Glock grip texturing

This is a discussion on Glock grip texturing within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Good job! But no matter how much you stipple it, it's still a Glock at the end of the day... Haha. JK....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Glock grip texturing

Good job!

But no matter how much you stipple it, it's still a Glock at the end of the day... Haha. JK.
    DandLfam likes this.

2. Remove Ads

you went vertical now go horizontal
    " A free people ought not only to be armed & disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms & ammo to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them including their own government"
    George Washington

Looks good. I would like to know what tip style you used and your method. I have been playing with stippling on small things such as mag axtenders and such. I really like the pattern you did but not have been able to achieve a satisfactory version of my owm. I have found my favorite so far is the Dimple methos...grip looks like the surface of a golf ball when your done. I finish sand everything and it comes out great. super grip and very very comfortable. I did a friends mag bases for him after he felt my mag extensions on my SR40C. I havent gotten the juevo's to do a frame yetlol. Nice work !

Glock grip texturing

Taurahe- I used and ordinary Weller soldering iron with the plain pointed tip. I did file it a little to give it a little sharper point, but otherwise just like it came out of the box.

The technique that I used was starting at the top of an area and going down, I just made small squiggly lines about 1/4 to 1/2 inch long. Once I had an area mostly filled in I would go back and get any bare spots by adding lines that overlapped the existing adjacent lines.

Finally, as a finishing touch I turned the soldering iron almost sideways ( 90 degrees to the grip surface) and brushed in down all of the textured areas top to bottom. That melted and blended any really jagged areas of polymer that had been raised by the original cuts, and I BELIEVE gave the job an overall more "polished" appearance.

Glock grip texturing

Quote Originally Posted by thephanatik View Post
    Looks good. I did something pretty similar with my XD9sc

Attachment 68105
    The XD work is super subtle. Did it improve the grip a lot? Looks sweet!

looks good! Don't think I have the guts to try that. Would hurt resale value if i ever decide to trade up to Gen 4's. I put Talon Grips on my Gen 3 G26 and so far am very happy with grip.
    Pyzik likes this.
    Glock 20sf, Glock 19 gen4, Glock 26 gen3, Colt 1911 Series 80

That looks good!

I went a little further than that with my Gen 3 G23. The finger humps didn't fit my hands. My middle finger sat on top instead of in between the humps. I ground off the humps and stippled the frontstrap. The stippling has the look and feel of very rough sandpaper.

"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

VERY nice...I just don't have the "guts" to do it myself.
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Quote Originally Posted by RubenZ View Post
    looks good! Don't think I have the guts to try that. Would hurt resale value if i ever decide to trade up to Gen 4's. I put Talon Grips on my Gen 3 G26 and so far am very happy with grip.
    I purchased my first M&P with a stipple job already done on it and didn't think twice. It wasn't ugly and I had planned on doing it anyway.

Glock grip texturing

Quote Originally Posted by Chesafreak View Post
    That looks good!

I went a little further than that with my Gen 3 G23. The finger humps didn't fit my hands. My middle finger sat on top instead of in between the humps. I ground off the humps and stippled the frontstrap. The stippling has the look and feel of very rough sandpaper.

I like that! It's just subtle enough without going overboard. I've seen a lot of polymer guns ruin by guys that didn't know when to quit.

If you Google image "Glock Stippling" one of first ones that you will see looks like someone used a hot curtain rod!

Glock grip texturing

I had considered burning down my finger grooves, but they fit me fine on the 19.

My next project will be the G26. It doesn't fit my hand as well, so I may have to alter it more than I did the 19.

I'll post pics when I'm done with it.

Sponsor

Thumbs up

Nice job RonCo!!

Thanks for sharing and keep up the good work...
    "...with liberty and justice for all..."
    (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states). - D. Stanhope

D.R. Middlebrooks - Pro Shooting Coach & Custom Gunsmith
    Tactical Shooting Academy & Custom Shop
    www.TacticalShooting.com

Quote Originally Posted by RonCo View Post
    The XD work is super subtle. Did it improve the grip a lot? Looks sweet!
    The texturing on the sides is just enough to add a little grip. I didn't want it too rough since sometimes it sits directly against my skin. It is definitely a noticeable improvement. I made the front and back of the grip much rougher since it doesn't rub up against me. It's more like sandpaper. It really locks the gun into my hand.

I did some tests with it before and after. I had a friend try to grab it out of my hand (unloaded and pointed away from him of course). Before I textured it, he could twist it around in my hand a bit. When my hand was wet, it would twist right out, no matter how hard I was grabbing it. With the texturing, It would stay locked into my grip and all he could do was twist my wrist. Obviously with proper leverage, he was still able to overpower me, but it made it significantly harder.

I never really had a problem with shooting it before, so for me, the texturing was mostly for weapon retention from someone trying to grab it. I did actually notice I was able to mitigate the recoil a little better with the texture, so that's just a bonus.
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

That looks great. The key is how it feels to you when you hold it. If it feels right then you did good.
    Ted

S&W9c w/RMR Red Dot, Wilson CQB, LB Premier II
    STI HP Edge 40, STI Trojan 9mm

NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by thephanatik View Post
    It really locks the gun into my hand.

I never really had a problem with shooting it before, so for me, the texturing was mostly for weapon retention from someone trying to grab it.
    This is exactly why I did it. I could stand in front of a stationary target in the weaver stance and shoot all day, but you're not very likely to utilize a handgun in a true defensive role under such ideal circumstances.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links