How things have changed on the past 20 years

This is a discussion on How things have changed on the past 20 years within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by gasmitty With all due respect, I don't know where or when Kahrs were ever considered cheap or unreliable. Their first series of ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: How things have changed on the past 20 years

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    With all due respect, I don't know where or when Kahrs were ever considered cheap or unreliable. Their first series of guns was all steel, and they didn't move into "plastic" guns for several years later - probably after 2000, hardly 20 years ago. Are you perhaps confusing them with another manufacturer?
    I think you show your age. years ago Kahrs where regaurded the same way as Hi-Point and Kel-Tec is today JUNK!!!!!!

2. Remove Ads

Pro

How things have changed on the past 20 years

20 years ago I bought my Glock 17. Still own it. Still as reliable as ever! Awesome gun then and now. While some things change, some stay the same.
    Minimum government, maximum freedom.

NRA - Member
    GOAL - Member

It's funny how the Kahrs of 20 odd years ago weren't priced like the High-Points of the day. Guess Kahrs were regarded as higher priced junk.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member
    Yep, remember Western Auto had a full section that was just handguns and long guns.

msgt/ret When you got to Altus, was the Otasco store still open? It sat in the shopping center at the corner of Falcon Road and Main. I bought a Ruger Blackhawk .357 right after I got stationed there in 81. Walked in, plopped down the money and walked out, no questions asked. Went back the next day and picked up a Marlin 75c .22 rifle.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    Anyone remember the Gun catalog you could get from Sears and Roebuck? It was like the Wish Book for guns!
    Ogre likes this.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

In 1967 I was negative 23 lol
    Sig Sauer P229 SCT, Sig Sauer P938, Glock 19 Gen 4, Glock 17 Gen 3, Remington 870, Grandpa's Old Single Shot 12 Gauge

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves. Abraham Lincoln

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tundra5.7 View Post
    Anyone remember the Gun catalog you could get from Sears and Roebuck? It was like the Wish Book for guns!
    Yes and I got my first lever gun from Sears.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Yep, remember Western Auto had a full section that was just handguns and long guns.

msgt/ret When you got to Altus, was the Otasco store still open? It sat in the shopping center at the corner of Falcon Road and Main. I bought a Ruger Blackhawk .357 right after I got stationed there in 81. Walked in, plopped down the money and walked out, no questions asked. Went back the next day and picked up a Marlin 75c .22 rifle.
    IIRC when I got to Altus in 1984 Otasco had already been replaced by Wal-Mart, when I went back a few years there was an Otasco in the building K-Mart had been in.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by NCSoxFan View Post
    20 years ago I was impressive, young and aggressive. Savin the world on my own. Now I've settled down to focus on my raising my kids and preparing them for this crazy world we live in.
    Do you now live in the islands, fish the pilings, and drink your Green Label each day?
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by pat701 View Post
    I think you show your age. years ago Kahrs where regaurded the same way as Hi-Point and Kel-Tec is today JUNK!!!!!!
    Not sure where you were 20 years ago, but I think you'd be hard-pressed to find more than a couple of folks to agree with you.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by snowy View Post
    20 years ago Kahr was considered a cheap gun that was unreliable, I would have never bought one. 20 years ago I hated those newer plastic pistols, they had no soul and looked Boxy. Now, the Kahr is considered an awesome pistol...
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    It's funny how the Kahrs of 20 odd years ago weren't priced like the High-Points of the day. Guess Kahrs were regarded as higher priced junk.
    Not sure where you were 20 years ago, but I think you'd be hard-pressed to find more than a couple of folks to agree with you.
    Uh, fellows - 20 years ago, Kahrs were considered nonexistent, by EVERYBODY. There was complete agreement on the topic at that time.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member

He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

OK then, 18 years ago.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Smitty 20 years ago i had 15 years on the Chicago Police Dept in the "Ghetto" they wheren't using Sigs ans Glocks then. I know what was recovered off the streets at that time in history.

Smitty 20 years ago i had 15 years on the Chicago Police Dept in the "Ghetto" they wheren't using Sigs ans Glocks then. I know what was recovered off the streets at that time in history.
    Then you also know that NOBODY was calling Kahrs "junk" back then. NOBODY!
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member

He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by snowy View Post
    20 years ago Kahr was considered a cheap gun that was unreliable, I would have never bought one. 20 years ago I hated those newer plastic pistols, they had no soul and looked Boxy. Now, the Kahr is considered an awesome pistol and I love the Polymer pistols especially with the high capacity Mags.

The Hollow point was considered a good self defense round, But the newer HP's expand twice as much as they used to.

Things have really changed, for the better.

What has been the biggest positive change for you in the past few years?
    I own a lot more guns and ammo now than I did 20 years ago...that's definitely a positive change in my book.
    Kilowatt3 and sebring like this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links