Tell me about the Shield

This is a discussion on Tell me about the Shield within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I really like the look and feel of the M&P Shield. Tell me how you like these little pistols. I am leaning towards one in ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Tell me about the Shield

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar

Tell me about the Shield

I really like the look and feel of the M&P Shield. Tell me how you like these little pistols. I am leaning towards one in 40 S&W, mainly because my duty firearm is chambered in 40. Anyone had any issues with theirs? I could easily see one replacing my G27 as my off duty weapon.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

2. Remove Ads

u·ni·corn
    /ˈyo͞onəˌkôrn/
    Noun

1. A mythical animal typically represented as a horse with a single straight horn projecting from its forehead.

2. A heraldic representation of such an animal, with a twisted horn, a deer's feet, a goat's beard, and a lion's tail.

Oh you said Shield....Never mind. You do, however, stand a greater chance seeing a unicorn than a Shield, unfortunately.
    zonker1986 and Goat_Herder like this.
    “Owning a handgun doesn’t make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.” Jeff Cooper

http://carniakcustom.com/

The Shield is a mythical firearm supposedly made by S&W. Like Bigfoot, sightings have been claimed, but empirical proof is lacking.

Seriously, there is a reason that they are impossible to come by. Everybody wants one, including me. There is a reason for that, and that really ought to tell you what you need to know.

Munch, you trumped me as I was typing.
    zonker1986 likes this.

Can't comment on the .40 but I own the 9mm and so far I really like it. I think it will replace my xd subcompact as my edc gun, haven't put enough rounds though it yet but really like the trigger better than the xd and i think it will conceal better being single stack and being quite a bit thinner.

I love mine. My local LGS had a 40 sitting around (2 actually) for a while. They saud they had a run on the 9's when they got them in, no one wanted the 40's. Now it seems the reverse, as they had at least 1 9 and no 40's left.

Conceals nicely. The only issue I've heard of is the mag drop but I haven't experienced it but there a few that have.

Quote Originally Posted by multistage View Post
    The Shield is a mythical firearm supposedly made by S&W. Like Bigfoot, sightings have been claimed, but empirical proof is lacking.

Seriously, there is a reason that they are impossible to come by. Everybody wants one, including me. There is a reason for that, and that really ought to tell you what you need to know.

Munch, you trumped me as I was typing.
    Great minds.....
    “Owning a handgun doesn’t make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.” Jeff Cooper

http://carniakcustom.com/

I lucked out and found one back when there actually some out there to be had.

I haven't really spent a whole lot of time on the range with it as it is a carry piece and not a range gun, but right after I purchased it, I put 300 rounds thru it and it never sneezed; that was after putting FMJ and HP's down range accurately. One of things that many speak of is the trigger. The only M&P pistols I own are the Shield 9 and an M&P 22...so I don't really have much to compare too. I will say, that I have handled other M&P's as well as XD's at the LGS and didn't really care for either of their triggers. Getting back to the Shield...it is different. Having owned a few Glocks in my day, I would say that for a striker fired pistol, it kind of reminds of how a Glock trigger feels. If that helps at all.

What I like about it, it is nice to carry something that is a lot lighter and thinner than a 1911, SP101 or a Sig once in a while.

As far as a Shield in .40....I have heard of teething problems. Thats not to say that all of them have problems, but one thing that gets mentioned the most is magazine drop when shooting a full mag +1. Go to the S&W forum and read the M&P forum. They have loads of information there.

I don't have a whole lot of pics, but here are a few...

Quote Originally Posted by Munch View Post
    u·ni·corn
    /ˈyo͞onəˌkôrn/
    Noun

1. A mythical animal typically represented as a horse with a single straight horn projecting from its forehead.

2. A heraldic representation of such an animal, with a twisted horn, a deer's feet, a goat's beard, and a lion's tail.

Oh you said Shield....Never mind. You do, however, stand a greater chance seeing a unicorn than a Shield, unfortunately.

LOL.....
    Kimber Solo 9mm, Walther PPS 9mm
    Kel Tec PF9 9mm, Ruger LCR .38
    Maverick 88 Tactical 12 ga shotgun at bedside
    Lifetime NRA member

Quote Originally Posted by Munch View Post
    u·ni·corn
    /ˈyo͞onəˌkôrn/
    Noun

Actually, the LGS had two, one in 40 and the other in 9. The 40 sold Saturday afternoon. Today they got an invoice for a shipment of Shield's that are on the way.

Distinguished Member Array Phaedrus's Avatar
    The Shield does look pretty good. This will probably be completely un-useful, but since the S&W is basically unobtanium here I wound up getting a Bersa BP9CC. It's pretty close to the same size as the Shield and is very slim. So far it's been completely reliable, but I've only tried ball ammo (since I'm lucky to even be able to get that right now- 9mm ammo is almost as rare as the ol' unicorn...). It could be a viable option if you can't find the Shield.

A LGS in my backyard has 2 Shields in .40 but is asking $650.

I love my 9 mm. Light and thin which makes for a comfortable carry. Very accurate little shooter, which is helped by the nice trigger. Recoil is very managable, but .40 is probably a little snappier.

Good luck in your search.

Tell me about the Shield

Great gun! I have shot the 9, and it was much more pleasant to shoot than my LC9.

My Shield in 40 is fantastic

Accurate, slim, excelent ergos

No FTE, No FTF

Its my EDC
    An imperfect servant of my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ

Buying American made, keeping Americans working
    ....Whenever I still can

What non-shooter are YOU planning on taking to the range?

Senior Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    I bought one in 40 back in July I think it was. I'm fortunate enough to deal with an ethical LGS so the price, at that time, was $395. Here's my assessment;

The upside

- its large enough to be a capable weapon with manageable recoil but it's small enough to conceal and carry very very well
    - after hundreds do rounds I've had only one FTF but that was the ammo I finally determined. It's reliable
    - it's rough and tumble enough that it hasn't yet shown the slightest sign of wear, scratches, etc but for a little tiny bit of holster wear
    - its as accurate as the shooter can be given the size
    - combine 180 gr ammo with the ergonomics and it tames the muzzle flip better than any 40 I've played with. Reaquiring the target is quick and smooth.
    - its a comfortable shooter. You can put a hundred through it without wondering if your hand and wrist have been run over by a truck

The down side

- it feels like a plastic brick in my hand, there is nothing in it that feels like a smooth fit.....not to me
    - the stock trigger remains a bit gritty even after several hundred rounds. I need to do trigger work on it
    - the sights are remarkably unremarkable. Fortunately the after market is now catching up with replacement options. In fact the front sight dot fell out, I added a dab of paint
    - spares mags don't seem to exist
    - S&W customer service will almost beg you not to call them about anything Shield related. They're under water with inquiries.

But the good news is that mine shoots incredibly well. I couldn't part with something that treats me as good as it does.

Good luck.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Thanks for the replies. LGS here had the two Shield's priced at $449.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links