How things have changed on the past 20 years - Page 2

How things have changed on the past 20 years

This is a discussion on How things have changed on the past 20 years within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What Happened in 1993 inc. Pop Culture, Prices and Events November 1993 Moynihan to introduce plan to tax some ammunition 'out of existence' http://articles.baltimoresun.com/199...-health-reform...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: How things have changed on the past 20 years

What Happened in 1993 inc. Pop Culture, Prices and Events

November 1993
    Moynihan to introduce plan to tax some ammunition 'out of existence'
    http://articles.baltimoresun.com/199...-health-reform
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Consumer acceptance of molded plastic as a material suitable for firearms construction, along with the acceptance of the double-action-only trigger, are two major changes that have been observed over the past 20-25 years and valid features these are.

I'm grateful I don't have to own and use such handguns.
    Eric357 and gasmitty like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by joshw0000 View Post
    In 1967, my mom was 2.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2
    In 1967 I was getting shot at by the VC..

Quote Originally Posted by chuckusaret View Post
    We did not have gun stores when I was a teenager, we bought just about everything at Western Auto Store, Sears Roebuck and Montgomery Ward. Well twenty years ago, lets see, I retired from the Army in 1977, so I guess that makes me a tad bit older then most members. LOL
    I guess you are about 4 years older than me. I joined the military in 1957. I did not need to buy guns or ammo anywhere because my father had many rifles and pistols. He purchased ammo as fast as I could shoot it, always had thousands of rounds of various calibers.

My father was born in 53 and tells me all kinds of stories about him and his brothers going out and blowing stuff up with dynamite and various other explosive chemicals and compounds that they bought at the hardware store when they were young.

20years ago I was 20 and dating my wife of now 18 years. IMHO the only real improvement I see are the internet so we can research things easier and have forums like these to learn from. Almost 20 years ago I bought my first hand gun, a .357. Twenty years latert he .357 is still my favorite caliber. Tenty yeras later I have 4 wonderful kids 5,10,13, 16. But I do remember in the 80's as a kid I would spend afternoons after school shooting my pellet rifle for hours in the side yard. We didnt live in the country we lived in Louisville Ky in a trailer park. No one thought anything of it. Its just what kids did. Yep alot has changed in 20 years but I'm not so sure for the best.

I think the biggest changes over the last 20 years have been 1) a near universal adoption of "shall issue" concealed pistol permits and 2) half the country now suckling at the teat of government. 1) is our last line of defense against 2).
    nontechguy and candalos like this.
    "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." ~ P. J. O'Rourke

Quote Originally Posted by F350 View Post
    Changed for the positive my @

In 1967 I was 14, walked into a gun shop, put my money on the counter and walked out with an M-1 carbine, bayonet & scabbard, sling & oiler, mag pouch that slipped on the stock, 2 15 round mags and 500 rounds of ammo; which I carried through town, past the police and sheriffs depts and through the courthouse to get a drink of water without so much as a second look. In Jr high we got on the buss in the morning wearing our hunting coats full of shells and carrying our shotguns which we left in our hall lockers and walked home shooting quail, rabbit and squirrel. In high school during hunting season more than half the pickups in the school parking lot had shotguns hanging in the back window and on Friday afternoon last period we had a trap and skeet club, in the middle of winter it was a reloading club.

Changed for the better?!?!?! I think not!!!
    Wow! Must have been nice.

Quote Originally Posted by slidewayz240 View Post
    My father was born in 53 and tells me all kinds of stories about him and his brothers going out and blowing stuff up with dynamite and various other explosive chemicals and compounds that they bought at the hardware store when they were young.
    Down in the South, it's a tremendous fishing tool.
    slidewayz240 and gasmitty like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

MJK
    Biggest (+): I converted to Glock
    Biggest (-): The election and re-election of Barrack Obama
    [T]he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people. ---Tenche Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.

To me the biggest change is the holsters we have to choose from. Back then I only had 4 or 5 holsters in the box. And now with all the choices I have three full boxes of holsters I don't use.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

20 years ago I was impressive, young and aggressive. Savin the world on my own. Now I've settled down to focus on my raising my kids and preparing them for this crazy world we live in.
    Eric357 likes this.

Re: How things have changed on the past 20 years

Quote Originally Posted by TWO GUNS View Post
    To me the biggest change is the holsters we have to choose from. Back then I only had 4 or 5 holsters in the box. And now with all the choices I have three full boxes of holsters I don't use.
    Wana get rid of some (or one)?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

Re: How things have changed on the past 20 years

Quote Originally Posted by IAm_Not_Lost View Post
    That actually made me laugh out loud. The Glock is both utilitarian and beautiful, all at the same time.
    This made me lol. Beautiful is NEVER a word I would use to describe any current Glocks.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2
    msgt/ret and hek1620 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ksgunner View Post
    In 1967 I was getting shot at by the VC..
    Thank you for your service and welcome home.
    nontechguy likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links