How things have changed on the past 20 years

This is a discussion on How things have changed on the past 20 years within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; 20 years ago Kahr was considered a cheap gun that was unreliable, I would have never bought one. 20 years ago I hated those newer ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: How things have changed on the past 20 years

How things have changed on the past 20 years

20 years ago Kahr was considered a cheap gun that was unreliable, I would have never bought one. 20 years ago I hated those newer plastic pistols, they had no soul and looked Boxy. Now, the Kahr is considered an awesome pistol and I love the Polymer pistols especially with the high capacity Mags.

The Hollow point was considered a good self defense round, But the newer HP's expand twice as much as they used to.

Things have really changed, for the better.

What has been the biggest positive change for you in the past few years?

2. Remove Ads

Changed for the positive my @

In 1967 I was 14, walked into a gun shop, put my money on the counter and walked out with an M-1 carbine, bayonet & scabbard, sling & oiler, mag pouch that slipped on the stock, 2 15 round mags and 500 rounds of ammo; which I carried through town, past the police and sheriffs depts and through the courthouse to get a drink of water without so much as a second look. In Jr high we got on the buss in the morning wearing our hunting coats full of shells and carrying our shotguns which we left in our hall lockers and walked home shooting quail, rabbit and squirrel. In high school during hunting season more than half the pickups in the school parking lot had shotguns hanging in the back window and on Friday afternoon last period we had a trap and skeet club, in the middle of winter it was a reloading club.

Changed for the better?!?!?! I think not!!!
    msgt/ret, Eric357, Dooger and 5 others like this.

With all due respect, I don't know where or when Kahrs were ever considered cheap or unreliable. Their first series of guns was all steel, and they didn't move into "plastic" guns for several years later - probably after 2000, hardly 20 years ago. Are you perhaps confusing them with another manufacturer?
    OD* and Secret Spuk like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    I’m with F350 on this one, in 1967 I was 17 and I could walk into any hardware store (did not have any gun stores) put down my money and buy any gun or ammunition I could afford. We also took our guns to school with us during hunting season but since our lockers were we had to leave them in the principal’s office. We even had a hardware store the sold pretty much anything from diapers to dynamite and at 18 I could just walk in and even buy dynamite and caps if I needed to blow a stump all that was needed was to sign the record book. So no there are a lot of things that have not changed for the better.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Nanny state.
    "The time is now near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be freemen or slaves."
    ------------------------------------— George Washington 1776
    Gun free zones
    are safe havens-
    FOR CRIMINALS

Re: How things have changed on the past 20 years

F350, in 1967, I wouldn't even be born for another 11years. I want to live in the world you describe.

-SF

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Quote Originally Posted by SlyFerret View Post
    F350, in 1967, I wouldn't even be born for another 11years. I want to live in the world you describe.

-SF

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    In 1967, my mom was 2.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by joshw0000 View Post
    In 1967, my mom was 2.

In 1967 I was 5. Is your mom hot?

20 years ago, I was 6 and my dad would say, with frequency, "if gas ever gets over the price of milk, I'm never driving again!" He still drives....

However, candy cigarettes, cap guns, and karate poppers were the norm. Slip and slides were made out of garbage bags with soapy water and we drank from garden hoses.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

20 years ago Gaston Glock studied the 2X4 for inspiration on his new pistol grip.
    msgt/ret, BamaT, Snub44 and 7 others like this.

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sebring View Post
    20 years ago Gaston Glock studied the 2X4 for inspiration on his new pistol grip.
    That actually made me laugh out loud. The Glock is both utilitarian and beautiful, all at the same time.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Quote Originally Posted by DaveInEdmonds View Post
    In 1967 I was 5. Is your mom hot?
    I can't answer that, lol.

When I was growing up a 1963 Volkswagen Bug was our family car. I still remember the day my Dad got in ranting and raving "Five Dollars to fill up a Volkswagen? This is unbelievable!!!"

It only had a 10 gallon tank.

I was born in 1968, and as a young teen I carried my .22 rifle everywhere, walking and riding my bike, and no one thought anything of it. We didn't have computers, cell phones, and we rode our bikes (without lights and helmets) all over town. As long as we were home by the time the streetlights came on we were fine.

I remember when we got our first color TV.

Life was much simpler, and in a good way. The era of instant information at your fingertips (good and bad) isn't necessarily a good thing. I've been saying for years that the internet will be the downfall of society. Whatever happened to sitting on the front porch and making ice cream while Dad told funny jokes??? Going to the lake for a Saturday picnic and some fishing???
    Ogre and nontechguy like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    We did not have gun stores when I was a teenager, we bought just about everything at Western Auto Store, Sears Roebuck and Montgomery Ward. Well twenty years ago, lets see, I retired from the Army in 1977, so I guess that makes me a tad bit older then most members. LOL
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

20 years ago, I had been a cop for 15 years and had just upgraded from a brick cell phone to a half-a-brick one and my department had just converted from the S&W 686 to the (POS) S&W 5906. What a boat amchor!
    Livin the Life!
    Join and Support the NRA

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links