Pocket 9mm for a southpaw

This is a discussion on Pocket 9mm for a southpaw within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi all new member here but I have been lurking for a little while. Right now its pretty impossible to lay hands on any compact ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Pocket 9mm for a southpaw

Hi all new member here but I have been lurking for a little while.

Right now its pretty impossible to lay hands on any compact guns around here but I have touched a couple guns including the S&W shield and a Nano. I actually like the feel of the Nano but I am concerned about reliability. I went to my local range that rents guns and asked to shoot their Nano and they told me it was in the shop because it was broken. He then went on to say all of their Berettas break pretty often. Added to that comment, is the 1-3 year warranty compared to many other guns that are lifetime.

The shield was ok as well and I can live with not having a lefty slide release but I really want to be able to hit the mag release easily shooting left handed if I can at all.

Now I realize that any gun like this I purchase is not going to be shot like a range gun does but still. Is there any other options in the same price range that I should try to find to lay hands on or should I just drop the cash on the Beretta and hope for the best?

I see a lot of talk about Kahrs but I am not familiar with the brand.

Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

I am also a lefty and I carry a Kahr CW9. I have always trained using my pointer finger for both the slide and mag release. The Kahr has controls that are easy to operate in this manner. The CW9 is not what I would consider a pocket gun, but it is roughly the same size as the Shield and Nano. I looked at all three of the guns that you mentioned when i bought it and I didn't care for the safety on the Shield, especially being a lefty. The Nano I just didn't care for in general. By the way, I'm not sure what you mean about these guns not being range guns. I try to shoot at least a box through my CW9 every week, and I regularly shoot 100 or more at a time. All problem free by the way. As I said its my carry gun and if I'm going to be proficient with anything, that would be the logical choice.

I meant more like a range rental gun that I would assume get a done more shells ran through it than I would ever be able to do. It says on my local range website they have the CW9 so maybe I can get my hands on one there at least.

Thanks!

I am a lefty and own a shield and a nano. I much prefer the nano . It's built like a tank but very light. I don't care for the shields safety, if that safety ever gets engaged by accident, I am screwed. Nothing on the side of the nano. just pull the trigger. You can change the magazine release to right side for left hand use. By the way the nano shoots better than my shield does. I have no problems with my nano, I love it, and it's smaller than the shield.

Another possibility is the Keltec PF9. I have one and a P32. I don't have any problem with the mag release. It just takes practice. Same thing with my Glock19, (definitely not a pocket gun, at least for me.) It's a gen 3 so the mag release can't be changed. No problem, just more practice.
    Notice a theme here? No external safety.
    You could also consider a small revolver. Not a nine, but...
    Yeah, I'm a lefty too, (but definitely not politically)
    "The time is now near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be freemen or slaves."
    ------------------------------------ George Washington 1776
    Gun free zones
    are safe havens-
    FOR CRIMINALS

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    It's not exactly a pocket 9mm, but the Heckler & Koch P2000sk has an ambidextrous mag release and a dual slide release levers. This is probably the most "lefty friendly" pistol out there and it is a tank of a handgun.

Other options are the Walther P99 Compact which also has ambidextrous magazine and slide release or the Walther PPS which has ambidextrous mag release.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Another lefty here. My pocket gun is a Kahr PM9. I have been very pleased with it but have considered replacing it with a Walther PPS, which I have shot and I think is just fantastic

I'm a lefty and carry my Kahr PM9, 90% of the time.
    "I'm the God-fearing, Gun-toting, flag waving conservative they warned you about!"
    US Air Force Vietnam Vet, Ex-LEO
    Dan Wesson CBOB .45
    CZ 75D Compact PCR
    Kahr PM9, and a few others.....

I can't really speak to a good lefty-friendly pocket-sized pistol, but from my research, I think that of all the typical controls on a pistol, a ambi-safety is the most critical to have for a lefty if you are going to have a safety at all.

I've been able to manipulate a mag-release and when necessary a slide release with my left hand, though I train to slingshot all pistols.

One thing to research is that according to what I read on another post...some Kahr's require loading by using the slide-release (not slingshotting). I'm not familiar with Kahr's but I read that here somewhere so that's something to consider.

Good ambi-pistols that I can think of are the Walther PPS, Bersa, and Glocks...but I can't say they are pocket-sized.

No complaints about the Nano from me... I carry it and shoot it often, no failures, easy to conceal. I personally wouldnt trade it for any other option.

The Walther PPS has a safety about as ambidextrous as it can get, although it is a bit unconventional(its the underneath of the trigger guard). It's also one of the most accurate small nines out there.

Beretta Nano or SIG P938 Extreme. Have both and like them both. Nano has nothing to snag on your pocket during the draw.
    Member: GeorgiaCarry.Org

I cannot speak to the long term reliability of the Nano, as I just bought mine. But it is a very nice gun.

With no slide release, safety and a reversible mag release button, it would make a nice 9mm compact for a "south paw".

Welcome from the Gulf Coast.
    "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

Flight Surgeon, USAF
    Law Enforcement Tactical Surgeon

NRA Patron Member

Kahr PM9 or CM9

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links