Guns I wished I never owned. - Page 3

Guns I wished I never owned.

This is a discussion on Guns I wished I never owned. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by rammerjammer Kel Tec PF9. At least one malfunction per magazine and after trying to work with it I had to trade it. ...

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Guns I wished I never owned.

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    Kel Tec PF9. At least one malfunction per magazine and after trying to work with it I had to trade it. It is the only gun that I have ever traded/sold away.

Kel Tecs look and feel like they were made in a dimly lit Chinese garage.
    I own a PF9, and mine has been fine. That said, there are tons of people who have results similar to yours. If you go to the Kel Tec forum they tout the "fluff and buff", I personally would never do so, they idea that a new gun requires about 4 hours of modification to make it functional is ridiculous to me. Fortunately, my PF9 has been virtually problem free. I guess I just got lucky. I didn't research the PF9 very much before I bought it, just one with no problems and then bought one the next day. The size and weight are very appealing for deep concealment.

The Taurus 740 I own is the opposite. I bought it knowing there were QC issues, but did anyway. Boy do I regret this! In the 10 months I've owned it I have had to send it back to Maimi no less that 3 times for 1)Front sight went flying off 2) The trigger bar broke (seriously), just straight up snapped 3) After getting it back from Taurus for the trigger, it will no longer lock the slide back at all. My girlfriend bought one also (before I had my first issue), hers shipped from the factory with stripped screws on the sight adjustments and now has a tendency to eject the magazine when fired. Both of ours now sit in their boxes in my closet, the resale value is so bad I'm not even going to bother to make the effort to sell them.

The moral of my experience is A) Don't buy a cheap gun and expect it to be reliable B)Don't trust your life to a cheap gun C) Don't EVER buy a Taurus!

Walther P22, bought an early one with both barrels & all kinds of doodads in a faux carbon fiber case. Pure junk & glad to be rid of it. Taurus Millenium .45, so bad that TAURUS took it back and gave me their Model 945. I immediately traded-it off, unfired.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Taurus PT709, I hated the ergonomics and still bought it...that was my fault.

The real deal-breaker was FTF almost every mag, with multiple types of ammo and two different shooters. I wasn't impressed by the finish I noticed rust forming in the grooves in under two months of ownership, this is probably due to daily carry in a belly belt during North Carolina summer.

I pawned it off for 2/3rds of what it cost me. Bought a SIG a week later and couldn't be happier.

Davis 38 special derringer. The trigger pull was like bench pressing 300 pounds, and not all varieties of 38 range ammo would fit in the chamber and allow it to close. Also a Taurus model 66 disintegrated while I was shooting 125 grain sjhp factor loads in it. Taurus took what was left of it back, and accused me of shooting reloads in it (which I didn't). They eventually sent me a replacement with a seven shot cylinder, and a beefed up frame which works like a champ. At least they honored their warranty and I came out of it with a new revolver.

Quote Originally Posted by nechaev View Post
    Davis 38 special derringer. The trigger pull was like bench pressing 300 pounds, and not all varieties of 38 range ammo would fit in the chamber and allow it to close. Also a Taurus model 66 disintegrated while I was shooting 125 grain sjhp factor loads in it. Taurus took what was left of it back, and accused me of shooting reloads in it (which I didn't). They eventually sent me a replacement with a seven shot cylinder, and a beefed up frame which works like a champ. At least they honored their warranty and I came out of it with a new revolver.
    That is pretty scary, hope you didn't get hurt. I'm assuming no, since if you did you would have enough money to have a gym bag full of HKs and Kimbers! Taurus seems to have their cadre of fanboy fanatics, I actually got banned from a Taurus forum for asking if it was normal for their CS to send back a gun in non working order...

As of right now, at this very second, I cannot think of one gun I regret buying.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by MJB_17 View Post
    That is pretty scary, hope you didn't get hurt. I'm assuming no, since if you did you would have enough money to have a gym bag full of HKs and Kimbers! Taurus seems to have their cadre of fanboy fanatics, I actually got banned from a Taurus forum for asking if it was normal for their CS to send back a gun in non working order...
    Thanks for your concern. No, I was not injured, (except my pride). I fired a round and it did not sound right. I noticed that the cylinder was out of battery, and when I went to push it in, the whole revolver fell apart like in a comedy skit The frame and forcing cone had cracked and the owner of the range at which I was shooting was decent enough to mail the whole mess back to Taurus for me. I hope this is a once in a lifetime experience lol. I believe that the early model 66 .357's were not properly engineered for the high pressure cartridge, but they seem to have corrected the problem, thankfully.

There's actually a Taurus forum?
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Distinguished Member
    Kahr. The hardware "might" be ok but the CS can drop dead IMO. I'll never know.
    StormRhydr likes this.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Thanks for the laugh! Although I have nothing bad to say about my (lonely) Taurus revolver. :)
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Kel-Tec p3at wouldn't fire at all out of the box. Light strikes. Sent Kel-Tec an email, they never replied. Sold it to Gander mountain for half price. Lesson learned.

The only gun I have outright regretted purchasing was a Saiga 12.

The 45 and .357 sig chambered Glocks I bought were ultimately shelved in favor of 9mm but I do not regret having them.

The Charter Arms Mag Pug. One that I got to shoot but, would never buy. Terrible porting and awful trigger.
    QKShooter

What were your thoughts (and critiques) on the ports?

I'm curious because I own one, and have had it spit debris back at me.

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    I had a tarus PT109 in 9mm.The size was perfect for carry but there was a rattle inside and I
    found this extremely annoying.I sold it for what I paid for it. A co-worker tried to do through
    cleaning and damm thing wouldn't go back together he had to take it to gunsmith and it took
    him over an hour.He ended up trading the tarus for a beretta.I will not by a tarus product again.

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    I purchased a new Raven 25cal for fifty bucks.I keep it as a paper weight for 25 years .
    I came close to throwing it away ,but didn't I got $75 on trade for my bodyguard.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Links