ever made and AMT backup the smallest auto 45 love both have both springfield xds 45 pretty much the same size as kahr if size matters and a friend really likes his.

Depends on what your requirements and criteria are.

I've shot several different ones and have my own opinions about what does/doesn't work for me. Much depends on ergonomics, for what feels good/right. If carrying, I'd want 100% rock-solid reliability as the first criterion.

SIG 220 -- First .45 I shot much. Nice gun.
    HK 45, HK 45 Compact -- Great ergonomics, for me, though large.
    HK USP, HK USP Compact -- A great platform.

Had/sold a STI Shadow .45. Took it through its paces before determining the 1911 platform wasn't my thing. Sold it, though I would highly recommend the STI 1911 products. Have shot several over the years and have been impressed.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Do not over look the FNX45. It is a very nice weapon and just as accurate as any .45's out there.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links