The ones that got away...

This is a discussion on The ones that got away... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, there are some posts about guns you regret getting so I thought I'd try another topic- guns you wish you still had. I suppose ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: The ones that got away...

The ones that got away...

Well, there are some posts about guns you regret getting so I thought I'd try another topic- guns you wish you still had. I suppose many of you are like me, with champagne taste and a Night Train budget. Also, if you're like me you sold or traded something in the heat of the moment to satisfy that need to get a new gun...and really regretted parting with said gun. So of all the guns that you let get away, which ones do you most regret letting go of?

My list, sadly, is pretty long. Here are a few of them:

Colt Commander in .38 Super. This was a real beauty of gun! SS, used but in immaculate condition. Seems like I didn't have .38 Super dies and got tired of trying to find ammo, plus it has a pretty stout muzzle blast. Mostly I think I just got an itch for something else I couldn't afford to scratch w/o trading it.

HK USP in 9mm. This might be my single stupidest move! I bought it new shortly after HK introduced it. Mine had tritium sights and was as reliable as death and taxes. Incredibly I sold it to buy an amplifier for my home stereo rig. Later on I sold the amp, too. Sucky thing is that I bought it for around $500, but to replace it would be about a grand with the night sights. Actually I just put a new one on layaway, so fixing this mistake is gonna cost me.

Browning Hi-Power, Practical, X2! At one point I owned three BHPs, my old trusty MK III and a pair of Practicals. I ended up trading them on something I can't even recall now. At the time I figured, hey, no big deal- I'll just pick up another down the road. But the Bush/Clinton AWB-import ban came along and the price of the Brownings doubled almost overnight. To this day I kick myself for parting with both of my Practicals since I've never been able to get another one.

Kimber TLE II. This one is a mixed bag. My Kimber had night sights and was a pretty sweet pistol. But I traded it in on an FNH FNP45 Tactical, also in .45 ACP. Overall I like the FNP a bit more than the Kimber but I probably should have just saved my money and had them both.

Browning A-Bolt Synthetic Stalker in .308 Win. Traded it in since I don't really have much desire to deer hunt now that my Dad has passed. But it was a beauty, would shoot sub-1" groups all day with almost any kind of ammo. Even though I don't plan to hunt I probably should have kept it just in case.

Glock 22 (Gen 1). I bought it new over 20 years ago, but having cut my teeth on SA autos like the BHP & 1911 (and DA/SA that I could carry C1 like the CZ-75) I just couldn't get my mind around the "safe action trigger" of the Glock. It gave me the willies just thinking about carrying it loaded with no hammer or safety lever. I just flat sold that one and it was years before I shot another Glock. But I must admit it shot well and was accurate. I probably didn't give it enough of a chance. Now I have two striker fired guns, a Bersa BP9CC and a Beretta Nano (actually that one is on the way to my local FFL, paid for it but don't have it yet). With the right holster I'm getting more comfortable with the lack of an external safety.

Ruger 10/22. I honestly can't imagine what was going thru my mind with this one! I think I maybe sold it when I went off to college since I couldn't have it in the dorms. It's not a hard gun to replace but at the moment I don't have a .22 rifle at all! And that's just sick. I should pick another one up tomorrow! If only I could get .22 ammo...

There are more but those are the high points. The morale of the story: Never sell a gun! You will always regret it.
    oneshot likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Remington M34 .22 Bolt action. I shot many skunks and other critters with this when I was a boy. It simply "disappeared" from home when I returned from the service. It isn't worth anything except for the sentimental value.

Now the one I wish I really had is my old Remington Model 31 12ga pump. Just because. I sold this one a long time ago.
    "The only thing I'm an expert about is my experience."

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    Fortunately, I don't have any that I truly regret getting rid of. The only one that comes close is Sig P229.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

...kinda like a previous marriage...there's somethin' I miss 'bout ALL of them...

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    My Daisy lever-action BB gun from my childhood, back in the day when they had real springs in them.
    NewtownSam likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I don't sell guns, but I do regret not buying a Lee-Enfield No. 4 I saw at a gun show a few years ago. I figured I would just get one later, but I haven't seen one since.

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    I just let one get away.....Hadnt actually purchased it but went back to get it and it was gone. The new Glock 30S

You need a professional manager to handle your affairs. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    Well, there are some posts about guns you regret getting so I thought I'd try another topic- guns you wish you still had. I suppose many of you are like me, with champagne taste and a Night Train budget. Also, if you're like me you sold or traded something in the heat of the moment to satisfy that need to get a new gun...and really regretted parting with said gun. So of all the guns that you let get away, which ones do you most regret letting go of?

