Pocket 9mm for a southpaw - Page 2

Pocket 9mm for a southpaw

This is a discussion on Pocket 9mm for a southpaw within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by wondering One thing to research is that according to what I read on another post...some Kahr's require loading by using the slide-release ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Pocket 9mm for a southpaw

Quote Originally Posted by wondering View Post
    One thing to research is that according to what I read on another post...some Kahr's require loading by using the slide-release (not slingshotting). I'm not familiar with Kahr's but I read that here somewhere so that's something to consider.
    I've read this quite a bit, especially on KahrTalk. In the Kahr manual itself, it specifically says "... push down on the slide stop to chamber the first round into the barrel. Do not chamber a round by pulling back on the slide and letting go of the slide. This may cause the slide to not go fully into battery." From the first time I shot my CW9 I always used the slide stop to chamber the first round. I recently acquired a Sig that I find impossible to use the slide stop method with my left hand without seriously altering my grip. I have begun using the sling shot method because of this and it has carried over to my other pistols. I don't have enough time using this method with my Kahr to come to any concrete conclusions, but I have yet to have an issue with several mags of fmj and a few of hp's.

Pocket 9mm for a southpaw

Quote Originally Posted by Dooger View Post
    Kahr PM9 or CM9
    X2

I carry the cm9,great gun
    sensei2 likes this.

Being a lefty sure is tough in this world! you have stumbled upon the dilema that has haunted me for years! I will suggest 2 options. (1) if you are set on pocket carry, how bout a revolver, charter arms makes the .38 southpaw which is a total lefty gun, even the s&w bg .38 has a ambi cylinder release. (2) a little 2 big for pocket carry but.... the S&W mp9c, i have the 40c carry IWB daily in a kholster holster at 8-830 it flat disappears. both 9&40 have interchangeable back straps to fit your hand,ambi slide release and you can switch the mag release to whichever side you like.

Quote Originally Posted by ActAppalled View Post
    I've read this quite a bit, especially on KahrTalk. In the Kahr manual itself, it specifically says "... push down on the slide stop to chamber the first round into the barrel. Do not chamber a round by pulling back on the slide and letting go of the slide. This may cause the slide to not go fully into battery." From the first time I shot my CW9 I always used the slide stop to chamber the first round. I recently acquired a Sig that I find impossible to use the slide stop method with my left hand without seriously altering my grip. I have begun using the sling shot method because of this and it has carried over to my other pistols. I don't have enough time using this method with my Kahr to come to any concrete conclusions, but I have yet to have an issue with several mags of fmj and a few of hp's.
    I don't use the slide stop to chamber the first round in my Kahr. I always slingshot it.
    Glock 23 - CZ 452 ZKM Special - Walther P22
    LMT STD 16 - Mossberg 500A - Kahr P380
    Henry H001Y - Winchester 12
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield - Mossberg 500B
    Marlin 336Y - Kahr MK9

Quote Originally Posted by Cokeman View Post
    I don't use the slide stop to chamber the first round in my Kahr. I always slingshot it.

me too. i've had no problems cycling my Kahr CM-9 this way. i prefer to 'slingshot' because it gives the slide another 1/8" of travel to BETTER ensure the slide's going into battery (IMO), and because it is a universal technique. not every semi-auto HAS a slide stop/release lever (see Beretta Nano and Walther PPK/s among others), and because slide stop levers are not always in the same place on different guns.

Here is the thread that I first read about the Kahr sligshot vs. slide release issue (I hope this links correctly)

My ONE complaint with the Kahr CW9 - Why it won't be my new EDC

It was mentioned in that thread that some people have been able to slingshot a round effectively while others have to rely on the slide release. I'm not downplaying Kahr on this, but for a lefty it is something to consider. You don't want to be stuck having to adjust your grip to manipulate a slide release in the heat of the moment.

Walther PPS, once you get used to the mag release (and honestly, it is not hard to do so) it's fully ambidextrous. It's a slim singlestack 9mm, though a bit large for pocket carry. It would do the trick, though, and is a fantastic shooter.

Edit: Forgot about the slide lock, it's on the left side of the firearm, so maybe not the best pick. I've always just pulled the slide back after inserting a fresh mag though, so I don't know if it would actually be a problem or not for you.

Good luck on your search!

Not a pocket gun, but Walther PPS sounds like it would fit the bill
    EDC: M&P 9*2
    PHIL.4:13

NRA

I would proceed with extreme caution with the Kahr line if you are a lefty. Some individual pistols will chamber just fine using the slingshot or overhand method - and others will nose-down jam just about every time unless you use the slide release lever. One option would be the use of PowRBall ammo, which should chamber properly regardless. Only issue is that it is light for caliber - 100 gr in 9mm.

ETA - Another option to consider is the carrying of a BUG, for a "NY reload." By doing this, you can carry whatever primary you want, and you don't have to worry as much about the placement of the controls. If you ever run your primary dry, you simply drop it and go to your BUG.

I dual pocket carry every day (other than while on duty). LCR plus a LCP. Put your wallet in a rear pocket, keys on a carabiner, and cell phone on your belt. Easy.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Lefty here and first timer here also. I own the Walther PPS, S/W Shield and a S/W 442 snubbie. All are great CCW options. The Walther PPS is one of the easier 9mm's for me to conceal and I like the under trigger guard mag release. I used to shoot a FS HK USP 45 with the same mag release set up and it's easy to get used to. The Shield I purchased because I found one and I got a good deal on it. It's a NICE shooter, but not to lefty friendly. I will have to practice a bit to get used to the safety and mag release on the left side. The S/W 442 is a snubby 38spl, so need for a big reivew on that, that gun is as simple as it gets. The one poster who recommended the HK, that is an awesome choice as HK make fine weapons. They are pricey so be ready for that. Now that Springfield is coming out with an XDS 9mm
    which I believe should be available in a few months, that is a real lefty friendly ccw choice. The XDS 45 has been out for awhile is you want
    to move up to 45acp. I don't know much about the Kahr's as I've never shot one, but have a cop friend of mine who really likes them, but says they are a pain to breakdown for cleaning. Good luck, I plan on getting an XDS 9mm when available.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links