Multiple caliber barrels for a single gun?

This is a discussion on Multiple caliber barrels for a single gun? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have seen people buy a .40 Shield and then order a 9mm slide, barrel, and magazine for it so they would have a two ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Multiple caliber barrels for a single gun?

I have seen people buy a .40 Shield and then order a 9mm slide, barrel, and magazine for it so they would have a two guns in one. I understand that it is cheaper than buying two guns but are the savings worth it?

Personally, I rather have two guns.

Re: Multiple caliber barrels for a single gun?

You see a lot of people do it for practice. For me, if I buy a gun chambered for a certain caliber, I'm going to use that caliber and not modify it into something it isn't.

The savings come in shooting 9mm at the range instead of .40 S&W.
    oneshot likes this.

VIP Member
    I am planning to purchase a 40S&W barrel for my Delta Elite, 40S&W costs half as much as 10MM and I do not have to change the mags.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

GH
    I plan on getting a 9MM barrel for the M&P40C that I'm still waiting to be delivered. That would mean I'd also have to get 9MM mags, too. If I decide on a .357sig barrel then I'd be able to use the original .40 cal magazines. I'm still in the research stage & won't make any decisions until I actually have the gun in my hand. I know several shooters who use 9MM in their .40 cals at the range. With possible long term ammo shortages it might be nice to be able to chose from 3 different calibers. Hopefully I could find a box in at least one caliber. I certainly can't afford 2 or 3 guns at this time & extra barrels might be my best decision. Otherwise I'd suggest to buy a separate gun for each caliber.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Its easier and cheaper to buy a properly fitted conversion barrel than to buy slide barrel and mags... IE. I have a G22 .40 cal. I can buy a 9mm conversion barrel that is the same outside diameter as the .40 cal barrel for proper fit in the original slide but is chambered for 9mm. That way all I have to do is buy 9mm mags and I am good to go. I personally feel it is important to practice what you carry as 9mm has different characteristics than a .40 sw. For practicing the basics and such I use a 22 pistol.

VIP Member
    Personally, I'd take the money that you'd have to put into a decent barrel and magazines and buy a basic reloading setup. Then you'll have ammo savings and you'll be more self sufficient.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

I bought a Lone Wolf 9mm for my Glock 23 .40 mainly because I can only use lead bullets at my club's indoor range and since I was doing it anyway I figured the 9mm lead is easier for me to find.

I got a 9mm barrel for my M&P40, mainly to save money on ammo for range use. Ironically, with the current panic and ammo shortage I have been shooting mostly .40 as it is generally less difficult to acquire.

Re: Multiple caliber barrels for a single gun?

I just bought my 40 S&W Shield and from what I've seen online, a 9 mm barrel for it is about $80. One of my buddies is getting into reloading (he has everything except the powder and one other part that he ordered a month ago) and he's a die hard 9 mm guy. So it'll be cheaper for me to invest $80 and use his cheap bullets for target practice then to spend about $180 to buy him the pieces he needs to load 40s and then get him all the materials when I'm the only person who will be using the bullets.

...plus I like the fact that he can shoot a few hundred rounds through his guns to make sure he knows what he's doing before I shoot any.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2
    nontechguy likes this.

That's one of the many reasons I'm on a list to get a Glock 20. I don't really want a .40S&W or a .357 SIG enough to warrant buying a whole firearm dedicated to either caliber, but I'd drop a few bills on a barrel.

My brother bought a 357Sig in a Sig gun. Could not find ammo. 2 years ago I bought him a 40S&W barrel for his SIG and it was drop in and shoots fine with the same mags that came with the gun. He has a supply of 357SIG social but we reload 40S&W for both of our guns. Yes, two caliber guns work just fine.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

Quote Originally Posted by MJB_17 View Post
    I got a 9mm barrel for my M&P40, mainly to save money on ammo for range use. Ironically, with the current panic and ammo shortage I have been shooting mostly .40 as it is generally less difficult to acquire.
    Ain't that the truth! I'm kinda wishing I had a .40 right about now. Actually, I'm thinking of acquiring another HK USP in .40 or .357 Sig for this, among other reasons. I also figure, even though the doomsday folk say "You'll never find a stash of ammo so what you hoard will be what you have," that if I SHOULD for whatever reason 'stumble' upon some kind of stash, it seems having the flexibility to shoot what I find would be advantageous. I'm also thinking of getting a TC Dimension for this, among other reasons.

I've been thinking about a second barrel for my M&P40c. Either a 9mm for less expensive target shooting or a 357 sig. The 357 sig would be less to get into (since the mags are the same). I'm not sure if the 357 sig has more punch than the .40 . If it does, it would be nice for wilderness/animal protection. Anyone have real world experience with 40 & 357? Does the 357 have more stopping power? (If this is a stupid question, ease forgive me, I'm fairly new).

Picked up the other day a Sig P250 2Sum 9mm. The P250 can convert caliber as well as fame size. I'll will purchase the 45ACP conversion kit next. I think the price is around $285 for the conversion kit.
    Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links