My list, sadly, is pretty long. Here are a few of them:

Colt Commander in .38 Super. This was a real beauty of gun! SS, used but in immaculate condition. Seems like I didn't have .38 Super dies and got tired of trying to find ammo, plus it has a pretty stout muzzle blast. Mostly I think I just got an itch for something else I couldn't afford to scratch w/o trading it.

HK USP in 9mm. This might be my single stupidest move! I bought it new shortly after HK introduced it. Mine had tritium sights and was as reliable as death and taxes. Incredibly I sold it to buy an amplifier for my home stereo rig. Later on I sold the amp, too. Sucky thing is that I bought it for around $500, but to replace it would be about a grand with the night sights. Actually I just put a new one on layaway, so fixing this mistake is gonna cost me.

Browning Hi-Power, Practical, X2! At one point I owned three BHPs, my old trusty MK III and a pair of Practicals. I ended up trading them on something I can't even recall now. At the time I figured, hey, no big deal- I'll just pick up another down the road. But the Bush/Clinton AWB-import ban came along and the price of the Brownings doubled almost overnight. To this day I kick myself for parting with both of my Practicals since I've never been able to get another one.

Kimber TLE II. This one is a mixed bag. My Kimber had night sights and was a pretty sweet pistol. But I traded it in on an FNH FNP45 Tactical, also in .45 ACP. Overall I like the FNP a bit more than the Kimber but I probably should have just saved my money and had them both.

Browning A-Bolt Synthetic Stalker in .308 Win. Traded it in since I don't really have much desire to deer hunt now that my Dad has passed. But it was a beauty, would shoot sub-1" groups all day with almost any kind of ammo. Even though I don't plan to hunt I probably should have kept it just in case.

Glock 22 (Gen 1). I bought it new over 20 years ago, but having cut my teeth on SA autos like the BHP & 1911 (and DA/SA that I could carry C1 like the CZ-75) I just couldn't get my mind around the "safe action trigger" of the Glock. It gave me the willies just thinking about carrying it loaded with no hammer or safety lever. I just flat sold that one and it was years before I shot another Glock. But I must admit it shot well and was accurate. I probably didn't give it enough of a chance. Now I have two striker fired guns, a Bersa BP9CC and a Beretta Nano (actually that one is on the way to my local FFL, paid for it but don't have it yet). With the right holster I'm getting more comfortable with the lack of an external safety.

Ruger 10/22. I honestly can't imagine what was going thru my mind with this one! I think I maybe sold it when I went off to college since I couldn't have it in the dorms. It's not a hard gun to replace but at the moment I don't have a .22 rifle at all! And that's just sick. I should pick another one up tomorrow! If only I could get .22 ammo...

There are more but those are the high points. The morale of the story: Never sell a gun! You will always regret it.
    oneshot likes this.
    I Love Guns!!!

When I lived in Illinois years ago I saw a NIB S&W 3913 on closeout for $175.
    I just thought to myself, "Why would I ever need
    a skinny single stack 9mm like that?"

D'oh.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

VIP Member
    I have no regrets on sales, but I'm quite gifted at walking away from good deals that I regret for the rest of my life.

My uncle's stainless 686 that was engraved by SLED in recognition for services rendered (although he wanted way too much for it).

I walked away from a NIB Kimber Ultra CDP II (with night sights) for $900 two years ago, and it still haunts me.

Then more recently, there was the Colt CCO at my favorite LGS that was priced under the market that I also talked myself out of...

Okay, now I'm depressed...

Not exactly collectible or extremely valuable, but the only gun I've ever traded or sold.

EAA Witness FS P.45, two tone with match grade barrel. I know the guy that has it and intend to purchase it back when able to.
    EDC: M&P 9*2
    PHIL.4:13

NRA

Boy Phaedrus, I had a TLE II as well. I got rid of it when I was raising some funds for another gun purchase. I should have been more patient and just saved up the dough for a while longer and kept that .45. That's the last 1911 I've had, it was one sweet shooter, really accurate, fed anything.
    NRA Life Member

A few:

FM Hi-power clone
    XD45 Service
    Star BM
    Ruger 22/45

Rifles and shotguns:
    Cetme
    .308 VEPR
    Hakim
    Mossberg 590
    Mossberg 190 16ga (my first gun, stupid to let that one go )
    M44 and M38 Mosins

I didn't sell the one I'm thinking of because I never actually owned it. My Dad had a Winchester 32 Special years ago. I don't know where it ended up but I'd sure like to have it now. Same with his Browning 12 gauge.

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    Except for that first Daisy Red Ryder BB gun, I still have every gun I've ever owned starting in the early 1950s.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links