Trying to Decide on Which 1911

This is a discussion on Trying to Decide on Which 1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Greetings All, First post here after lurking for some time. Iím thinking about getting back to a 1911 platform because it just seems to fit ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Trying to Decide on Which 1911

Trying to Decide on Which 1911

Greetings All,

First post here after lurking for some time. Iím thinking about getting back to a 1911 platform because it just seems to fit so perfectly in my hand. I want to stay with 9mm as I like that caliber and I have lots of that ammo at home.

The new gun would be my every day carry but I also donít have $1000 or more to spend on it. I would probably trade my HK USP for part of the purchase. That was my duty gun and as Iím retired, it seems to be rather large to try and conceal.

There are a couple of RIA 1911 GI Series locally for about $600 and today I saw an STI Spartan at Cabelaís for I think $700. I liked the FO front sight on the STI. Pro and con opinion on each please or should I try and save up the dough for one of the Kimbers or Springfield Armory. Thank you.

Cheers,

David

2. Remove Ads

Welcome, David!

Great question. After I get my BUG (Sig p938, stainless slide aluminum grips), if I can ever find one, I'll be saving up to buy my first 1911. I've been scouring the net for info and advice and from a purely 'internet research' point of view, which could be highly suspect, it sounds like Springfields are a great model for a first 1911. I've seen the Range Officer, Mil spec and Loaded mentioned as good ones to start with under a grand (some as low as $700-750) with the TRP being a really great option if you can afford it at around $1200. Also, Colt, Colt and Colt. Entry level ones seem to be just a bit over where you're talking. Purists seem to really like them; they seem quite open to later customization and have proven to be reliable. Dan Wesson Heritage interests me, but I'm not sure I want to go that high or if I'll ever see one in stock. I definitely am seeing a lot of guys really like their STI's so unless someone here can give you a reason not to, they look good. And of course there's Sig. Lot's of guys seem to love their Sig 1911s.

Anyway, when you win the lottery you can order your Les Baer, Ed Brown or Nighthawk.

So, chime in guys. Enquiring minds want to know...

I'd take an STI any day over the RIA guns. I don't own either, but I'm a 1911 guy and I shoot weekly with many more. STI makes some seriously durable guns and their customer service is quite good.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I have a Kimber in 9mm (stainless pro carry) and I really enjoy that. A family member also owns the Kimber Ultra CDP in 9mm and that is an excellent gun as well. You can find the Kimbers for around a grand on Gunbroker.com. Otherwise I have shot a Sig and springer and preferred the sig. More money though.
    I think guns are like insurance. I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

I'm saving for my first 1911 and I'm leaning toward the Kimber myself. Great looking pistol and I have heard nothing but good things about them.

Take a look at Ruger 1911. Lots of upgrades for $600+

JD
    Administrator

Re: Trying to Decide on Which 1911

Never trade in a gun when you can sell it outright. You will always losses money on a trade. Either keep the USP or sell it yourself.

If your are looking to move a gun you like, I would highly recommend avoiding the "budget" guns and get something a little higher up the food chain.

Sent via Tapatalk 2, and still using real words.

Here's a thought....

You like 9mm. You own a USP. Provided that your USP is a V1, you can operate it as a single-action only pistol, much the same as a 1911. Perhaps that can be part of the answer for your handgun needs?

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    I vote for the Kimber or Springfield EMP. Most folks never eventually regret buying quality once they have it.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

NMB
    600$ is way overpriced on the RIA.
    NRA Member
    Certified Kitchen Gunsmith

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
    - C.S. Lewis

VIP Member
    I'll second that!!!

I carry my USP45c V1 in the same condition as my 1911's. At times it's my primary, since all my 1911's are Gov. models, because it's lighter. If you can do that you can carry the USP in condition 1 and save up for a 1911 and your set.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Re: Trying to Decide on Which 1911

You may want to checkout metro arms American classic. A great quality inexpensive 1911. Should be able to pick one up around $500. Similar to the RIA

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I have a Springfield Armory 45ACP which is a dream and have heard good things about their 9MM version as well as STI.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder

My opinion is the 1911 was meant to be in .45 acp. If you must go 9mm it limits you (given your budget) to either the Springer EMP or the Kimber Aegis line if you want a quality gun. I have a Kimber in .45acp and absolutely love it.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, ďWhat kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?Ē He replied: ďA republic, if you can keep it.Ē

why spend all the cash just pick up a RIA 1911. these are nice pistols
    " A free people ought not only to be armed & disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms & ammo to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them including their own government"
    George Washington

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links